There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

odds are that neither of these guys will impress and our talent on O and D will be wasted again. i really hope that one of these two steps up and proves history wrong.

and competition is not a bad thing. i'm sure MC & Sing told Smith that he needs to prove himself and that he will be tested. THey probably told him its his job to lose but he's going to get stiff competition. which is exactly what carr was brought in to do. the team played this smart.

both these guys should understand each other's situation better then perhaps anyone else. they will learn to survive or go down fighting. i'm very interested to see how this happens.

but one thing is for sure. for all of 9er land, whoever wins has to knock the other one out. anything less will mean they are both medicore. (unless by some miracle the 9ers brass has pitted Joe vs Steve round 2)
Carr vs. Alex Smith lol
[ Edited by AdamSchefter on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:45 PM ]
Originally posted by AdamSchefter:
Carr vs. Alex Smith lol

Sweet! billy bonka is back!
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
I think it's stupid that our coaching staff feels Alex still needs to look over his shoulder when he lost his f**king job because of said shoulder. Dudes known as one of he hardest workers on the team, he seems to be self motivated to be the best possible player he can be, these stupid f**king QB competiions just screw up our offensive continuity instead of allowing us to pick the right quarterback. It's a joke and it pisses me the the f**k off. We need to allow our qb to make mistakes through preseason, that's what it's there for. f**k.

I don't care why he lost his previous job. What I care about is what he's doing to keep his current job. If he proves he's the man for the job, then he has nothing to look over his shoulder for. His fate is in his own hands...

Obviously. I just feel like this QB competition bulls**t hurts the team more then helps. If Carr looks like the better QB in OTAs, announce him as the starter and get to work. Practice is to get better in areas where a player needs improvement, making a mistake then feeling pressure of getting demoted has never helped anyone in practice. During the real season? Yeah, if Alex or David suck, change qbs. This way of merry-go-round qbs is stupid and hasn't worked in 3 straight seasons. We need to develop chemistry with our players, and that only happens when they make mistakes.

It's going to be the same type of competition as we had last year. I think Alex will get the majority of the reps and be allowed to make mistakes. Now, if Alex continues to make the same mistakes and David doesn't, then Sing has a decision to make. IMO, this is the type of competition that makes the team better. It's the competitions like when Martz was here that make us worse...

I don't get why people think there's going to be a competition. Smith is the starter period and will be unless he totally blows it or gets injured. This signing was simply to upgrade our depth at QB.

The fact that Carr says he came here because Singletary says his play will matter does not mean he will be given an equal shot at the starting role. Singletary and Raye both know that that type of competition is not in the team's interest.

They've built this system around Smith since he entered against Houston, and I'm sure they don't want to tear the whole thing down and rebuild around another QB.
Carr just wanted to get a championship before he retired
  • vv9er
  • Veteran
The funny thing about all of this:
When Smith wasn't the "starter", there should be a QB competition....
When Smith is the "starter", a QB competition will only hinder the teams progress...

Sounds like the Smith apologists are looking over Smith's shoulder.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
If David Carr is going to challenge our starting qb for his position, then we are in deep trouble if our qb cant beat him out.

You people do realize that Alex Smith hasn't done a damn thing in this league, right? Some people on here act like Carr is inferior to Smith, and for what reason? I have no idea. Carr has at least proven to be an average QB without a gimmick spread offense. Alex Smith is terrible outside of the spread and hasn't done anything to make anyone truly believe he can be a GOOD pro football player. He looked average last year, and last year was his BEST season. The problem with his minimal success of last season is that it came from the spread, which will easily be shut down if we continue to use it.

I know you all remember the excuses used for Alex Smith's failures.. Well guess what? David Carr has a bunch of excuses we should be making for him as well. Anyone who knows anything about the guy knows he was in a sh*tty position and was never set up for success.

The thing is, we as 49er fans think Alex Smith did a better job last season than he actually did. He was mediocre, which was a major upgrade for him, but he did nothing to end any sort of QB competition if we acquired anyone with any chance of being better than him.

