LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 243 users in the forums

Carr vs. Davis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It's interesting because it appears that Smith and Carr do a lot of the cerebral things right in practice/games (command of the playbook, protections, where guys are supposed to be lined up, check-downs, etc.), but when it comes down to the football side of things, neither compare to Davis during game time.

When it comes to practice, it's clear why Davis struggles. He has to be more structured, more inside his head and focused on the play as Raye has called it. This was Favre's problem early on in his career...he had all the talent in the world, but struggled to play/stay within Holmgren's system (which is highly structured). It took time, but obviously Favre was able to grasp the WC concepts, and coupled with his natural QB skills, became one of the greatest to ever play the game.

No, I'm not saying Nate is the next Favre...that's silly. However, it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows football, that Davis is much more of a pure QB than Smith and Carr. He's a natural at dropping back, sliding to the right spot in the pocket, keeing his eyes downfield and throwing darts to moving targets. It's all "feel" for him, which is how he's had to play given his learning disability. IMO, this gives him an advantage during game-time when you're really not in "think" mode...you're just playing football.

I hope the coaches recognize why there's such a difference between "practice" Davis and "game" Davis, and give him the opportunity to get more playing time with the 1's/2's in the preseason.

If you just go by what Davis does in practice, he'll likely never get a shot in the league...but if you let him play against the top players in the NFL, and see what he can do, you might just find what Holmgren found in #4.

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Aug 16, 2010 at 10:30:14 ]
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
It's interesting because it appears that Smith and Carr do a lot of the cerebral things right in practice/games (command of the playbook, protections, where guys are supposed to be lined up, check-downs, etc.), but when it comes down to the football side of things, neither compare to Davis during game time.

When it comes to practice, it's clear why Davis struggles. He has to be more structured, more inside his head and focused on the play as Raye has called it. This was Favre's problem early on in his career...he had all the talent in the world, but struggled to play/stay within Holmgren's system (which is highly structured). It took time, but obviously Favre was able to grasp the WC concepts, and coupled with his natural QB skills, became one of the greatest to ever play the game.

No, I'm not saying Nate is the next Favre...that's silly. However, it's pretty obvious to anyone who knows football, that Davis is much more of a pure QB than Smith and Carr. He's a natural at dropping back, sliding to the right spot in the pocket, keeing his eyes downfield and throwing darts to moving targets. It's all "feel" for him, which is how he's had to play given his learning disability. IMO, this gives him an advantage during game-time when you're really not in "think" mode...you're just playing football.

I hope the coaches recognize why there's such a difference between "practice" Davis and "game" Davis, and give him the opportunity to get more playing time with the 1's/2's in the preseason.

If you just go by what Davis does in practice, he'll likely never get a shot in the league...but if you let him play against the top players in the NFL, and see what he can do, you might just find what Holmgren found in #4.

Great analysis.

The other thing about Davis, he never seems to panic. He shrugs off pressure, but he also knows when to hit the deck when the line breaks down, he doesn't try to make something out of nothing.
When he fumbled the ball, he just pounced on the ball and layed there, he didn't try any heroics, that was a smart decision.

Hopefully he can get past the dyslexia.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by fly15:
Let him "DEVELOP". We tend to develop and develop QB for eternity...
/quote]

You're just impatient. It takes many years to develop a QB. Not just 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7.

Woooow, well they say 2012 is the end of the world, lets just keep developing Alex till then wtf??
Originally posted by Mrpelonsj:
carr did waaay better than alex i hope carr gets first string hands down...every year alex smith is the same.. i really thought he was gonna make me believe.. but he just look like last years alex.. look at carr just came in and destroyed it.

Carr came in and destroyed himself, how many times was he hit/sacked? sure on paper he played a good solid game, but he could never avoid the rush throughout his whole career and it seems like that hasn't changed a bit. You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
/quote]

You're just impatient. It takes many years to develop a QB. Not just 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7.

Woooow, well they say 2012 is the end of the world, lets just keep developing Alex till then wtf??

LOL!
/quote]

You do know what I said was a play off what LeBron James said during the Miami Heat's championship celebration last month right?

I agree with you. I would like to see Davis and Carr switch roles in the next game or at least one pre-season game. I would like to see how he does against better opponents.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
/quote]

You do know what I said was a play off what LeBron James said during the Miami Heat's championship celebration last month right?

No

That's a good post. Before we go too crazy we should see what Davis can do against 1st and 2nd string guys. But, I agree that his "feel" is something that can't be taught and is a rare commodity.
Smith- Great knowledge of the game very book smart, Average NFL arm, very methodical, not very football savvy, doesn't play out of the box, very mobile, not very accurate, plays better later in games as he understands the defense and can think

Carr- Ok knowledge or IQ, stronger arm then smith, unorthodox release, panics in the pocket, holds ball waaaaaay too long leading to sacks, accurate passer, mobile QB, will only succeed with an Awesome offensive line

Davis- learning disability so low "book" iq, Not good in practice, Rocket arm, extremely football savvy, A gamer, better than average mobility, extremely accurate, needs much more coaching than others to get grasp of offense.

personally to me right now smith is the choice, but Davis should be the clear number 2. My problem with smith is he seems to come around to late in games, he doesnt have what it takes to light a team up at the beginning of the game. Even take it back to the game we played vs the rams last year. Smith stunk it up vs the lowly rams, in fact, it was our defense that won that game with smith coming around in the 4th quarter. Smith needs to play with more "swagger" this year, and play 4 quarters of the game.

