LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 213 users in the forums

Navarro Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
i thought mckillop wasn't being talked about as being a player? admittedly, he's had another year to study under his belt, but i thought people had doubts of him being anything but a back up and special teams player?
bowman should be starting next to willis willis should be moved around in my opinion he's a beast id rush him from the inside outside everywhere you could he could have 10 sacks a year no prob, he had 6 from inside bowman also could move around and has speed and loves to go after the qb im glad we have a new defensive coordinator.
Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by ninertico:
So no one has an opinion on Bowman as an OLB? Didn't he play 4-3 OLB in college? If you read this message board during TC he was the next Pwilly.

If you were able to see some games of his or some clips you could see his skill on the outside especially with his speed. He can go sideline to sideline in a snap, much like Willis. Excellent tackler and did well sifting through the fatties for pressures, containment and disruption.

THIS is why I am so jazzed about Bowman's potential in Fangio's 3-4. Most of what I remember about Bowman's scouting report as a 49er was that he wouldn't be the classic "TED", but rather a second "MIKE", interchangeable. I can really see that with Fangio, he did it with the Saints. Now add another MIKE experienced as both 3-4 (Virginia) and 4-3 (Cincy) who now happens to be our true SAM in the 3-4 in Ahmad Brooks.

Man, just those three could be interchangeable with stunts coming from outside in and vice versa, Swarm galore. Catch e mi drift?

Now add the true missing piece at WILL like a Von Miller and DAMN!!! Bowman would be used primarily inside when the time comes, but he could blitz out and Brooks in while Willis and Miller go into coverage and the safety blitzes the middle.

Yea, that's what I am talkin' bout! Bowman will be another piece to Fangio's system.

PS Watch watch Capers does to the interior of the Pittsburgh OL with Pouncey out. It will be just what I described above, lots of movement and disguise. Stunts and scraping the "A" gap. Raji and friends will allow the LBs to reek havoc. Fun to watch and a glimpse to the mind of Fangio.

This post made my morning. That was a straight victory speech. Where is the tackling dumby or wall I can run through?

He's versatile in that he can play "like" an OLB from the TED position. He can cover well, too. And his run D as an ILB speaks for itself and so does his recent play as an OLB Niner backer. He's just a great football player with instinct and overt passion for the position, like Spikes.

Now add him with let's say...Von Miller (frivolous addition of my mancrush for Mr. Man) and blamo...

Brooks--Bowman--Willis--Miller

Fangio would have four true piece to interchange at will and be able to successfully substitute the DLs to give these kids, oldest Willis, the ability to attack the QB.

I mean, Smith, Franklin/Rook, Ice, RJF, McD, new 3-4 Rook can switch with any piece that Fangio needs. IMO, he also needs his "NT". Add that rook, and we have an incredible surplus of 3-4 DL to allow the LBs to go off especially in the fourth.

Bowman, only magnifies just how insightful Baalke's intuition and vision was correct.

Can he get Miller? Don't know, but Fangio will be using Bowman with whomever Baalke picks as our new WILL, Miller or no.

[ Edited by ninertico on Jan 30, 2011 at 18:14:15 ]
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So no one has an opinion on Bowman as an OLB? Didn't he play 4-3 OLB in college? If you read this message board during TC he was the next Pwilly.

If you were able to see some games of his or some clips you could see his skill on the outside especially with his speed. He can go sideline to sideline in a snap, much like Willis. Excellent tackler and did well sifting through the fatties for pressures, containment and disruption.

THIS is why I am so jazzed about Bowman's potential in Fangio's 3-4. Most of what I remember about Bowman's scouting report as a 49er was that he wouldn't be the classic "TED", but rather a second "MIKE", interchangeable. I can really see that with Fangio, he did it with the Saints. Now add another MIKE experienced as both 3-4 (Virginia) and 4-3 (Cincy) who now happens to be our true SAM in the 3-4 in Ahmad Brooks.

Man, just those three could be interchangeable with stunts coming from outside in and vice versa, Swarm galore. Catch e mi drift?

Now add the true missing piece at WILL like a Von Miller and DAMN!!! Bowman would be used primarily inside when the time comes, but he could blitz out and Brooks in while Willis and Miller go into coverage and the safety blitzes the middle.

Yea, that's what I am talkin' bout! Bowman will be another piece to Fangio's system.

PS Watch watch Capers does to the interior of the Pittsburgh OL with Pouncey out. It will be just what I described above, lots of movement and disguise. Stunts and scraping the "A" gap. Raji and friends will allow the LBs to reek havoc. Fun to watch and a glimpse to the mind of Fangio.

