LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 420 users in the forums

Is our Perfect 5-0 Super Bowl record in Jeopardy anytime soon?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is our Perfect 5-0 Super Bowl record in Jeopardy anytime soon?

Originally posted by zozell:
Originally posted by kingairta:
The 5-0 is a little over rated. 5 championships over how long? I'll take each and every appearance in the big game the team can get. You can only win the game if you get there.

5-0 use to mean something. But now there is a team with 6 wins the 5-0 is just another stat. Nothing special.

That team is 6-1 though... IMO 5-0 > 6-1

disagree, 7 appearances with 6 wins is better than 5 wins in 5 appearances
you dumb f**k
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
we're in the easiest division in all of pro-football. Making it to the first round of the playoffs will be no big deal. We will not make it to the NFC Championship, much less the SB, anytime soon. We need a franchise QB (not currently on our roster) and a double digit sack master (probably not on our roster) before we can even think about that happening.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by txzniner:
you dumb f**k

Can't win the sixth without the risk of losing the first.
its anyones game once we make it to the superbowl. if we get there that means we deserve to be there and we'll be ready. i would love to see a niners superbowl, even as huge underdogs like everyone thought we were when Joe Montana harpooned Marino's Dolphins. if we get there we have a chance to win, if we dont get there, we have zero chance to win. id rather have a shot at being 6-0 rather than staying at 5-0 just for the sake of being undefeated in the superbowl. theres a team with 6 rings, we could hold that over dallas and pittsburgh's head when we all had five but now pitt has 6 so it really doesnt matter. and all u people saying we dont have an elite QB so we will lose, just sit back and enjoy the Alex Smith evolution come to its final stages this year, dude is gonna be legit.
Originally posted by redrathman:
I think I could speak for alot of us when I say, I'd rather lose the NFC Championship then lose the Superbowl.

I'm sorry, I stopped reading your post after this sentence.

i agree with him. if we arent going to win the Super Bowl, why even make it and ruin our perfect record? for most teams its a no brainer. even losing the super bowl is great.

but we are the San Francisco 49ers. undefeated in 5 world championships. losing a super bowl is not an option. being 5-0 is what separates us from the rest of the NFL. 5-1 is no good. if we go, we better win.
Originally posted by Niners99:
I think I could speak for alot of us when I say, I'd rather lose the NFC Championship then lose the Superbowl.

i agree with him. if we arent going to win the Super Bowl, why even make it and ruin our perfect record? for most teams its a no brainer. even losing the super bowl is great.

but we are the San Francisco 49ers. undefeated in 5 world championships. losing a super bowl is not an option. being 5-0 is what separates us from the rest of the NFL. 5-1 is no good. if we go, we better win.

Amen!

Amen!

The question is do you want to be the best organization ever or continue to live off of one decade and a half of success?

Man up. You can't get to 6-0 without risking the record. You know how ridiculous this kind of thinking is. Can you imagine saying this to Patrick Willis or Singletary. I want you guys to lose now because we're scared we might lose and tarnish our legacy during the 80's.
[ Edited by tjd808185 on Jul 14, 2010 at 9:02 PM ]

Originally posted by tjd808185:

The question is do you want to be the best organization ever or continue to live off of one decade and a half of success?

Man up. You can't get to 6-0 without risking the record. You know how ridiculous this kind of thinking is. Can you imagine saying this to Patrick Willis or Singletary. I want you guys to lose now because we're scared we might lose and tarnish our legacy during the 80's.

Exactly. There is no shame in getting to a Super Bowl and losing.

Hell, I'll take 5-10 in the Super Bowl over 5-0. That just means we've been to 10 more Super Bowls which (surprise) is a good thing.

If you ask fans from any of the othe 31 teams around the NFL they will tell you the same thing - for some reason this ridiculous topic keeps creeping up on these forums and the only people that care are the cooky fans that don't see the big picture.
Originally posted by scopur49er:

Hell, I'll take 5-10 in the Super Bowl over 5-0. That just means we've been to 10 more Super Bowls which (surprise) is a good thing.

If you ask fans from any of the othe 31 teams around the NFL they will tell you the same thing - for some reason this ridiculous topic keeps creeping up on these forums and the only people that care are the cooky fans that don't see the big picture.