To be very clear, I want Alex Smith to start the season so I can see for myself what he's really got. No more injury, no more OC excuses, no more lack of targets excuse. No excuses, period. I'll be rooting for him, but until he proves what many of you act like he has already proven - capable of being a good pro QB - I won't sit around and act like a guy like David Carr is inferior because Alex Smith has done absolutely nothing for anyone to have that kind of confidence in him - yet.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 16, 2010 at 8:45 PM ]
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
If David Carr is going to challenge our starting qb for his position, then we are in deep trouble if our qb cant beat him out.

You people do realize that Alex Smith hasn't done a damn thing in this league, right? Some people on here act like Carr is inferior to Smith, and for what reason? I have no idea. Carr has at least proven to be an average QB without a gimmick spread offense. Alex Smith is terrible outside of the spread and hasn't done anything to make anyone truly believe he can be a GOOD pro football player. He looked average last year, and last year was his BEST season. The problem with his minimal success of last season is that it came from the spread, which will easily be shut down if we continue to use it.

I know you all remember the excuses used for Alex Smith's failures.. Well guess what? David Carr has a bunch of excuses we should be making for him as well. Anyone who knows anything about the guy knows he was in a sh*tty position and was never set up for success.

The thing is, we as 49er fans think Alex Smith did a better job last season than he actually did. He was mediocre, which was a major upgrade for him, but he did nothing to end any sort of QB competition if we acquired anyone with any chance of being better than him.

To be very clear, I want Alex Smith to start the season so I can see for myself what he's really got. No more injury, no more OC excuses, no more lack of targets excuse. No excuses, period. I'll be rooting for him, but until he proves what many of you act like he has already proven - capable of being a good pro QB - I won't sit around and act like a guy like David Carr is inferior because Alex Smith has done absolutely nothing for anyone to have that kind of confidence in him - yet.

Smith will lose his job to someone who has more balls and shows it (ya I know smith played with the bad shoulder for a few games). Carr took the most sacks in NFL history in one year then went to to take another record of most sacks in the ensuing 3 years, and still put up average numbers.

NOT the kind of number Smith has put up; EXCEPT for one year. Look at Smiths last 3 games last season, after he had a spurt and looked like he might do something for once besides throw an INT in the last 5 minutes of a close came to lose..

Oppp. WAIT! I wuv Alex, he da man!

He just hasn't shown me anything since he has been here, except for a very few times. I don't understand what's so hard to see here as far as what he can do. Even in our newly famous "Ray-Gun" he over throws, low, wide, behind, and lays out receivers with high passes so they get the snot knocked out of them if they manage a catch. Nothing like, NOT, leading receivers. Well maybe once every 2 or 3 games.

He will start and I want him to, because he is plum out of excuses and so are his tree huggers. I hope he makes me eat my words, but I've seen nothing since he has been @ 4949 SC to make me think he won't lose his job during the season. One thing at least; we have a HC that is not afraid to pull the plug on someone who doesn't cut it..

So tell me; what if it was Delhomme who got signed to backup Smith, would you people still be saying Smith is going to be our Savior, finally? Now tell the truth..
I totally agree with Method, but let me say this....it truly amazes me how short a memory you people have in here.

In 2007 when the 49ers were 2-1 and Alex Smith was the DARLING young QB in the NFL, he got hurt. To my knowledge, having coached up to the semi-pro level, no player loses his job due to injury. Which is exactly what happened to Smith. All the Smith bashers like to say he hasnt done a damn thing...well I can see how you would feel that way considering the kid has only played the eqivalent of 2.5 NFL seasons while missing the other 2.5 to injury and recovery.

Funny how if this was any other team we were talking about everyone would understand and have reasons why they support the player. But b/c it was our #1 pick who has unfortunately had a very serious injury and not had the best support in the world, everyone wants to rag on him.

I asked a question a couple months ago and still havent gotten an answer so I will pose it again for all the Smith haters.

Top 10 QB's in the league after last season:

Brees
Peyton/Eli Manning
Rodgers
Favre
McNabb
Rivers
Rothlisberger
Romo
Brady

Name one of those players who has had to undergo a complete overhaul of their offensive system EVERY SEASON in their first 4-5 seasons in the NFL as well as numerous offensive coaching changes and a head coach throwing them under the bus for attempting to play injured.

