There are 93 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

Originally posted by reasonable1:
I totally agree with Method, but let me say this....it truly amazes me how short a memory you people have in here.

In 2007 when the 49ers were 2-1 and Alex Smith was the DARLING young QB in the NFL, he got hurt. To my knowledge, having coached up to the semi-pro level, no player loses his job due to injury. Which is exactly what happened to Smith. All the Smith bashers like to say he hasnt done a damn thing...well I can see how you would feel that way considering the kid has only played the eqivalent of 2.5 NFL seasons while missing the other 2.5 to injury and recovery...........

Dude he was never the Darling of the NFL even in 2007. What games were you watching? The ones where Frank Gore ran wild and the defense was on fire? The ones where Alex averaged 135 yards in the air? The 49ers were not 2-1 in 07' because Alex was playing well, that is fact.
Well i just look at the words of proven teams when they say the following:

"I dont care if you win the game by one point. The fact of the matter is you won." That goes for Smith, that went for Hill, and goes for Carr as well.

Any QB competition will hinder the growth of our offense. Crabs, Morgan, Davis, etc, are all getting acclimated to Smiths arm. So some of you would want to break that continuity because you "think" Carr could give us a real shot.

Have we forgot that good ol bust label, and with Carr, he's not only started and played for a few seasons unlike Hill, but he'd be considered a bigger bust than Smith. Because he talks of confidence and such, i hear no one of the team, (players, even talkin about Carr). If anything they are saying how they are for Smith and really making a push.

A QB competition hinders growth with the WR's, learnin to run the routes, etc, and what have you. Wasnt it also agreed that when you change an offense you need the ENTIRE offseason to implement it. But nope, some want to wast time with a competition and take away the details that are gained when focusing on one player.

I dont always agree with Jamie Dukes, cuz he says some off the wall s**t, but he made a comment about somewhere else about competition and i just thought about us. But he said, "If your trying to make things happen as a starting QB, you dont need to waste time looking over your shoulder with some competition. You need as many reps as possible to get that timing down. Sometimes competitions do more damage than help.". And in our case if we continue with the bs, we will be home in 2010 as well.
Here's my thought on the whole competition thing. If you have a definitive #1 QB, having a competition is probably not the best idea and could potentially cause more damage than good. If you do NOT have a definitive #1, you really need to spend time evaluating all of your options so that you are sure you have the best guy in there. I mean, I'd hate to avoid a competition to help Smith's confidence and potentially leave a better player sitting on the bench.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Here's my thought on the whole competition thing. If you have a definitive #1 QB, having a competition is probably not the best idea and could potentially cause more damage than good. If you do NOT have a definitive #1, you really need to spend time evaluating all of your options so that you are sure you have the best guy in there. I mean, I'd hate to avoid a competition to help Smith's confidence and potentially leave a better player sitting on the bench.

Does anybody actually have COMPLETE confidence in Alex Smith?
Originally posted by WheresWaldo:

No I don't think anyone does. But do you have COMPLETE confidence in a qb competition where both qbs splitting time as the #1 throughout preseason actually working, let alone picking the right qb?
Originally posted by Method:

No I don't think anyone does. But do you have COMPLETE confidence in a qb competition where both qbs splitting time as the #1 throughout preseason actually working, let alone picking the right qb?

But how are they supposed to pick the right QB if they don't have a competition?
Can you name the qbs that will be in a competition similar to one we run here?

Oh... You can't. They have a logical progression: if you play better in OTAs you get the job for the entire preseason and first couple games.

The problem is none of those other teams had another guy on the roster who PLAYED BETTER ON GAMEDAY than the guy who plays better in OTAs. We don't have a proven starter no matter how badly you might want Alex to be that guy. He came out last season in a spread offense and looked much better than he did before, but he still showed the same signs of not being capable of being a good QB that he was showing in the past.

