LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 288 users in the forums

My Prediction for the 49ers' Offense in 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • BobS
  • Veteran
They went 23-25 in that stretch, so you basically compared one mediocre team to another. Are we supposed to get excited about that? I don't understand the point.
Originally posted by BobS:
They went 23-25 in that stretch, so you basically compared one mediocre team to another. Are we supposed to get excited about that? I don't understand the point.

True, but our defense is better.
  • LA_NINERS
  • Info N/A
I can't wait to see CJ Spiller / Jordan Shipley added to this offense.
Originally posted by LA_NINERS:
I can't wait to see CJ Spiller / Jordan Shipley added to this offense.

Originally posted by Ninefan56:

Since this is the first year of continuity for the offense in 5+ years we will see significant progress in our play making ability.

I'm kind of hesitant about this. We'll be operating in the same system, but we won't be running the same offense. This isn't the first time we've run in the same system two years in a row. We spent half the year essentially as a power running team and half the year in the spread. I don't think we'll be doing either of those things this year. Same system, some of the plays will stay the same, but not really the same offense (or a year already "in" an offense already accrued), imo.
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by BobS:

True, but our defense is better.

yep, and with our defense forcing 3 and outs we will have the ball alot more on offense. I dont see any reason why we cant be a top 10 offense this year or close to it.

Good post!
Originally posted by PopeyeJonesing:

Since this is the first year of continuity for the offense in 5+ years we will see significant progress in our play making ability.

I'm kind of hesitant about this. We'll be operating in the same system, but we won't be running the same offense. This isn't the first time we've run in the same system two years in a row. We spent half the year essentially as a power running team and half the year in the spread. I don't think we'll be doing either of those things this year. Same system, some of the plays will stay the same, but not really the same offense (or a year already "in" an offense already accrued), imo.

But it is the same offense. Jimmy Raye didnt just trade in his playbook for another one. The terminology and playbook are the same. Hill was just limited in what he could execute.

[ Edited by Dominate on Apr 3, 2010 at 23:43:46 ]
Originally posted by Dominate:

But it is the same offense. Jimmy Raye didnt just trade in his playbook for another one. The terminology and playbook are the same. Hill was just limited in what he could execute.

yeah, we've had the same terminology for two years in a row before. As far as the playbook being the same, the argument is that we've had a full year of running these plays already. That's not true.

Terminology is the biggie. NFL offenses are extremely complex, have a lot of variances, and added all up, are hundreds of pages thick. Scheme always evolves throughout the season. If it didn't, every team would end up like the lions
Originally posted by KknighthawkK_9er:

Terminology is the biggie. NFL offenses are extremely complex, have a lot of variances, and added all up, are hundreds of pages thick. Scheme always evolves throughout the season. If it didn't, every team would end up like the lions

Its just a matter of exchanging certain plays out for others. They playbook basically remains the same, just play selection should change.

Originally posted by Antix:
Originally posted by susweel:
Not much to really compare, those teams have completely different types of players. I think comparing them is useless.

He's just just talking offense.

They had arguably the best TE in the game, We have arguably the best TE in the league
They had a stud at RB, We have a stud at RB
The had a good numher one receiver, we have (at very least) a good number one receiver.

We still need the QB and line play.

The comparison is valid.

They also had one of the best OL's in the league, we....not so much.
We need more seam routes.
key....it's going to come down to getting better along the offensive line
this is just a guess obviously, but im thinkingin we're gonna be ranked around 15th in total offense
Originally posted by WestCoast:
this is just a guess obviously, but im thinkingin we're gonna be ranked around 15th in total offense

That's still an improvement.
Share 49ersWebzone