Since everyone likes to bash...then put some got damn logic behind your posts.

Don't worry...I'll wait.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
I totally agree with Method, but let me say this....it truly amazes me how short a memory you people have in here.

In 2007 when the 49ers were 2-1 and Alex Smith was the DARLING young QB in the NFL, he got hurt. To my knowledge, having coached up to the semi-pro level, no player loses his job due to injury. Which is exactly what happened to Smith. All the Smith bashers like to say he hasnt done a damn thing...well I can see how you would feel that way considering the kid has only played the eqivalent of 2.5 NFL seasons while missing the other 2.5 to injury and recovery.

Funny how if this was any other team we were talking about everyone would understand and have reasons why they support the player. But b/c it was our #1 pick who has unfortunately had a very serious injury and not had the best support in the world, everyone wants to rag on him.

I asked a question a couple months ago and still havent gotten an answer so I will pose it again for all the Smith haters.

Brees
Peyton/Eli Manning
Rodgers
Favre
McNabb
Rivers
Rothlisberger
Romo
Brady

Name one of those players who has had to undergo a complete overhaul of their offensive system EVERY SEASON in their first 4-5 seasons in the NFL as well as numerous offensive coaching changes and a head coach throwing them under the bus for attempting to play injured.

Don't worry...I'll wait.

Well my logic is;
Smith has NEVER shown the poise, accuracy, consistent winning, consistency that these players have attained. Whether it be Brees out with his shoulder problems or Payton playing at #1 level right away.

Smith, I don't know how you can compare him to these players, they all "show" so much more every time they are on the field. Smith has only "showed" us parts of 3 or 4 quarters in his entire career, even if you want to consider it 2.5years worth,
Most of the time he just looks like $hit, lost with no solutions for the non-plays he creates.

I'll say it again; I DO NOT HATE Smith. I just don't think he is a good player and probably will never be good enough to put games on his back and win them for our Niners. So what's the purpose of flogging the long drawn out process of deciding to can him or not??? Look what Holmgren did to Brady; cut him after 3 years. He saw enough tape from, what was it, 7 or 8 starts to decide he was not "the one" for the Browns.

Tell me, what do you think his decision would have be on Smith if he would have been signed as GM when Sing was signed for HC?? Think Smith would still be here??

It's all about the team.

Not holding some guy's hand for 5+ years and hope he will come around some day and create the QB playing standard many of us are used to by many 49er QBs. Those of you who think he is good enough, and that 8-8 seasons are good and a beginning that definitely points to greatness, are from a generation that has not tasted consistent winning and have been perhaps taught, that mediocrity and below that, is OK; "as long as you are trying". Crap, give me a freakin break..

NINERS!!
Originally posted by northstar:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Any arguements protecting Smith in the past five years can also bemade for Carr. In addition, Smith did not play near average until the offense catered to his strengths or to make things easy for him. Carr has yet to have this opportunity.

Personally, I would rather want the more mobile QB: Smith.

Your obvious disregard for the bad play calling/bad OL is almost hysterical. And also...whats wrong if he is good at the spread and it was working... cause if I remember correctly.... we would do the s**tty play calling run/run/crappy play and then punt and then all of the sudden do the spread and go down the field and scored a TD. I'd say his play was average.

I disregarded that because then the same argument could be made for Shaun Hill. He even hinted in the Matt M. article that he wasn't in favor of the playcalling. Martz catored to Hill's strengths and Hill put of similar numbers to Smith in 8 games in 2008. That's why I disregarded it because then we can go round and round.

At the end of the day, I'm hoping Smith comes out as the unquestionable starter because of his mobility. Other than that, Carr just as good in overall strengths that a QB needs.
I get your argument. You feel like Alex has not proven to be a starter in the NFL, therefore he needs another player pushing him to get better, so this qb competiton can oh help him to get better or allow the better qb to get the job.

I feel rotating qbs only hurts our team because they don't get to gain the same chemistry with their teammates as other qbs in the league do. It obviously hasn't worked for the past 3 years so why keep doing it? There has been no example of a qb competiion during training camp, where the qbs rotate with the first team, actually ending up working in the long run. None.