This post made my morning. That was a straight victory speech. Where is the tackling dumby or wall I can run through?

He's versatile in that he can play "like" an OLB from the TED position. He can cover well, too. And his run D as an ILB speaks for itself and so does his recent play as an OLB Niner backer. He's just a great football player with instinct and overt passion for the position, like Spikes.

Now add him with let's say...Von Miller (frivolous addition of my mancrush for Mr. Man) and blamo...

Fangio would have four true piece to interchange at will and be able to successfully substitute the DLs to give these kids, oldest Willis, the ability to attack the QB.

I mean, Smith, Franklin/Rook, Ice, RJF, McD, new 3-4 Rook can switch with any piece that Fangio needs. IMO, he also needs his "NT". Add that rook, and we have an incredible surplus of 3-4 DL to allow the LBs to go off especially in the fourth.

Bowman, only magnifies just how insightful Baalke's intuition and vision was correct.

Can he get Miller? Don't know, but Fangio will be using Bowman with whomever Baalke picks as our new WILL, Miller or no.

Agreed, I am really hoping that we lose Bowman a lot more this year. Also there is a solid NT in every round this year, just interchange Phil Taylor, Drake Nevis, Jerrell Powe, Kenrick Ellis or Sione Fua in that and it's like Even if he doesn't get Miller imagine what adding Quinn, Smith, or Kerrigan(they could all stand up and play OLB also) up front opposite of Justin Smith! There is Sam Acho and Brooks Reed in the later rounds also.

[ Edited by sfout on Jan 30, 2011 at 19:14:03 ]
Originally posted by sfout:

Agreed, I am really hoping that we lose Bowman a lot more this year. Also there is a solid NT in every round this year, just interchange Phil Taylor, Drake Nevis, Jerrell Powe, Kenrick Ellis or Sione Fua in that and it's like Even if he doesn't get Miller imagine what adding Quinn, Smith, or Kerrigan(they could all stand up and play OLB also) up front opposite of Justin Smith! There is Sam Acho and Brooks Reed in the later rounds also.

Agree & great post! I really hope we can draft Von Miller to add w/ Bowman, Willis, Spikes, Brooks & also Thaddeous Gibson that we got from the Steelers. Either way we have an exciting linebacking crew!
The prospects for our LB corps are very good...especially if Baalke adds Miller to the group. Bowman's got a huge upside...and if they don't re-sign Spikes, could take over alongside Willis. I'm with the rest of you...hopefully Haralson's one of the lesser productive guys Harbaugh will cut. Fangio loves a lot of movement...and Bowman, Brooks, Gibson and potentially Miller would give him some real young power to use. I also think new LB Coach Leavitt is an excellent addition...he did very well as head coach at USF and will want to make his mark in the NFL. BTW, McKillop's still on the team...he was put on IR last year, but should be healthy and be a contributor again. He's an excellent ST's player, too.
If spikes isn't re-signed, Bowman will definitely be starting. kind of a no brainer.
Whith bowmans speed and agility why not cut brooks and move him to the ted linebacker spot? What are your Thoughts?
Originally posted by 49erman723:
Whith bowmans speed and agility why not cut brooks and move him to the ted linebacker spot? What are your Thoughts?

He's not that fast. Give him another Yr at MLB he'll fit in good there.
I heard he loses balance to easy and that bad for a LB

Originally posted by 49faithful_sik:
I heard he loses balance to easy and that bad for a LB

Link?
He sure has a lot of parties jumping off out here in DC.

this topic is a bad idea
Why cut anyone? Ahmad Brooks is our most natural pass-rusher at the moment. Besides... linebacker is a spot where we can afford to rotate guys in and out.

We can keep Bowman and Spikes until Spikes decides to retire in a few years.
Brooks doesnt play the "Ted" position, Spikes does.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
what we need to do is have Ahmad Brooks play the full time position that Lawson's been unsuccessfully manning since he was drafted.. Brooks signed a 2 year extension last year so I say we finally line him up at the OLB position to rush the passer.. He could be THAT elephant rusher we been looking for.. I mean, he's showed what a pass rusher he is when given a chance.. so be it, if he's not the athlete Lawson is, but he sure is the best pass rusher we have..

I'd hate to see him be a part time player again, and for us to see him sign a contract with Seattle (seems like they been getting players from us lately) and wreck havoc to the rest of the NFC West.

As for Bowman, he may be an instinctive player due to the fact that he came from the LB University (Penn St), but showed all of last year how raw he reall still is.. I say he tales over Spikes full time after this year...

[ Edited by 9moon on Feb 14, 2011 at 15:59:24 ]
Share 49ersWebzone