Originally posted by Num1player16:
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
1. Chris Johnson
2. AP
3. Steven Jackson
4. Frank Gore
t-5. Michael Turner
t-5. MJD

Pretty fair except I think gore's better than jackson. jackson's hurt more than gore

Jackson is a BEAST. This ranking is fair.

bs... gore had more yards and more td's with less attempt.... = not fair
Originally posted by Slash49:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
IMO:

All things considered, Gore is better than Jackson and AP.

I can't claim to have watched every St.Louise game, but I do see them at least two times a year when they play the Niners. Never once can I remember walking away from a game thinking how great Jackson is or that I would want him over Gore. In fact, I dont even remember seeing him on many ESPN weekly highlight reels. Gore on the other hand is a human highlight reel. When I think of Gore, I think of back to back 80 yard runs to tie Barry Sanders record. I think of him breaking 3 and 4 man gang tackles. I think of him emerging on the other side of a pile of 300lb lineman against all hope and taking it to the house. It just seems like Gore is always doing something against all odds. Things that make you say," wow how did he do that?"

As far as AP is concerned, let me say this. He is a more dynamic runner than Gore. He has more moves and more speed, but the frequency and timing of his fumbles almost kick him out of the top 5 for me. I'll take a 1500 yard runner over a 1750 yard runner with three time the fumbles any day of the week. Ball security is just as important as yards per carry especially when we are talking about elite back vs. elite back. I also think you have to consider the total meltdown (fumbles) he had vs. the Saints in the playoffs. If I had to choose Gore or AP to play for me in a Superbowl, I would take Gore all day every day. Again, to be clear, the diffrence between elite backs is very small, a large amount of fumbles should completly disqualify you.

Gore does have his own fumbling problem as well, not as much as AP, but also adding that Gore is a MUCHHHHHH better receiver out of the back field, and is a very good pass protector, probably the best out of all the other 5 RB's listed.

That was ALMOST as good a hit as the one that Bam Bam put on that Jets Receiver two years back.

The body does some truly involuntary stuff when the cobwebs fill the bell tower.

~Ceadder
steven jackson is slightly better than gore, they are both great rbs, i think jackson proved last year with his season on such a bad team, only thing he lacked was more tds, and keep mind without jackson pulling out of the pro bowl frank gore doesnt go. franks best year was 4 years ago and that year jackson had 1500 yards and 90 catches for 800 yards. i love gore but jackson is slightly better IMO
[ Edited by crabman82 on Jul 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM ]
Originally posted by fan49:
1. Chris Johnson
2. AP
3. Steven Jackson
4. Frank Gore
t-5. Michael Turner
t-5. MJD

Pretty fair except I think gore's better than jackson. jackson's hurt more than gore

jackson had 300 more rushing yards and 200 more total yards
Originally posted by crabman82:
steven jackson is slightly better than gore, they are both great rbs, i think jackson proved last year with his season on such a bad team, only thing he lacked was more tds, and keep mind without jackson pulling out of the pro bowl frank gore doesnt go. franks best year was 4 years ago and that year jackson had 1500 yards and 90 catches for 800 yards. i love gore but jackson is slightly better IMO

It's not like Gore was running behind the Jets Oline and Scheme.

Consider what Gore had to deal with:

1.One of the worst Oline in the league.

2.Half a season in pure vanilla, "we dont care if ten guys are in the box we are going to run it up the gut" Jimmy Raye/ Coach Sing play calling.

3. Half a season in a none running back friendly, shot gun offense.

4. Injured for 3 games and still had 1100 yards and double digit TDs.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by fan49:
1. Chris Johnson
2. AP
3. Steven Jackson
4. Frank Gore
t-5. Michael Turner
t-5. MJD

jackson had 300 more rushing yards and 200 more total yards

ok i was wrong there but gore did have a half a yard more per attempt, not to mention 6 more tds, about 95 less attempts....
I don't get why Chris "24k Dentures" Johnson is #1. He had one great year. Whoopity whoop. Ricky Martin had one good year too, now where the hell is he?
Originally posted by Dr_Gonzo:
I don't get why Chris "24k Dentures" Johnson is #1. He had one great year. Whoopity whoop. Ricky Martin had one good year too, now where the hell is he?