I think I agree more with you, Method, on this one. If a QB has proven enough to be a starter BUT is still trying to prove it, then another player behind him is not what is needed during an evaluation/development period. That type of "push" is only needed when a proven player seems to be getting too comfortable with his job security and loses focus. Alex is far from being secure at his position even if Nate Davis was the backup. I'm sure he doesn't need any more of a push. In fact, from the past five years, it seems as though he needs that comfort rather than looking over his shoulder in order to perform more relaxed.
Originally posted by reasonable1:

Brees
Peyton/Eli Manning
Rodgers
Favre
McNabb
Rivers
Rothlisberger
Romo
Brady

Don't worry...I'll wait.

You might as well lose the smugness at the end of your post because you aren't bringing up anything people can't respond to.

None of them have had to do what you asked, but..

You want some real questions? Name one of those QBs who constantly over/underthrows their number one target - or any target for that matter. Name one of them who can't read coverages or go through his progressions properly. Name one of them who consistently locks onto his target so the defense knows what he's about to do. Name one who has trouble taking a snap from under center. Name one who has only shown small flashes of being a decent QB from a spread offense designed to alleviate pressure from a QB. Name one who gives up on plays when his initial target is covered and his secondary target is either covered or in a position where the QB cannot make the throw necessary to get him the ball.

Oh that's right, NONE of that applies to THEM and THAT is why they are the top 10 QBs and Alex Smith is NOT.

His injury is healed. Everything else I just mentioned can be done by a GOOD QB regardless of how many coaches or schemes they have to go through. The coach and scheme should not affect a QB's accuracy or ability to read defenses or his ability to take a godd*mn snap from under center!

I try to support Alex on here, but people always have to f*ck it up and bring up the excuses as if we haven't gone over them a million times already. NONE of that sh*t you mentioned should affect ANY of the sh*t I mentioned, not even the injury because it was healed last season, and the sh*t I mentioned is the real reason he is not a good QB at the moment.
[ Edited by 49erRider on Mar 17, 2010 at 2:36 PM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
I get your argument. You feel like Alex has not proven to be a starter in the NFL, therefore he needs another player pushing him to get better, so this qb competiton can oh help him to get better or allow the better qb to get the job.

I feel rotating qbs only hurts our team because they don't get to gain the same chemistry with their teammates as other qbs in the league do. It obviously hasn't worked for the past 3 years so why keep doing it? There has been no example of a qb competiion during training camp, where the qbs rotate with the first team, actually ending up working in the long run. None.

I think I agree more with you, Method, on this one. If a QB has proven enough to be a starter BUT is still trying to prove it, then another player behind him is not what is needed during an evaluation/development period. That type of "push" is only needed when a proven player seems to be getting too comfortable with his job security and loses focus. Alex is far from being secure at his position even if Nate Davis was the backup. I'm sure he doesn't need any more of a push. In fact, from the past five years, it seems as though he needs that comfort rather than looking over his shoulder in order to perform more relaxed.

A QB must earn the right to be afforded that type of opportunity and I don't think Alex has earned that in his time here. Were talking about the #19 QB in the NFL (passer rate)... There are 5 players that were drafted after Alex that are all ahead of him in passer rate, and before you say they had better supporting casts, 3 of those 5 QB's were on teams that ended with the same record or worse than us.

There are QB's who have played better in the NFL than Alex who will be in a QB competition this year; so, I don't care if it's going to hurt his feelings or shake his confidence. If his temperament is so fragile that he cannot handle a little competition, maybe he needs to find a new line of work...
Can you name the qbs that will be in a competition similar to one we run here?

Oh... You can't. They have a logical progression: if you play better in OTAs you get the job for the entire preseason and first couple games. For us? We split time between two qbs throughout preseason which does not help chemistry at all. D-niner your argument, as well as everyone else who dislikes Alex has always been the same, he should be ready for a competition or what type of qb is he? Etc etc. He f**king is ready. So is every other player in the NFL. How do you think Alex came in against Houston and score 3 Tds? Because he was ready. These guys are always ready for competition, but the type of qb competition we run is inherently flawed.