LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

Ted Ginn a niner (5th round pick)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by ElDannMann:
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by Eskendale:
I love how all of Ted Ginn's best catches are caught out of bounds (see Troy Smith last year) or are called back because of a penalty (the Ravens' game).

On a more serious note, both he and Vernon Davis have gone to the school of "Incredible potential gone to waste." For all their athletic talents, they can't do what they're paid to do, CATCH THE BALL!

By us, he is paid to RETURN THE BALL. Which he does incredibly well. Unlike some of his predecessors. If you remember?

I've finally gotten rid of that irrational fear that I had for years every time a team punted to us. I would feel my heart in my throat seeing the ball come down into Arnaz Battle's "hands" (and whoever else).

Hell, now-a-days once I defense gets someone stopped on 3rd down, I feel good. Before, our 3rd down defense was whether or not the punter could simply catch the punt... ugggh

Just to really rub it in, remember Dexter Carter?

Ted Ginn is just fine in my book.
OP go away. Punt returners aren't soft. His hands are just inconsitent.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Ginn whiff on blocks. His blocking is as inconsistent as his hands. Maybe even worse. It might be just me seeing his bad ones but missed his good.

Or maybe it's me doing the opposite lol maybe it's technique as it's probably relatively new to him. But i remember seeing him cut a guy and rewinding it to show my friend how the niners receivers block. Of course with him being a steelers fan he basically said "Ward" and that was pretty much it.
He isn't soft per se but he doesn't like contact. You can't find any return where he actually breaks a tackle. They all come when the blocking is perfect. but this isn't anything new. It's what he is as a ball player. Great return man, below average wr. Let's keep him for returns and get a real WR on the field. If Morgan and Edwards weren't hurt the guy wouldn't even be on the field. He's a back up for a reason.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Wasnt Ted Ginn a DB in college?

was recruited from HS to be a DB, but immediately became a WR. So no.
Take away that useless Gore penalty and Ginn has an 80 yard bomb T.D. reception.
I think they should use less of Ginn and more of Kyle Willams. Williams is a good receiver and if they give him a chance I feel he could really help this team.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Maybe your just not his type.
Ginn has taken some really big hits on ST this year, and he always pops right back up.

He may not be the best WR, but its hard to believe anyone would question his toughness or his heart.
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Dec 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM ]
He did burn Revis.....

Best punt returner we've had in avery long time. Hi is NOT soft. His mistakes are in basic fundamentals - looking the ball all the way into your hands is one of them he sometimes fails. Overall, he has been an asset to our team and i hope we resign him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
I like Ginn and hope we re-sign him. He's good on returns, never fumbles or muffs a punt. Gives something as a WR, just a good overall team player.
Originally posted by susweel:
I like Ginn and hope we re-sign him. He's good on returns, never fumbles or muffs a punt. Gives something as a WR, just a good overall team player.

This
I agree he is a terrific "piece of the puzzle" to have. love him in the return game and can give you a big play once and a while on O. His problem is he was picked 9th overall so expectation were too high.
Originally posted by English:
By us, he is paid to RETURN THE BALL. Which he does incredibly well. Unlike some of his predecessors. If you remember?

Then why is he on the field as a WR? That's like saying that because Frank Gore is paid to RUN the ball, he should never be expected to catch passes.

Hey...maybe THAT is why we don't run screens???
Share 49ersWebzone