There are 47 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Carr vs. Davis

I thought Carr looked pretty good as far as accuracy and arm strength. Sometimes he held the ball too long on the down side. But overall I was somewhat impressed.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I thought Carr looked pretty good as far as accuracy and arm strength. Sometimes he held the ball too long on the down side. But overall I was somewhat impressed.

It is easy to be impressed after watching Smith for 5 years. Can't get much worse.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Yah, he didn't look terrible...nothing special, but definitely not terrible either.
You know this is getting ridiculous.. I keep hearing Nate has 2 more years of developing.. thats absurd. How can rookie QBs like Flacco and Sanchez and Matt Ryan come in the league and do well with their organization. But we are so stuck on Alex Smith (half a decade). Nate just brings a different energy into the game when he comes in like uh ohh something great can happen on any play. But when I see Alex Smith cringe when he is under center you just know the game is headed for disaster.

If I was Sing I would start Alex against Minnesota and have Nate go up against the second string to see what the kid can do. Im tired of seeing him go against 4th stringers. Until we can get a reliable Leader who is comfortable playing the QB postion we can forget doing anything this year. And this year is our best chance of winning the west. We have all the pieces in place at almost every position. Special Team/punt returner (check) Saftey position (check) LBs (check) defensive line (check) Punter (Check) RUnning back ( Double Check) Offensive line (Check) wrs (check) all that is missing is just a QB that can be a leader and do his job consistently.

Hmmm I wonder what this board would be full of if we had drafted Aaron Rogers????
Originally posted by maya0724:
You know this is getting ridiculous.. I keep hearing Nate has 2 more years of developing.. thats absurd. How can rookie QBs like Flacco and Sanchez and Matt Ryan come in the league and do well with their organization. But we are so stuck on Alex Smith (half a decade). Nate just brings a different energy into the game when he comes in like uh ohh something great can happen on any play. But when I see Alex Smith cringe when he is under center you just know the game is headed for disaster.

If I was Sing I would start Alex against Minnesota and have Nate go up against the second string to see what the kid can do. Im tired of seeing him go against 4th stringers. Until we can get a reliable Leader who is comfortable playing the QB postion we can forget doing anything this year. And this year is our best chance of winning the west. We have all the pieces in place at almost every position. Special Team/punt returner (check) Saftey position (check) LBs (check) defensive line (check) Punter (Check) RUnning back ( Double Check) Offensive line (Check) wrs (check) all that is missing is just a QB that can be a leader and do his job consistently.

Hmmm I wonder what this board would be full of if we had drafted Aaron Rogers????

Amen brother ------ let's push the kid and see how he does. I like the idea of stiffening his competition and seeing how he does. Personally I think he might do well and I doubt that if he had a bad outing that he would be the type to somehow wilt from it.
Maybe its too much to mention him as a started. But would like to see what he can do against the 2's in pre season.
I'd take Davis over Carr any day. Why? Because Carr has had his chance to prove himself in this league and he failed. I'd take my chances with Davis. So he has some bad plays in T.C.... big whoop. Some players just take it to another level in game time situations and I think Davis is one of those players. I also feel the same about Jason Hill.
Carr is a good back up for us this year. Don't have the same thinking with Nate Davis. He may throw the good looking ball but there's more to qb than doing that. Like reading defenses and knowing the plays and of where your guys will be down field. I don't think Davis is close to ready.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Carr is a good back up for us this year. Don't have the same thinking with Nate Davis. He may throw the good looking ball but there's more to qb than doing that. Like reading defenses and knowing the plays and of where your guys will be down field. I don't think Davis is close to ready.

I think we all know there is more to being a QB than beautiful passes. What i am thinking here is the FACT that this kids has the raw talent to "ball" seriously. Alex is intelligent but what happens when he has to improvise?? and what happens when Davis has to improvise? This is Alex's last chance to show he is the one and if he fails (i hope not) he will be done. Davis can and will do better if giving the chance, i bet he would have made that VD pass....
carr did waaay better than alex i hope carr gets first string hands down...every year alex smith is the same.. i really thought he was gonna make me believe.. but he just look like last years alex.. look at carr just came in and destroyed it.
to be fair. Carr was playing against backups. They both suck.
Originally posted by ninerfan818:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Davis needs to stop the stupid rookie mistakes and learn more of the playbook IMO...