I agree. A player has one good year and all of a sudden he's the best in the business at his position. I still think Adrian Peterson is the best back in the NFL. Is Chris Johnson good? sure. He's pretty good. But like you said, one good year shouldn't dictate if you're the greatest player alive.

Well at least NFL network thinks we have a top 5 running back and a top 5 tight end. I'm pretty sure Willis will be the top linebacker when they cover LBs. Now we just need a top QB, top LT, top LG, top C, top RG, top RT, top DE, top NT, top OLB, top CB, top SS, top FS, and top K. We already have a top punter in Andy Lee.
Originally posted by bigmike55:

I agree. A player has one good year and all of a sudden he's the best in the business at his position. I still think Adrian Peterson is the best back in the NFL. Is Chris Johnson good? sure. He's pretty good. But like you said, one good year shouldn't dictate if you're the greatest player alive.

Well at least NFL network thinks we have a top 5 running back and a top 5 tight end. I'm pretty sure Willis will be the top linebacker when they cover LBs. Now we just need a top QB, top LT, top LG, top C, top RG, top RT, top DE, top NT, top OLB, top CB, top SS, top FS, and top K. We already have a top punter in Andy Lee.
lol @ a 2k rusher being called "pretty good"
LOL @ people making excuses for Jackson to say he's better than Gore. Have you all forgotten we had the worst offensive line in the entire league last year? Have you all forgotten that we haven't had a good OC since Norv Turner, when Gore had 1,700 yards rushing? Have you all forgotten how predictable our offense has been since then? Have you all forgotten that, up until last season, Gore was the ONLY weapon we had on offense, which caused teams to put up to 9 men in the box to stop him?

Jackson is definitely a beast and a top-5 back, but he's not better than Frank Gore. He's more powerful and therefor is able to run harder, but Gore evades tacklers and shakes them off better than Jackson. I can only recall one jaw-dropping run that Jackson has ever pulled off and I don't even remember who it was against, but it was the one where he pulled off multiple spin moves to evade several tacklers an continue up field.

To whoever brought up the pro bowl.. Who cares? Gore should have been voted in before Jackson anyway. He had way more TDs and almost 100 less carries in a spread offense that catered to Alex Smith's abilities and put Gore on the backburner. Come on.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Yeah he's pretty good. Lets see if he can do it again, and again. Then I'll give it to him. If I were making a team from scratch, Adrian Peterson would be my choice at RB, but then again, that's just my opinion.
Originally posted by RonMexico:

Yeah he's pretty good. Lets see if he can do it again, and again. Then I'll give it to him. If I were making a team from scratch, Adrian Peterson would be my choice at RB, but then again, that's just my opinion.

I'd love to see what Frank Gore could do behind Adrian Peterson's offensive line. Even Chester Taylor looks pretty damn good behind those guys. Gore is better all-around (blocking and receiving included) and I'm positive he would be able to put up similar numbers to AP's behind that line.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by bornaniner:
Originally posted by redrathman:
1. Chris Johnson
2. AP
3. Steven Jackson
4. Frank Gore
t-5. Michael Turner
t-5. MJD

Jackson has missed eight games in six years, averaging 1.3 games missed per year. Gore has missed seven games in five years, averaging 1.4 games missed per year.

HOW DARE YOU IGNORE THE STATISTICS

how much would .4 games be? 24 mins?
jackson would be the best back in the league if he had a line hands down no disrespect to gore but the ranking is fair

No he wouldn't. You can discredit Gore if you want, but there's no way he's better than Chris Johnson or Adrian Peterson. NO WAY.

discredit this!!!!!
gore will outperform jackson by a mile this year.

How many yards are in a mile? And does that include TDs?
[ Edited by YouGotGored on Jul 8, 2010 at 1:09 AM ]
Why is that Chris Johnson only has 1 good year, yet makes number 1 for RBs but Vernon Davis had q better year then all the other TEs but hardly gets any love?