You guys are missing the whole point. It's really not a rediculous topic. It's simply about how we would feel as fans to lose a SuperBowl when we now sit at 5-0. It has nothing to do with our Coach and Players mentality like the above posters stated. If that was the case, I would have been content with Dennis Erickson as coach and Derrick Smith as Middle Linebacker.

That's not the case at all. Alot of people on this board don't remember, or don't have a connection with our Glory Days. If you did, I have a feeling alot more people wouldn't have a problem living in the past, especially when our past was as dominant (arguable the most dominant franchise in that span) as it was.

Ask a die hard 49er fan that has been there from the beggining, and remembers the 81, 84, 88, 89 & 94 seasons, I'm sure most would agree that the 5-0 is important. I'm not saying that the younger Niner generation are any less of a die hard fan, and if I were in your shoes, I would probably see things your way, and want to just get to the big game no matter the outcome.

In no way am I saying I don't think we should try, or we should throw games... I'm just saying this is 1 stat that no other NLF team can claim and it is something to be proud of. Therefore as a fan, I would rather lose the NFC Championship, then make the Super Bowl only to lose it. That's just me as a fans perspective. Not what I want as a goal from ownership, our current coaching staff, or our current players... Hope that clarifies things...

I feel the same way, I believe we're never going to lose a Super Bowl. So if we're going to lose in the Playoffs lets lose in the NFC Title game or before. That being said until we change QB's and have an at least decent QB starting for us we're not going back to the BIG SHOW anytime soon.
Originally posted by scopur49er:

You guys are missing the whole point. It's really not a rediculous topic. It's simply about how we would feel as fans to lose a SuperBowl when we now sit at 5-0. It has nothing to do with our Coach and Players mentality like the above posters stated. If that was the case, I would have been content with Dennis Erickson as coach and Derrick Smith as Middle Linebacker.

That's not the case at all. Alot of people on this board don't remember, or don't have a connection with our Glory Days. If you did, I have a feeling alot more people wouldn't have a problem living in the past, especially when our past was as dominant (arguable the most dominant franchise in that span) as it was.

Ask a die hard 49er fan that has been there from the beggining, and remembers the 81, 84, 88, 89 & 94 seasons, I'm sure most would agree that the 5-0 is important. I'm not saying that the younger Niner generation are any less of a die hard fan, and if I were in your shoes, I would probably see things your way, and want to just get to the big game no matter the outcome.

In no way am I saying I don't think we should try, or we should throw games... I'm just saying this is 1 stat that no other NLF team can claim and it is something to be proud of. Therefore as a fan, I would rather lose the NFC Championship, then make the Super Bowl only to lose it. That's just me as a fans perspective. Not what I want as a goal from ownership, our current coaching staff, or our current players... Hope that clarifies things...

All fans feel horrible when their teams loses the Super Bowl. I would feel horrible. If I knew the Niners were going to lose a Super Bowl I would probably agree with you. But, we are not priviledged with that kind of vision. To win the sixth you have to play the game and risk the loss. Hindsight doesn't do anybody any good in the present and the future. So I will always hope that the Niners make the Super Bowl even in the face of the great disappointment that a loss would bring.

The Niners do have a distinction of being 5-0 in that game. But I think what people really look to is the fact that the Steelers have six. People, on a whole, do not judge organizations by their winning percentage in the Super Bowl. They get judged by how many they win. Is the Ravens 1-0 better than Giants 3-1? I don't think so. Most fans don't really look (other than Niner fans) at the Cowboys being 5-2 and the Niners 5-0. I think most people see that both organizations have five and whoever wins six first will have the upper hand. I think it is the number of titles and not the percentage that really matters. Niners have to play in the Super Bowl, even if they risk the perfect record, for the number that really matters. The percentage is great; the number of titles is what really counts.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for TheyHate2LuvMe.
Originally posted by kingairta:
The 5-0 is a little over rated. 5 championships over how long? I'll take each and every appearance in the big game the team can get. You can only win the game if you get there.

5-0 use to mean something. But now there is a team with 6 wins the 5-0 is just another stat. Nothing special.

That team is 6-1 though... IMO 5-0 > 6-1

i dont think so. because they made the super bowl 7 times vs our 5
Share 49ersWebzone