WTF...He was 5/6 for 89 yards??? Stop the mistakes. Let him develop for another 4 years like Smith??? This teams decision making is atrocious. Putting stock in the Smither for another year is BS.

Davis would learn more if he was #2. Smith should be demoted to #3 and then cut. Carr and Davis are both better QB's but of course the Smith spopporters will throw some excuses at me as to why I am wrong. The proof is the play on the field folks. Not practice.

AGREE 110%

check out my thread
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=144017
Originally posted by mufasa76:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I think we all know there is more to being a QB than beautiful passes. What i am thinking here is the FACT that this kids has the raw talent to "ball" seriously. Alex is intelligent but what happens when he has to improvise?? and what happens when Davis has to improvise? This is Alex's last chance to show he is the one and if he fails (i hope not) he will be done. Davis can and will do better if giving the chance, i bet he would have made that VD pass....

I think Davis improvised because sometimes he has to. Smith would probably rather not improvise because like most qb it's more efficient to play within the system before you can improvise. Look what improvisation get them when Vernon Davis did it yesterday with an incomplete pass. I think Smith can improvise if he has to, I think he and the coaches would like him to get the handle on the system first.

It's too early to call on Davis to be anything other than what he has been, which is a 3rd string qb. Maybe a closer #2. But to expect Davis to be a starter for an extended period during the season, NFL defense will throw things at him. I don't think he can handle that just yet.

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Aug 16, 2010 at 09:45:21 ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 200 for mrgneissguy.
As one of the early Nate Davis supporters, I guess I have to throw my two pennies in. I thought both Davis and Carr looked good. If I'm looking at Carr as #2 and Davis as #3 going into the game, I don't see Carr performing poorly enough or Davis surpassing Carr's performance sufficiently enough to change that. I am, however, pretty happy with the results of both. And it's one showing only, but here are some things I thought regarding all three QBs.

Carr and Davis both appeared more consistently on target than Smith, but I don't think Smith was as bad as his numbers. There is some question as to whether a couple of Smith's off throws were the fault of the receivers, but in general, even the completions (on average) of Carr and Davis seemed better placed than those of Smith.

Carr does seem to hold onto the ball too long. Smith seemed pretty decisive out there, which is nice to see. Davis had the ball in his hands longer than I'd like as well, but he didn't waste any time getting out of the pocket when he felt the rush, so it's not like he was waiting around to get sacked.

Davis looked extremely good throwing on the run. If our O-line struggles, that ability would be a very strong benefit.

Given the concerns about his learning disability, I tried to pay close attention to the variety of plays being called when Davis was on the field. It seemed to me like they ran a good mix of plays, including plays with motion and misdirection. He got the play from the sideline, went into the huddle, and I didn't notice any confusion at the line of scrimmage. He took his time looking at the defense and called out the mic. It appeared he had a good command of the offense during his time in.

Smith completed 3 of 9 passes for 37 yards and a 7.4 rating, David Carr completed 9 of 11 passes for 98 yards, one touchdown and a 134.1 rating, Nate Davis completed 5 of 6 passes for 84 yards and a 118.8 rating.

I like looking at big play potential. Smith averaged 12.3 yards per completion, Carr 10.9, and Davis 16.8. That's a bit of a difference there that is kind of interesting.

All in all, I'd say it was a good showing for Carr and Davis.
Carr was terrible at getting rid of the damn ball and that's exactly what we DON'T need with two rookies starting on the line.
Davis just looks more natural, kinda like he doesn't even need to think about it, he just goes out and executes the play.

I didn't realize that Davis was having such a hard time with the verbiage of the plays, that would be a huge problem when trying to audible at the line.

I honestly believe Nate Davis might be the best QB on the roster.

Hopefully he can start to understand the playbook better.