LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 148 users in the forums

Peter King's 2010 NFL power rankings (49ers 19, Seattle 11)!?!?!?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sounds like the ole' silver-streaked fox has finally lost it.
While Peter King is best ignored, I'm troubled by the fact that he ranks us so low (seemingly) based off the fact that we didn't get McNabb. What is it about this dude that the sports media wont let go of? I have nothing against McNabb (and hey, I'm even a black guy) but facts are facts. Some things you just can't ignore.

HE was easily the reason why the Eagles never won a Super Bowl. Despite having every opportunity, and a stacked roster they never won it all because McNabb simply put can NOT handle that kind of pressure. Yes he can kick ass all day during the regular season (when not injured) but he can't win when it actually counts. It took the Eagles stocking talent out the butt for him to finally get them to the Super Bowl, and when he did guess what happened?

He started dry heaving when it came down to the wire. Totally melted down.

Add that to fact that he:

-Is 33 years old, and clearly on the decline.

-Has been a WCO QB his entire career necessitating he learn an entirely new offense if he signed here. Thus, retarding the development of our young O-line, receivers etc. And all of that assumes he even wanted to come here.

-Is too often injured (has played the entire season only four times over the past ten years).

And I think my point becomes clear. Overall, he's a had a good career. Can't take that away from him. But what has convinced people that him being in San Fran automatically makes us Super Bowl contenders?
Originally posted by baltien:
While Peter King is best ignored, I'm troubled by the fact that he ranks us so low (seemingly) based off the fact that we didn't get McNabb. What is it about this dude that the sports media wont let go of? I have nothing against McNabb (and hey, I'm even a black guy) but facts are facts. Some things you just can't ignore.

HE was easily the reason why the Eagles never won a Super Bowl. Despite having every opportunity, and a stacked roster they never won it all because McNabb simply put can NOT handle that kind of pressure. Yes he can kick ass all day during the regular season (when not injured) but he can't win when it actually counts. It took the Eagles stocking talent out the butt for him to finally get them to the Super Bowl, and when he did guess what happened?

-Has been a WCO QB his entire career necessitating he learn an entirely new offense if he signed here. Thus, retarding the development of our young O-line, receivers etc. And all of that assumes he even wanted to come here.

-Is too often injured (has played the entire season only four times over the past ten years).

And I think my point becomes clear. Overall, he's a had a good career. Can't take that away from him. But what has convinced people that him being in San Fran automatically makes us Super Bowl contenders?

The only problem with your post is that nobody thinks McNabb would have made the Niners contenders. The point is, he would have probably led them to being NFC West favorites and a threat to win a playoff game. And while he was doing this the Niners could have drafted another QB and started to develop him just in time for McNabb's retirement and or release.

Hey on the WCO tip, I totally agree with you. I personally did not want McNabb either, but the concept is, without a 2nd tier QB like a McNabb, the Niners are always going to struggle to crack .500

I think the overall sense is this when doing a ranking of the Niners. Without a better QB....one is hard pressed to rank this Niner team any better than 17-25. And the ONLY way to speculate better than that...will require a highly optimistic prediction that Alex Smith's REAL NFL Career begins now
Peter King is an idiot. Look where he has all the other teams. Green Bay number 1? Give me a break. How can anyone even care what this guy says?
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
Peter King is an idiot. Look where he has all the other teams. Green Bay number 1? Give me a break. How can anyone even care what this guy says?

lol, they only gave up 51 in a playoff game
We'll see where they have us ranked after we smash on the seahawks in week 1 and then beat the saints on MNF in week 2.
This guy continually gets us zoners riled up. He's really not worth the bother. I'm amazed he gets his stuff printed. Probably has something on his boss.
Peter King picked the Bears to go to the Superbowl last year and had the Saints rated 24th going into last year. He isn't a football god though the way he talks and writes, he would want you to think he is.
He says dont take him seriously, he admits he is horrible at ranking teams. people need to chill.
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Spoonerism:

lol, they only gave up 51 in a playoff game

well the 2009 Champs were not even in the 2008 playoffs, so it doesn't seem smart to exclude a team from a #1 ranking based on the fact they were in the playoffs the year before, competed well in an absolute slugfest, but just happened to give up 51

Originally posted by NinerFan408:
He says dont take him seriously, he admits he is horrible at ranking teams. people need to chill.

It is fun to rip on Peter King and obviously he doesen't (and never has) though highly of the 49ers so it's a hate-hate type of relationship. It's May, what else are we going to b***h about on the zone?
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

If he's so horrible at it, why does he still have a job then
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by baltien:

The only problem with your post is that nobody thinks McNabb would have made the Niners contenders. The point is, he would have probably led them to being NFC West favorites and a threat to win a playoff game. And while he was doing this the Niners could have drafted another QB and started to develop him just in time for McNabb's retirement and or release.

Hey on the WCO tip, I totally agree with you. I personally did not want McNabb either, but the concept is, without a 2nd tier QB like a McNabb, the Niners are always going to struggle to crack .500

I think the overall sense is this when doing a ranking of the Niners. Without a better QB....one is hard pressed to rank this Niner team any better than 17-25. And the ONLY way to speculate better than that...will require a highly optimistic prediction that Alex Smith's REAL NFL Career begins now

It's not so much the McNabb philosphy that I disagree with King it's the Hasselbeck statement he makes. He said the Matt has enough weapons left to edge us for the division title. While that could be possible. our defense will be in his way for sure.

I agree that Alex is still a ? but I wouldn't say that about our defense. Let the O-line gel and Gore could have a 1500 yd season on top it.
BS
Who cares what Peter King thinks in MAY. I say the niners win the division and i am way cooler than Peter King.
Share 49ersWebzone