LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 265 users in the forums

Official "Tell Baalke to take a walk" thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by PatrickJira411:
If the Niners come away with C.J Spiller after the draft, make him our official GM

yeah lets use our 13th overall pick on a Kick Returner whos normal position is where we already have a pro bowler at.

SMART.

until we have a line, were going to be around .500 every year.

yeah because our pro bowl running back with two reconstructed knees is gonna be around forever
Originally posted by silkyjohnson:
If the Niners come away with C.J Spiller after the draft, make him our official GM

yeah lets use our 13th overall pick on a Kick Returner whos normal position is where we already have a pro bowler at.

SMART.

yeah because our pro bowl running back with two reconstructed knees is gonna be around forever

SMART.

he had those knee surgeries in college like 7 years ago, and has had no recurring problems with them at all. let the whole "knee concerns!" thing go.

and hes not yet 27 years old with 3 more prime years left, and low tread on his tires for his experience. he could last past 30.

using a 13th overall pick on a RB that we wont need for at least 3 more years is retarded. we clearly need OL. we clearly need DB help. you can find speed and return skills on the f/a wire.

there was a burner with return skills AND skills at a position we needed available in 2008, and we chose Kentwan Balmer instead. this time around there isnt that guy worth it for our need.

SMART.

he had those knee surgeries in college like 7 years ago, and has had no recurring problems with them at all. let the whole "knee concerns!" thing go.

and hes not yet 27 years old with 3 more prime years left, and low tread on his tires for his experience. he could last past 30.

using a 13th overall pick on a RB that we wont need for at least 3 more years is retarded. we clearly need OL. we clearly need DB help. you can find speed and return skills on the f/a wire.

there was a burner with return skills AND skills at a position we needed available in 2008, and we chose Kentwan Balmer instead. this time around there isnt that guy worth it for our need.

Frank Gore could get hurt at any moment. And he could decline at any moment. He's taken quite a pounding through the years.
  • Tombo
  • Veteran
You mean there's a thread that hasn't turned to Alex Smith yet?

[b]Alex Smith should be our next general manager!

[ Edited by Tombo on Mar 24, 2010 at 01:32:58 ]

SMART.

even if he won't be the feature back for another 3 years, he's a playmaker, he'll find ways to get on the field and pose a threat. i'm sorry but you can't find CJ Spillers on the f/a wire.

It's not like I'm saying take him with the 2nd pick of the draft like the Saints did with Reggie. But a guy that can open up the offense by the mere fact that he's on the field and defenses have to be wary of his homerun ability is totally justifiable in the middle of the 1st round.

SMART.

even if he won't be the feature back for another 3 years, he's a playmaker, he'll find ways to get on the field and pose a threat. i'm sorry but you can't find CJ Spillers on the f/a wire.

It's not like I'm saying take him with the 2nd pick of the draft like the Saints did with Reggie. But a guy that can open up the offense by the mere fact that he's on the field and defenses have to be wary of his homerun ability is totally justifiable in the middle of the 1st round.

This.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

SMART.

This.

he wont be there at 17. he might not even be there at 13, so it could be a moot point. but, if he IS there at 13, we have greater needs than a backup RB who can return kicks and punts, who MIGHT be able to take over full time 3 or 4 years down the road.

without a solid OL, this team is going NOWHERE. period. i dont care if we have 5 CJ Spillers. no line, no playoffs. its that simple.

Spiller is a luxury we cant afford right now. if we had a OL that we were confident in, itd be a different story, but our OL was literally in dead last in 2009 when it came to overall performance. if we dont infuse some top tier talent soon, were wasting the prime years of Frank Gore and Vernon Davis.

notice a trend? every year its "oh we need a QB! Alex Smith. oh we need a stud RB! take Frank Gore. oh we need a playmaking TE! take Vernon Davis. oh we need a star WR! take Michael Crabtree." and where has that gotten us? 8-8. it all starts with the line. if the lines broke, the entire offense is broke.

look at what JAX did last year. they needed OL help, and were serious about it. so they took Monroe at 8, and Britton at 39. thats what we need to do. its not fun or attractive to take Tackles early, but while it was fun to draft VD and Crabtree early, its gotten us no results yet for a reason.

i would KILL for a guy like Joe Thomas on this team. we havent had a quality line in YEARS, and our record since 2002 is proof.

SMART.

