LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

If we make the playoffs.......

Shop Find 49ers gear online

If we make the playoffs.......

No one is talking Super Bowl. What we are hoping for is a possible end to an embarrassing playoff drought. I am amazed that anyone is even thinking it possible to get in to the BIG SHOW, but our chances dont seem all that great. I love my team, but the Super Bowl still seems SLIGHTLY out of reach. I will say it now, Patrick Willis is the reason we will make it to the playoffs, not Alex Smith, now if (and i really mean IF) we make it to the Super Bowl, we definitely would need superior QB play, which I dont think Alex is capable of providing just yet. Sure he has had his bright spots but surely you cannot believe (and i am truly sorry to say it) that he is ever going to win or even get us to a Super Bowl. Trust me, if he did, I would be totally baffled and stoked, but he will prove that he is nothing more than a smart QB who can be above average at times but for the most part inconsistent and will definitely NOT be an elite QB in 2010. I really do hope for the oppurtunity to eat these words but we will just have to wait n see.
Lovin the optimism...

The Superbowl isn't out of reach, it would just take us clicking on all cylinders at the right time and learning how to finish out games.

The Jet's last year were pretty darn close to getting to the SB with an overrated rookie QB. The Steelers won the SB being the 6th seed. Card's made it to the SB after limping into the playoffs (losing 47-7 to the pats two weeks earlier). Baltimore almost got there as the 6th seed with a rookie QB. Giants won it as a 5th seed. At the beginning of each of these playoffs, these teams had pretty much been written off as no chance. What makes us any different? Except for Warner none of these teams had an established QB at that time. The point is whichever team is the hottest typically makes it to the SB, not the best team.

All this negativity reminds me of a quote from Sh*tmydadsays "That woman was sexy...Out of your league? Son. Let women figure out why they won't screw you, don't do it for them." Let's let the team lose first before we write them off as non-contenders.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by WINiner:

Make all the excuses you want, facts are facts. SB winning teams for nearly 2 decades have all had an elite QB except for 2 teams with yearly dominant defenses.

Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVII
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXVIII
Steve Young, San Francisco 49ers - SB XXIX
Troy Aikman, Dallas Cowboys - SB XXX
Brett Favre, Green Bay Packers - SB XXXI
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXII
John Elway, Denver Broncos - SB XXXIII
Kurt Warner, St. Louis Rams - SB XXXIV
Trent Dilfer, Baltimore Ravens - SB XXXV
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVI
Brad Johnson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - SB XXXVII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXVIII
Tom Brady, New England Patriots - SB XXXIX
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XL
Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts - SB XLI
Eli Manning, New York Giants - SB XLII
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers - SB XLIII
Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints - SB XLIV

There is a reason for that.

Ah... but did all of those QBs start out well, hmmm????

Troy Aikman - first 38 games

14-24 -- record
618 -- completions / 1,055 -- attempts
58.2 -- completion %
7,082 -- yards
31 -- touchdowns / 46 -- interceptions
69.6 -- QB rating
90 -- sacks

Alex Smith - first 43 games

16-24 -- record
660 -- completions / 1,172 -- attempts
56.3 -- completion %
37 -- touchdowns / 43 -- interceptions
69.2 -- QB rating
103 -- sacks

Steve Young - first 38 games

7-18 -- record
358 -- completions / 671 -- attempts
53.2 -- completion %
24 -- touchdowns / 24 interceptions
78.8 -- QB rating
84 -- sacks

Eli Manning - first 41 games

20-19 -- record
690 -- completions / 1,276 -- attempts
52.9 -- completion %
54 -- touchdowns / 34 interceptions
69.4 -- QB rating
66 -- sacks

It may not happen this season, but Smith will likely be the next QB to have struggled and then brought some major postseason success to his team. Deal with it... live it... love it... get on board with it.

This is it. This is his year. If he doesn't show more than he has in the past, last year included, then we had better replace him with a difference maker. IMO QB is the position that holds this team back the most at this point.

I am not a Smith hater. I want Alex to succeed. I just don't think he will, hopefully I'm wrong.
We're probably not making the playoffs. My hope is we can remain competitive.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pelos21:

I've always wanted to meet you mr. pelos....
Share 49ersWebzone