There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is our Perfect 5-0 Super Bowl record in Jeopardy anytime soon?

Is our Perfect 5-0 Super Bowl record in Jeopardy anytime soon?

This may be a bit pre-mature and I'm not talking about this upcoming season per se, but I'm referring to maybe the next 3-5 seasons...

Reason I ask is this. I think I could speak for alot of us when I say, I'd rather lose the NFC Championship then lose the Superbowl.

That being said, if we do make the playoffs this year... it's a brand new season and anyones game at that point.

There seems to be a large concensus on the board that we will make the playoffs this year. If we do make it past the first round of playoffs and we got to the NFC Championship, I would be pumped but at the same time, I don't know that I would have the same Faith (110% We got this in the bag mentality) that I had with Montana at the helm at all of our other SuperBowls, and Young to a lesser extent.

I would rather lose the NFC Championship all day rather than sully and tarnish our perfect super bowl record. We are the remaining perfect team in terms of Super Bowl wins for any team with more than 2 Appearances I beleive.

Do you think our record is in Jeopardy if we were to make it within the next 3-5 seasons or so?
Originally posted by zozell:
I think I could speak for alot of us when I say, I'd rather lose the NFC Championship then lose the Superbowl.

I'm sorry, I stopped reading your post after this sentence.
I wouldn't worry about that, we have a long ways to go before we get into another superbowl.
no. we wont be seeing a SB for at least another 5 years.
I find that stat to be extremely overrated. I'd take a 6-6 Super Bowl record over a 5-0.

There's not 1 loser every season there's 31 losers, and if you want to be that winner you have to risk losing that game.
Originally posted by redrathman:
I think I could speak for alot of us when I say, I'd rather lose the NFC Championship then lose the Superbowl.

Wanna make a poll about it and really see where the majority stands? lol j/k
Probably not:

We had an elite QB for each of our superbowl appearances. Alex is a long way from that!
Originally posted by redrathman:

Wanna make a poll about it and really see where the majority stands? lol j/k

You should.
What is this obsession with our perfect 5-0 superbowl record? Why would you prefer not to even get to the big game than to risk tarnishing our record? The superbowl wouldn't be any fun to watch if you were 100% sure we would win. There has to be some risk for the victory to be rewarding. I don't think we will, but I will be rooting for our 49ers to go all the way EVERY year... even if I think the opponent we will face in the big game is better.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I find that stat to be extremely overrated. I'd take a 6-6 Super Bowl record over a 5-0.

There's not 1 loser every season there's 31 losers, and if you want to be that winner you have to risk losing that game.

You obviously want the chance to win it all, but as a fan I would be muuuch more disappointed losing the SB and staining our record than I would be if we lost the NFC. I would NEVER choose it, but it would suck less.

The teams SB record is one of the upper echelon records that the team has imo. There are some that just seem to mean more, and to me, thats one of them.
No, I think the 5-0 SB record is safe for a little while.
No because we won't be making the SB in the next 3-5 years.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

You obviously want the chance to win it all, but as a fan I would be muuuch more disappointed losing the SB and staining our record than I would be if we lost the NFC. I would NEVER choose it, but it would suck less.

The teams SB record is one of the upper echelon records that the team has imo. There are some that just seem to mean more, and to me, thats one of them.
Someone see's my point... Right on man!
The 5-0 is a little over rated. 5 championships over how long? I'll take each and every appearance in the big game the team can get. You can only win the game if you get there.

5-0 use to mean something. But now there is a team with 6 wins the 5-0 is just another stat. Nothing special.
[ Edited by kingairta on Jul 13, 2010 at 3:10 PM ]
If we get to the Superbowl in the next five years, then yes, our 5-0 record is in jeopardy. But even if we make it in 25 years, our 5-0 record will still be in jeopardy. There are no "gimmes" in the Super Bowl.