Originally posted by bigmike55:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Kwame Harris?

Kwame Davis, or Anthony Harris, wich sounds better, let the HATING began! LOL

Anybody named Kwame is

wasnt the black dude from captain planet named kwame? he was pretty cool lol

Anthony Davis sounds better.
Davis, Iupati are likely Week 1 starters
The 49ers drafted tackle Anthony Davis and guard Mike Iupati to provide immediate help along the offensive line. But will they be opening-day starters? Judging by recent history, each has better than a two-thirds chance.

In the five years between 2005 and 2009, NFL teams drafted 23 offensive linemen in the first round - 16 tackles, four guards and three centers. Of those 23, 16 were in the starting lineup in Week 1 of their rookie seasons. That's about a 70-percent success rate.

And if either Davis or Iupati fails to start on opening day, it probably won't take him long to crack the lineup. Of those seven rookies who watched from the sidelines in their first NFL game, four made their initial start by Week 6 that season. Only two first-round linemen in the past five years - Chicago tackle Chris Williams and Seattle center Chris Spencer - had to wait until Year 2 for a starting role.

Of the two Niners rookies, Iupati is generally seen as more NFL-ready than Davis, who was a bit inconsistent at Rutgers. Consider, though, that Davis was selected at overall pick No. 11. Seven O-linemen have gone 11 or higher in the past five years, and six were opening day starters (85.7 percent).

Bottom line: The bigger the bonus money, the more pressure there is to start an NFL rookie lineman. Davis and Iupati should command plenty of dollars. Unless one of them has a hard time grasping the 49ers' offense or pro blocking techniques, expect both to start at Seattle on Sept. 12.

Here are the first-round rookie offensive linemen from 2005-09, with overall draft position and year/week of first NFL start:

T Jason Smith, Rams (2) 1/1
T Andre Smith, Bengals (6) 1/14
T Eugene Monroe, Jaguars (8) 1/1
C Alex Mack, Browns (21) 1/1
T Michael Oher, Ravens (23) 1/1

T Jake Long, Dolphins (1) 1/1
T Ryan Clady, Broncos (12) 1/1
T Chris Williams, Bears (14) 2/1
G Branden Albert, Chiefs (15) 1/1
T Gosder Cherilus, Lions (17) 1/3
T Jeff Otah, Panthers (19) 1/1
T Duane Brown, Texans (26) 1/1

T Joe Thomas, Browns (3) 1/1
T Levi Brown, Cardinals (5) 1/1
T Joe Staley, 49ers (28) 1/1
G Ben Grubbs, Ravens (29) 1/5

T D'Brickashaw Ferguson , Jets (4) 1/1
G Davin Joseph, Buccaneers (23) 1/6
C Nick Mangold, Jets (29) 1/1

T Jammal Brown, Saints (13) 1/1
T Alex Barron, Rams (19) 1/4
C Chris Spencer, Seahawks (26) 2/3
G Logan Mankins, Patriots (32) 1/1

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/05/davis-iupati-are-likely-week-1-starters.html
They haven't even played in pads or shells

While he may have struggled a little, the DL people talked to said they can see why the 9ers drafted him

I am a little worried that Davis is wearing #77, given the last to do so.

Everything I have read has been positive in terms of his attitude and his work ethic. They say he made progress.

Can't wait for preseason for a lot of reasons. Of course, Iupati and Davis but also want to see Mays and Bowman light fools up on kick offs and in the base 2nd team defense
Bizzump

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=142716
*cough-cough*

Anthony Davis Named Starter
Gotta see him play but so far sounds good
Seriously dude! The guy is practicing with the first team 9 day into TC! Give the kid at least 1 game let alone a season or two before you start throwing around titles like that! Damn the webzone never ceases to amaze me!
I can't believe someone made a thread on this topic already. We have some bright fans...
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Alex Smith is a bust
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
They haven't even played in pads or shells

While he may have struggled a little, the DL people talked to said they can see why the 9ers drafted him

I am a little worried that Davis is wearing #77, given the last to do so.

Everything I have read has been positive in terms of his attitude and his work ethic. They say he made progress.

Can't wait for preseason for a lot of reasons. Of course, Iupati and Davis but also want to see Mays and Bowman light fools up on kick offs and in the base 2nd team defense

Iupati is wearing 77, Davis is wearing 76
I hope not.. we need 2 solidify the O-line
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49P-Dub52:

lets solidify our qb...
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by 49P-Dub52:

lets solidify our qb...

We get it dude! You don't like Alex Smith!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home