LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 407 users in the forums

Three names stand between 5 and possibly 7 Lombardi Trophies

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by kelpie70:
Do you know the three names? Repeat them after me Haley, Saunders and Watters. If somehow the NINERS were able to retain all three services, there would have been no stopping the greatest football dynasty EVER period! What are your thoughts guys?

Saunders.....losing that dude alone cost us money?...and that other guy DEion...whatever his namme was
Originally posted by 49ersswagger:
walsh retirement is reason #1 we didn't win more superbowls george siefert was a good coach not great won championship on walsh talent #2 reason why not resign deion sanders he was key to winning superbowl in 94 true shut down corner he locked up alvin harper who killed eric davis every time we played cowboys #3 packers and brett farve dominated 49ers every game we played until catch 2 by t.o and hearst hurt against dirty birds cut short dat possible championship season

I hear you but I think having Deion Sanders, Charles Haley and Ricky Watters would have allowed us to overcome the COWPOKES and the PACKERS IMO because Steve Young was a very solid QB. Oh well, maybe I ought to add in JohnTaylor as a fourth name huh. We had no one at WO other than Rice.

• GORO
  • Veteran
Roger Craig fumble cost us one.

Steve Young costly interceptions in the playoffs may have cost us 1 or 2

Jerry Rice dropping that pass on the first play of a play off game against the Giants, may have swung momentum if he made that catch and scored. Who knows what happens if we won that game.

The Vikings. I remember being the top sead and the Vikes come into Candlestick and knock us out.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Losing Haley alone was the biggest blow to our 3-4 defensive system/knocking Dallas out of the NFC Championship, cause (aside from Bruce Smith) a multi-dimensional pass-rusher that could wreak consistent havoc out of both the OLB and DE spot (within a 3-4) was just unheard of back then.

-So finding an adequate replacement/pass-rusher was just impossible until Ken Norton Jr. fell into our hands in 1994.

And I wouldn't totally say losing Watters/Sanders after 1994 killed us more than the repetitive personnel injuries that seemed to consistently plague the team from 1995-1997 when it came to winning some of the more important regular-season/playoff games.

I would say losing Haley was a huge blow but I don't think you can downplay the loss of Ricky Watters. Watters was a multi-dimensional black that we could use as a WR and RB. He had a pretty good game in Superbowl 29. When he left we were forced into running back by committee and none of the RB we had supplied the threat that he provided when he was on the field. It wasn't until we got Hearst, that we has something comparable to Ricky.

Deion going to the Cowboys hurt because he allowed our defense to roll coverage to the other side of the field while locking up his receiver. When he left to go to the Cowboys they could do the same thing. He also brought a swagger to the 49 defense that they did not have before. That was kind of loss when he left.
Originally posted by KowboyKiller:
Originally posted by lamontb:
How bout Lawerence Taylor and the Giants defense that hit Montana into the dirt

Hit him like a 16 year old girl!

Too soon??

Just read that sh!t this morning!

Whut up Lawrence!?!
How about Mike Holmgren, Andy Reid, Jon Gruden, etc etc etc...

Aside from losing great players, our coaches were poached CONSTANTLY.

Still makes me mad
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Anyone who has been a 9er fan since the championship run began can name probably about 5 seasona in which the 49ers should/could have won the SB (to me losing to Minn in the 87 division round playoff hurts the most well maybe not as much as Craig fumbling but close). Looking forward as opposed to backwards, my answer is Alex Smith, Anthony Davis and Mike Lupati. If those 3 play to their potential, I like the 49ers chances.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by 49ersMan420:
How about that son of a b*tch Favre

If we wouldve kept Sanders, there's no doubt we wouldve beaten the Packers in 95, and given up some sort of competition in 96. What a lot of us forget is that Sanders in his prime (92-96) would shut down half the field just by being in the vicinity. Not only would QBs defer on the receivers he covered, but they would practically ignore the side of the field he was lined up on.

BAD move by Ninerbrass to let him go after only 1 year.......definitely cost us a ring in 1995, and possibly in 96.

I never understood why it was a 1 year deal for a CB in his prime.

Salary cap
Should never have let Ronnie Lott go. that was an insult to a man who gave up his body (and body parts) for the team for 10 seasons. His leadership was sorely needed on those Niner defenses from '91-'93. Plus he was the only one who could control Haley's antics/tantrums, so Haley probably would've stayed if Lott was still a Niner. Those two alone still being in the red and gold would have won the '92 NFC championship against the cowgirls (putting in Montana in the 2nd half might have helped also).