Right now smith has the keys to a bentley, so he better not drive this luxury vehicle like a damn pinto!!!! Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Westbrook, Dixon, hill???? WTF bro if you can win with these weapons, u need to find a new day job and hand over the keys!!

Smith you have arguably the most talented player's at our skill position maybe in Niner history! Just how i feel, geter Done..........

Go Niners

Originally posted by STNiner:
Smith- Great knowledge of the game very book smart, Average NFL arm, very methodical, not very football savvy, doesn't play out of the box, very mobile, not very accurate, plays better later in games as he understands the defense and can think

Carr- Ok knowledge or IQ, stronger arm then smith, unorthodox release, panics in the pocket, holds ball waaaaaay too long leading to sacks, accurate passer, mobile QB, will only succeed
with an Awesome offensive line

Davis- learning disability so low "book" iq, Not good in practice, Rocket arm, extremely footbal
l savvy, A gamer, better than average mobility, extremely accurate, needs much more coaching
than others to get grasp of offense.
personally to me right now smith is the choice, but Davis should be the clear number
2. My
problem with smith is he seems to come around to late in games, he doesnt have
what it takes
to light a team up at the beginning of the game. Even take it back to the game we
played vs
the rams last year. Smith stunk it up vs the lowly rams, in fact, it was our
that won
that game with smith coming around in the 4th quarter. Smith needs to play with
more
"swagger" this year, and play 4 quarters of the game.

Right now smith has the keys to a bentley, so he better not drive this luxury vehicle
like a damn
pinto!!!! Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Westbrook, Dixon, hill???? WTF
bro if
you can win with these weapons, u need to find a new day job and hand over the
keys!!

Smith you have arguably the most talented player's at our skill position maybe in
Niner history!
Just how i feel, geter Done..........

Go Niners

In Niner history? You serious? Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig, Brent Jones, Tom
Rathman. And, of course, Joe. The most talented bunch in the skill positions. IMO.
Others may go for the group around Steve Young in 94 or the million dollar backfield. So let's not get carried away. This is a good bunch. Bets we have seen for a while. But they have a long way to go before they can be named in the same breath

[ Edited by English on Aug 18, 2010 at 09:58:41 ]
Davis has WAY more natural ability to play the position than alex. Calm, cool, collected in the pocket and on the run. Wish they'd at least move him to the #2 spot.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by STNiner:

Carr- Ok knowledge or IQ, stronger arm then smith, unorthodox release, panics in the pocket, holds ball waaaaaay too long leading to sacks, accurate passer, mobile QB, will only succeed
with an Awesome offensive line

Davis- learning disability so low "book" iq, Not good in practice, Rocket arm, extremely footbal
l savvy, A gamer, better than average mobility, extremely accurate, needs much more coaching
than others to get grasp of offense.
personally to me right now smith is the choice, but Davis should be the clear number 2. My
problem with smith is he seems to come around to late in games, he doesnt have what it takes
to light a team up at the beginning of the game. Even take it back to the game we
played vs
the rams last year. Smith stunk it up vs the lowly rams, in fact, it was our
that won
that game with smith coming around in the 4th quarter. Smith needs to play with
more
"swagger" this year, and play 4 quarters of the game.

Right now smith has the keys to a bentley, so he better not drive this luxury vehicle
like a damn
pinto!!!! Gore, Davis, Crabtree, Morgan, Ginn, Westbrook, Dixon, hill???? WTF
bro if
you can win with these weapons, u need to find a new day job and hand over the
keys!!

Smith you have arguably the most talented player's at our skill position maybe in
Niner history!
Just how i feel, geter Done..........

Go Niners

In Niner history? You serious? Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Roger Craig, Brent Jones, Tom Rathman. And, of course, Joe. The most talented bunch in the skill positions. IMO. Others may go for the group around Steve Young in 92 or the million dollar backfield. So let's not get carried away. This is a good bunch. Bets we have seen for a while. But they have a long way to go before they can be named in the same breath

Definitely bro, I agree with you, our guys have proved nothing at all yet..... And definitely our 92 team was awesome! Now think of this though, position vs position probowl player vs probowl player i feel we have the best skill players in the NFL, and IF smith preforms, or if we get a QB at the helm that can, these guys will be a very special group especially if we win a couple superbowls within the next 5 years.
I hate to break this to all the *special* fans we have but Nate Davis SUCKS lol he plays against 3rd and 4th string defenders WHO DONT EVEN MAKE THEIR TEAMS and he has moderate success lol. David Carr looked good and so did McCown with the Jaguars. You people honestly don't understand anything about football lol ITS HILARIOUS. Smith might not be the next Drew Brees but Nate Davis IS NOT GOOD and will not start for this team for the next 5 years, possibly ever, THANK GOD. If preseason created winners every team would have signed our former RB hero who led THE LEAGUE IN RUSHING 2 years in a row...his name was Clayton...what's he doing now? thanks have a nice day lol
Natural talent or not Davis isn't ready for the season games. With his learning disability NFL defenses will eat him up. It's not good for us or to his confidence to put him in at this point. If the coaches doesn't think he's ready, he's not ready. Didn't we all learned from not to put qb in too early from A. Smith situation.

With that said I'm all for putting him in at late in the game when we had blown out other team in the 4th this season.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 18, 2010 at 10:13:30 ]
Share 49ersWebzone