There are 144 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Peter King's 2010 NFL power rankings (49ers 19, Seattle 11)!?!?!?

Originally posted by TexasNiner84:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:
He says dont take him seriously, he admits he is horrible at ranking teams. people need to chill.

If he's so horrible at it, why does he still have a job then

Familiarity. Sometimes when you do something so much, people get used to it and stop questioning quality.

See also... Jay Leno, Everybody Loves Raymond, The Simpsons, 24.
He says dont take him seriously, he admits he is horrible at ranking teams. people need to chill.

His job isnt to rank teams, he just writes things that get people fired up and hate on him. how many of us clicked on the link just to see it? meanwhile Si.com sees his page as a popular one.

His job isnt to rank teams, he just writes things that get people fired up and hate on him. how many of us clicked on the link just to see it? meanwhile Si.com sees his page as a popular one.

agreed. If people read it, buy it, or talk about it he is considered successful at his job and will continue to do it year after year.

Originally posted by TheSixthRing:
I'm only going to say this once:

Peter King doesn't believe Jerry Rice is the best Wide Receiver of all-time

Don't read anything he writes, but if you do, take anything he writes with a grain of salt.

Don't read anything he writes, but if you do, take anything he writes with a grain of salt.

Hey! You said it twice!
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

Hey! You said it twice!

Nu-uh, I said once, quoted once.
Did anyone read the entire article by PK? If you did you would see that he came right out and said that he stinks at this sort of thing and that readers were better off not reading his garbage. It was not supposed to be taken seriously zoners, just relax and let the Niners play on the field do the talking. Peace
I cant believe he gets paid to do this

I didn't have much respect for PK before but if he thinks J Rice is not the best WR of all time, he is a bigger idiot than I ever imagined. How can anyone contest that he is not the best? J Rice owns nearly every receiving record worth owning, most of which will likely never be broken.

Peter King
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by baltien:
While Peter King is best ignored, I'm troubled by the fact that he ranks us so low (seemingly) based off the fact that we didn't get McNabb. What is it about this dude that the sports media wont let go of? I have nothing against McNabb (and hey, I'm even a black guy) but facts are facts. Some things you just can't ignore.

HE was easily the reason why the Eagles never won a Super Bowl. Despite having every opportunity, and a stacked roster they never won it all because McNabb simply put can NOT handle that kind of pressure. Yes he can kick ass all day during the regular season (when not injured) but he can't win when it actually counts. It took the Eagles stocking talent out the butt for him to finally get them to the Super Bowl, and when he did guess what happened?

He started dry heaving when it came down to the wire. Totally melted down.

Add that to fact that he:

-Is 33 years old, and clearly on the decline.

-Has been a WCO QB his entire career necessitating he learn an entirely new offense if he signed here. Thus, retarding the development of our young O-line, receivers etc. And all of that assumes he even wanted to come here.

-Is too often injured (has played the entire season only four times over the past ten years).

And I think my point becomes clear. Overall, he's a had a good career. Can't take that away from him. But what has convinced people that him being in San Fran automatically makes us Super Bowl contenders?

The only problem with your post is that nobody thinks McNabb would have made the Niners contenders. The point is, he would have probably led them to being NFC West favorites and a threat to win a playoff game. And while he was doing this the Niners could have drafted another QB and started to develop him just in time for McNabb's retirement and or release.

Hey on the WCO tip, I totally agree with you. I personally did not want McNabb either, but the concept is, without a 2nd tier QB like a McNabb, the Niners are always going to struggle to crack .500

I think the overall sense is this when doing a ranking of the Niners. Without a better QB....one is hard pressed to rank this Niner team any better than 17-25. And the ONLY way to speculate better than that...will require a highly optimistic prediction that Alex Smith's REAL NFL Career begins now

I know we're in agreement, but I'm still not sure if I understand how acquiring McNabb would've made sense on any level. We would've traded for him, then drafted a QB and teach them what exactly? The current (WCO-esque) offense we would've had to put in place for McNabb, or the offense that we plan to use down the line?

People forget that one of our biggest problems in recent memory was complete lack of identity on our offense. Acquiring McNabb would've only added to that.
Quote:
11. Seattle. I don't love the division, so it's logical to give Turnaround Team of the Year to Pete Carroll and the Seahawks. "I know one thing we will do,'' he said to me a month ago. "We will increase competition at every position on the roster.'' Charlie Whitehurst, Leon Washington, LenDale White (laugh if you must, but he'll be a factor because Carroll will know how to press his buttons) and a slew of other role players will see to that. I say Matt Hasselbeck has one more sound year in him, and he'll have weapons enough to edge the 49ers and Cards for the division.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/05/16/ranking/1.html#ixzz0v2gilk00

Yeah Peter, good call on LenDale

From now on, the only name that douchebag can be called is Peter Queen.
Guess so.
Well, at halftime of the fist game, King looks correct about which team should be ranked higher.

Same old Niners............