There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

We have the better backup QB in the NFC West

There's not much to say especially when a lot of NFC West teams are scrambling around to sign backup QB's, but IMO, I think the Niners did sign on of the better backup QB's available. I know for sure we didnt over pay like the Cardinals and Seahawks did. Niners, Cardinals, and Seahawks each signed their backup QB's to a 2 year deal, but I think the Niners came out on top with a better contract then the rest.

David Carr- 2 yrs 6.75 mil

Derek Anderson- 2 yrs 7.25mil

Charlie Whitehurst- 2 yrs 10mil
  • Antix
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 4,232
Possibly because we have three of them?

(Not an Alex hater..just thought it'd be fun to say)
Yeah, a lot of people are still under the impression that taking Carr was a stupid move, but most of the NFL was swooned by Carr's newly harnessed maturity/development whilst sitting behind Eli/learning for 2 years under QB Coach Chris Palmer (who had sharpened Tony Romo, and improved Eli Manning's fundamentals during the 2007 Superbowl campaign).

New York let Carr loose to test the market (the Giants did not want to get rid of Carr, but they also didn't want to pay an extension), so San Fran, Zona, Seattle, and Cleveland showed a very strong interest in signing/visiting Carr for the purpose of competing for a starting job (or to push a co-existent starter).

After Carr signed with the 49ers (based on Sing's promise/home-love for Cali), Seattle and Zona went back to plan B in bidding for the 'Whitehurst' gamble with SD. -The buy-in became too rich for Zona's blood so they had backed out, and went with Derek Anderson (after a week of his initial release), while Cleveland traded away Quin, and signed Jake Delhomme (who had been vacant since the start of free-agency).

Who knows (exactly) where this will go, but I think we got an incredible deal/replacement for Shaun Hill.
We also have the best starting QB in the west. But the worst OLine will make sure the backup will take many snaps.
Originally posted by wolfpack52:
We also have the best starting QB in the west. But the worst OLine will make sure the backup will take many snaps.

WE don't have the worst in the west.

worst...

Sea
STL
US
ARI

To best.
who cares? who dont win games from the bench. all that matters is whos on the field.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah, a lot of people are still under the impression that taking Carr was a stupid move, but most of the NFL was swooned by Carr's newly harnessed maturity/development whilst sitting behind Eli/learning for 2 years under QB Coach Chris Palmer (who had sharpened Tony Romo, and improved Eli Manning's fundamentals during the 2007 Superbowl campaign).

New York let Carr loose to test the market (the Giants did not want to get rid of Carr, but they also didn't want to pay an extension), so San Fran, Zona, Seattle, and Cleveland showed a very strong interest in signing/visiting Carr for the purpose of competing for a starting job (or to push a co-existent starter).

After Carr signed with the 49ers (based on Sing's promise/home-love for Cali), Seattle and Zona went back to plan B in bidding for the 'Whitehurst' gamble with SD. -The buy-in became too rich for Zona's blood so they had backed out, and went with Derek Anderson (after a week of his initial release), while Cleveland traded away Quin, and signed Jake Delhomme (who had been vacant since the start of free-agency).

Who knows (exactly) where this will go, but I think we got an incredible deal/replacement for Shaun Hill.



outstanding recap of where we are today.
Originally posted by BurritoSmuggler:
who cares? who dont win games from the bench. all that matters is whos on the field.

very true. only things that have to do with a back up QB are injury or the starting QB sucks ass. Both of which I don't hope for
anderson and carr are equal
wtf was seattle thinking
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
  • Posts: 31,134
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
anderson and carr are equal
wtf was seattle thinking

How do you know what they have in Whitehurst, nobody hasn't even seen him play besides college.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
anderson and carr are equal
wtf was seattle thinking

How do you know what they have in Whitehurst, nobody hasn't even seen him play besides college.

Per Adam Shefter's twitter: Seahawks gave QB Charlie Whitehurst a two-year, $10 million contract -- unprecedented for a veteran who never has started an NFL game.
I can't believe that the 49er fans are actually happy with the acquisition of David Carr??? Nate Davis is probably the best Option, but lets keep riding the dusty trail with Alex "I am not better than Shaun Hill!" Smith.

Derek Anderson will take the reigns from Matt Lienart in Arizona, and they will again be the better team for it. Not sure why the 49ers managerial staff is so excited with David Carr? Damon Huard was better then him. Just one mans' opinion.


Return to Champions!!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Yeah, a lot of people are still under the impression that taking Carr was a stupid move, but most of the NFL was swooned by Carr's newly harnessed maturity/development whilst sitting behind Eli/learning for 2 years under QB Coach Chris Palmer (who had sharpened Tony Romo, and improved Eli Manning's fundamentals during the 2007 Superbowl campaign).

New York let Carr loose to test the market (the Giants did not want to get rid of Carr, but they also didn't want to pay an extension), so San Fran, Zona, Seattle, and Cleveland showed a very strong interest in signing/visiting Carr for the purpose of competing for a starting job (or to push a co-existent starter).

After Carr signed with the 49ers (based on Sing's promise/home-love for Cali), Seattle and Zona went back to plan B in bidding for the 'Whitehurst' gamble with SD. -The buy-in became too rich for Zona's blood so they had backed out, and went with Derek Anderson (after a week of his initial release), while Cleveland traded away Quin, and signed Jake Delhomme (who had been vacant since the start of free-agency).

Who knows (exactly) where this will go, but I think we got an incredible deal/replacement for Shaun Hill.



outstanding recap of where we are today.

Agree. Great post & info.
I dont think it matters either way. I mean we got rid of Hill whom many claimed to fame because of his winning percentage. It's nice if someone shows a little promise. But still doesnt change the fact that he was not only a former number one, but has been around even longer than Smith and hasnt proved a thing.

Thats why I dont get where all the hype is coming from. And to be honest I think Davis has more upside than Carr may have. But like i said we have stayed true to our team, and thats pick up players, that may not have panned out anywhere else, and for some reason think we are gonna bring out their potential soo much than they have already proven. ie, HIll, JTO, Brandon JOnes, etc.

So here's to consistency.
Really? Another Carr thread! WTF? What is going on? Have you seen him play? I guess he could be a "Great #2".