There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The signing of Brian Westbrook... LOVE IT or HATE IT?

The signing of Brian Westbrook... LOVE IT or HATE IT?

There seems to be a mixed opinion on Brian Westbrook as a 49er. I like having Westbrook back there now. We could have a good 3 headed attack back there with Gore, BW, and the rookie Dixon. All 3 catch the ball well out out the backfield! It's just another weapon to help Alex Smith.

As 49ers point out, Westbrook and Gore become NFL's top tandem since 2005 in terms of career yards from scrimmage, with a combined 14,438! I don't understand why people don't like this move? Westbrook will compliment Frank Gore. BW won't be a feature running back. They can also help keep eachother healthy. BW also understands pass blocking schemes well (Better than Anthony Dixon). It makes sense to me.

I understand the concern about his history of concussions too, but that's the chance you take!

[ Edited by PTulini on Aug 16, 2010 at 21:07:48 ]
like it, but don't love it.
Originally posted by defenderDX:

this thread makes since....poll to show where us fans stand

[ Edited by brucesf49 on Aug 16, 2010 at 18:51:24 ]
i like it, not in love with it
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He is at that age where he could go bad overnight. Obviously he might have because no one picked him up yet. On the other hand he was a free agent so he is low risk, so why not see if he has any gas left in the tank.
I've always been a huge Westbrook fan and think he is a great addition. I love it!
solid backup, im not expecting anything great from him. People are acting like this dude is gonna come and tear it up. His concussions scare me.

Its better than having Coffee. Dixon isnt ready so this is nice for him to be able and sit back learn.

Gore is still the man
I personally love the addition of Wesbrook. He provides great depth. I understand that he has lost a step due to injury, but he is still a threat with both his legs and hands out of the backfield. In a double-back set and 3 WRs we could really do some damage. Not only that, but he is a solid veteran than can provide pass blocking (something that Dixon has yet to prove -- for those of you high on Dixon). Not only that, but I believe he is more than capable of handling the load if Frank Gore goes down (knock on wood).

Love it.

However, I loved the way Dixon ran and I hope he doesn't get buried in the depth chart. Give the kid a chance vs. starters!
How could you NOT love it?

I fail to see any negatives in this... he's a great change of pace, third down option for this team. I'm not sure if anyone better was available, but I doubt it.

Does he need to stay healthy? Well, no $h*t! Who DOESN'T need to stay health to play at a high level? Low risk, high reward. Best running back tandem since Craig & Rathman?

Apparently, I love the signing.

BWestbrook.com

Quote:
Brian Westbrook to Join San Francisco 49ers
All Pro Running Back to complete backfield in San Francisco

Washington DC – August 16, 2010: Brian Westbrook today announced that he will sign with the San Francisco 49ers. The details of the contract have not yet been released.

“I can’t wait to get back on the football field. I’m rested, healthy and have been training hard this offseason. I’m excited to bring a renewed passion and intensity to my game and to be a vital part of this offense,” says Westbrook, “It just feels like a really good fit for me.”

Westbrook became an unrestricted free agent in 2010 with his release from the Philadelphia Eagles. Before deciding on San Francisco, several teams expressed interest in Westbrook, most notably the Denver Broncos, St. Louis Rams, and the Washington Redskins.

Career accolades for the Pro-Bowler include records in both rushing and receiving yards for the Philadelphia Eagles, holding the second highest number rushing yards in franchise history. Westbrook has been named the NFC Offensive Player of the Week three times, most recently in 2008 when he recorded a career-high 4 touchdowns in a single game vs. Arizona (2 receiving and 2 rushing.) The Villanova University graduate hails from Ft. Washington, Maryland.
Only 53 votes in but how could the results be like this ?!?! NT is in relative agreement and happy about a move by the 9ers, insane.
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Only 53 votes in but how could the results be like this ?!?! NT is in relative agreement and happy about a move by the 9ers, insane.

I know. in the westbrook signing thread there were a lot of people speaking against it.
Originally posted by brucesf49:
Originally posted by Shorteous:

I know. in the westbrook signing thread there were a lot of people speaking against it.

Ya there is a few, but those people would be pissed if they got 5 out 6 numbers on the powerball lottery.
He's insurance incase of injuries that may or may not paid out.