This.

he wont be there at 17. he might not even be there at 13, so it could be a moot point. but, if he IS there at 13, we have greater needs than a backup RB who can return kicks and punts, who MIGHT be able to take over full time 3 or 4 years down the road.

without a solid OL, this team is going NOWHERE. period. i dont care if we have 5 CJ Spillers. no line, no playoffs. its that simple.

Spiller is a luxury we cant afford right now. if we had a OL that we were confident in, itd be a different story, but our OL was literally in dead last in 2009 when it came to overall performance. if we dont infuse some top tier talent soon, were wasting the prime years of Frank Gore and Vernon Davis.

notice a trend? every year its "oh we need a QB! Alex Smith. oh we need a stud RB! take Frank Gore. oh we need a playmaking TE! take Vernon Davis. oh we need a star WR! take Michael Crabtree." and where has that gotten us? 8-8. it all starts with the line. if the lines broke, the entire offense is broke.

look at what JAX did last year. they needed OL help, and were serious about it. so they took Monroe at 8, and Britton at 39. thats what we need to do. its not fun or attractive to take Tackles early, but while it was fun to draft VD and Crabtree early, its gotten us no results yet for a reason.

i would KILL for a guy like Joe Thomas on this team. we havent had a quality line in YEARS, and our record since 2002 is proof.

We have 2 first round picks. If we get Spiller at 13 and an OT at 17, I'm fine with it. But I don't want to get the 5th best OT either...lots of good lineman have come out in the 2nd round lately.

Either way, it's gonna be an interesting draft. We NEED another playmaker on offense. That much should be clear. It's also "retarded" to think that good return men are found on the waiver wire. Have you noticed that the best return men in the NFL also play integral parts on their teams offenses? Desean Jackson, Percy Harvin, Devin Hester, Josh Cribbs, Leon Washington, Sproles...just to name a few.

If you're a good return man, chances are, you're a good football player. These guys find a way to get on the field and that's why you can no longer expect these guys to fall in the draft.

That being said, I don't mind an OT at 13 if one of the "better" ones are available.
  • PS14
  • Veteran
Any way we can change the thread title "tell baalke to take a waalke"
Hopefully he does all right and doesn't get randomly set on fire

SMART.

This.

The thing is I don't think we're that far away from the playoffs. We lost most of our games, and to some very good competition, by 7 points or less... Spiller is the type of player that can come in and make up that difference. The guy is a threat from anywhere on the field on any given play. And plus with him in there, that's a guy defenses have to put extra attention on, whether the play is designed for him, or he's used as a decoy.

I just don't see a lineman coming in and putting us over the hump right away. Even the best linemen out of college take some time to settle in and make a big impact. I'm not saying we shouldn't draft a lineman, I'm all for it, but I would rather make sure we get Spiller first.

The guy seems to be bound to be either the next Reggie Bush or the next Chris Johnson... and frankly I'd be willing to take a chance and find out first hand what he ends up being. Whichever way his career takes him, he'll at least take care of our special teams problems. Even as lackluster as Reggie has been, he's still putting up 50 receptions and 8 TDs a season.

I still think Spiller will be better than Reggie though, he seems like a tougher runner from what I've seen of him and what I saw of Reggie at USC.

Alex Smith also needs all the help he can get, I'm sure he wouldn't mind tossing a couple of screen or dump passes CJ's way.
Baalke is well respected among NFL circles.

He's got a lot of experience under his belt and is the main contact for free agents when they first meet up with the team. Don't quote me, but I think he's been in the NFL for about 20 or so years already. The guy knows what he's doing.
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

He's got a lot of experience under his belt and is the main contact for free agents when they first meet up with the team. Don't quote me, but I think he's been in the NFL for about 20 or so years already. The guy knows what he's doing.

That's Gamble.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Originally posted by DarthNiner:

That's Gamble.

I stand corrected.

Here's Trent Baalke's bio:

Trent Baalke enters his sixth season with the 49ers and his third as the team’s director of player personnel after being appointed to the position in February of 2008. In his 13th NFL season, Baalke oversees both the college and pro personnel departments.

Prior to being named director of player personnel, Baalke served as the Western region scout for the 49ers for three years. He joined San Francisco after spending four years on the Washington Redskins scouting staff, his last (2004) as the club’s college scouting coordinator. From 2001 to 2003, Baalke served as Washington’s national scout, traveling throughout the country in search of rising talent.
Originally posted by boast:

Cool!

Rather have Gamble bc of his track record. I mean eagles and colts have had some good teams...I think!!!?
Share 49ersWebzone