On a side note, I always wanted to see Montana b***hslap Aikman in shootout between the two in their primes. I think the only time they actually played against each other was in Aikman's first 2 seasons (1989 and 1990) but the Niners were still way too good for the cowgirls, so it was no contest. The NFC championship in 1992 was the best time to have seen a clash of these two in their primes, but a finally healthy Montana was left on the bench as Steve Young struggled in the 2nd half. Montana was traded to the Chiefs the very next season.

By the time the cowgirls were scheduled to again play the chiefs in 1995, Montana had retired (the chiefs and cowboys also played in 1992, but Montana was still a Niner)
Losing Sanders to the Cowboys did hurt the most! he was hands down the best shutdown cb and to go to the cowboys were he made an instant impact...fock

Deion cant count. Everyone knew that this was a 1 yr deal. We outbid the cowboys to get deion. He had no wish to stay in SF. Co'mon now didnt he get a mil just cuz we went to the SB?
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:
Should never have let Ronnie Lott go. that was an insult to a man who gave up his body (and body parts) for the team for 10 seasons. His leadership was sorely needed on those Niner defenses from '91-'93. Plus he was the only one who could control Haley's antics/tantrums, so Haley probably would've stayed if Lott was still a Niner. Those two alone still being in the red and gold would have won the '92 NFC championship against the cowgirls (putting in Montana in the 2nd half might have helped also).

On a side note, I always wanted to see Montana b***hslap Aikman in shootout between the two in their primes. I think the only time they actually played against each other was in Aikman's first 2 seasons (1989 and 1990) but the Niners were still way too good for the cowgirls, so it was no contest. The NFC championship in 1992 was the best time to have seen a clash of these two in their primes, but a finally healthy Montana was left on the bench as Steve Young struggled in the 2nd half. Montana was traded to the Chiefs the very next season.

By the time the cowgirls were scheduled to again play the chiefs in 1995, Montana had retired (the chiefs and cowboys also played in 1992, but Montana was still a Niner)

i watched a clip on you tube about charles haley and how he was pissed when ronnie lott was let go and he began to hate wearing the 49er uniform because of it
Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by Buonaparte69:

i watched a clip on you tube about charles haley and how he was pissed when ronnie lott was let go and he began to hate wearing the 49er uniform because of it

yup. plus i think there was a game in the '91 season where the Niners lost to the Raiders (in LA) where Haley was so pissed and going nuts after the game, they had to call Lott from the opposite locker room to calm him down!
Originally posted by ptw1:
Anyone who has been a 9er fan since the championship run began can name probably about 5 seasona in which the 49ers should/could have won the SB (to me losing to Minn in the 87 division round playoff hurts the most well maybe not as much as Craig fumbling but close). Looking forward as opposed to backwards, my answer is Alex Smith, Anthony Davis and Mike Lupati. If those 3 play to their potential, I like the 49ers chances.

That damn Anthony Carter
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Originally posted by ptw1:

That damn Anthony Carter

they got him back (and the rest of the vikes) the next year in the '88 playoffs.

To me, the worst playoff losses (and missed SB opprtunities) are the ones that were never avenged or glossed over by a Super Bowl win (preferably the very next year) :

1983 : controversial loss to Redskins in NFC championship (avenged following year)
1984 : WON SUPER BOWL
1985 : lost to Giants in wildcard
1986 : crushed by Giants in divisional round

1987 : upset by Vikings in divisional round (avenged following year)
1988 : WON SUPER BOWL
1989 : WON SUPER BOWL
1990 : lost to Giants in NFC championship/ended 3-peat attempt
1991 : did not qualify for playoffs
1992 : lost to Cowboys in NFC championship
1993 : again lost to Cowboys in NFC championship (revenge was accomplished in 1994)
1994 : WON SUPER BOWL
1995 : lost to Packers in divisional round
1996 : again lost to Packers in divisional round
1997 : again lost to Packers in NFC championship
1998 : finally beat Packers in wildcard game, but lose narrowly to Atlanta in divisional playoff, last Steve Young-led playoff team

1999 : did not qualify for playoffs
2000 : did not qualify for playoffs
2001 : another loss to Green Bay, wild card round
2002 : anticlimactic loss to Buccaneers in divisional round (after great comeback against Giants in wildcard), no playoff runs since...

[ Edited by Buonaparte69 on May 8, 2010 at 06:57:24 ]
Share 49ersWebzone