That was the situation in the past with Hill and Smith. If you're referring to the upcoming possibility of a competition with Carr, I can mildly see where you're coming from. But you need to remember that every other team with a GOOD QB does not have competitions for the starting role because they already have someone they know is capable.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Agreed.
AND LET THE QB COMPETITION BEGIN!!!!!!!

Without McCoulghan, Smith's main reason for being in the NFL up to this point, Smith's security blanket is gone!!!!

But how are they supposed to pick the right QB if they don't have a competition?

LOL. That's why these guys are f**king coaches in the NFL. They should be able to tell who'd be a better player through OTA's, previous game film, etc. No need to drag it through f**king preseason. What my entire premise has always been is that the QB Competition, and the way we run it, has never before given us the "right QB" (as you state it). JTO and Shaun Hill have both won these so called "competitions" and each time they have been benched for porous play. Has Alex Smith ever been benched? He's lost his job due to injury once, but he's never been benched in his entire career, and that's because he's always been improving when he got time out there.

You, and many others here, feel a dislike of Alex Smith, and that causes you to become delusional to my argument.

THE QB COMPETITION IS FLAWED.
EACH TIME SOMEONE HAS "WON" THEY HAVE BEEN BENCHED.
RUNNING THROUGH PRESEASON HURTS CHEMISTRY OF OUR OFFENSE.

I have given you all 3 points, if you decide to respond to this post, please reply to those 3.
[ Edited by Method on Mar 18, 2010 at 4:40 PM ]

LOL. That's why these guys are f**king coaches in the NFL. They should be able to tell who'd be a better player through OTA's, previous game film, etc. No need to drag it through f**king preseason. What my entire premise has always been is that the QB Competition, and the way we run it, has never before given us the "right QB" (as you state it). JTO and Shaun Hill have both won these so called "competitions" and each time they have been benched for porous play. Has Alex Smith ever been benched? He's lost his job due to injury once, but he's never been benched in his entire career, and that's because he's always been improving when he got time out there.

You, and many others here, feel a dislike of Alex Smith, and that causes you to become delusional to my argument.

I have given you all 3 points, if you decide to respond to this post, please reply to those 3.

Wasn't Alex benched in 2005?

Didn't he win the QB competition in 2006? He wasn't benched that year either... Didn't Alex regress (QB rate stat) as 2006 went on.

One could just as easily argue that playing Alex Smith hurts the chemistry of our O as much as a QB competition does. Alex has only 16 wins in 40 starts over 5 years and he still has not led us to a winning season.

I'm not hating on Alex here; I'm just point out the flaw in your argument... Just as QB competitions have not produced winning teams for us, playing Alex Smith has not produced winning seasons for us. This argument, or even yours, do not prove that the poor O performance is due to QB competition or even the QB position. It's all speculation. As a matter of fact, several of us think it's more on the line than the QB...
[ Edited by D_Niner on Mar 18, 2010 at 9:10 PM ]

Good post Meth, specifically your 3 points.

Wasn't Alex benched in 2005?

Didn't he win the QB competition in 2006? He wasn't benched that year either... Didn't Alex regress (QB rate stat) as 2006 went on.

One could just as easily argue that playing Alex Smith hurts the chemistry of our O as much as a QB competition does. Alex has only 16 wins in 40 starts over 5 years and he still has not led us to a winning season.

I'm not hating on Alex here; I'm just point out the flaw in your argument... Just as QB competitions have not produced winning teams for us, playing Alex Smith has not produced winning seasons for us. This argument, or even yours, do not prove that the poor O performance is due to QB competition or even the QB position. It's all speculation. As a matter of fact, several of us think it's more on the line than the QB...

D-Niner, I got a lot of love for you, but you didn't even respond to my points. lol

I have no idea what you're trying to say in this paragraph. Obviously our O-Line sucks, I agree, and you don't like Smith. That's fine. Not sure where you want me to specifically respond to.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Agreed.

Me too. There is NO definitive #1 QB IMO. Especially now that McCloughan is out the door, he, the most rabid of Smith fans.
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Mar 18, 2010 at 10:11 PM ]