There are 203 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

This isn't going to be the same type of QB competition we've had in past years. Smith is the starter going in and will be given starter's reps. Sing will give Smith every opportunity to remain the starter. I'd be really surprised if he pulled him haphazardly.

Having to look over your shoulder simply comes with the territory of being an NFL player. Look at Tomlinson. The guy's a gimme HOFer and was shown the door. It's a "what have you done for me lately" league and Smith needs to perform regardless of who's behind him on the depth chart. I liked Hill for his fight, but let's be honest, his physical skills were a limiting factor.

I don't understand why anyone would be upset with this move. We brought in a QB who is more similar to Smith than Hill is, so if he does enter a game (either because Smith flops or gets injured), we don't have to change the whole game plan. It was a sensible move.

As for the Niners not calling Hill, could it be that there were some formalities of the deal not yet completed? From an outside perspective, it does seem unprofessional not to give Hill a call, but then again we've only read that one account. For all we know the Niners have called him since. I hope so, because Hill deserves better than that.
[ Edited by gravelburn on Mar 16, 2010 at 2:37 AM ]
As the bible says,"As iron sharpens iron,so one man sharpens another". Competition is good,it's what made Joe great for so long because he knew he had to perform with Steve breathing down his neck!
i dont care of theres a competition the only thing i care about is if alex loses his first team reps the starter needs to go in this season fully prepared and that means getting the starters and WR timing right that and dropped balls and bad o line were the main reason our offense was not as good as it could be
MY QUESTION IS.... WHY THE HELL DIDN'T ARIZONA PICK THIS GUY UP??
(leinart hasn't proven himself as much as smith)

I'm thinking we snagged him for
1) Fisical skills and the fact that he "could" be a HUGE suprise.
2) To keep him from Arizona.

With arizona's oline and their recievers he could succede. It's a risky move signing CARR, but a move that could give us some great suprises.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I know that many of you have stated we shouldn't have one, and to a certain extent I agree. Smith can't help but look over his shoulder especially with this revelation from Carr:

"I want my actions to matter," Carr said Monday. "For me I got the right answer from him that 'you can go out and compete and, yeah, we're going to pay attention to what you do.' After that, I was good. That's all I wanted to hear. Now it's just hard work."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/carr-got-right-answer-when-asked-if-actions-will-matter.html

So will this be a return to what we've seen where if Smith makes a few mistakes, Carr is waiting in the wings? Has Alex done enough to be the designated starter? I know you have to compete for your job every day, but again does this imbue the starter with confidence if the team doesn't have complete confidence in him as the starter?

Your thoughts!

We've done everything possible to make things just right for Alex. If he cant handle this pressure from some QB competition, we know he wont be able to handle game pressure as well. Alex needs to bring out some poise and arrogance to only make himself better.
It pretty simple. If training camp starts and it's still obvious Smith can't play under center he's gonna start losing reps. Man this team needs a real qb.
geez, this s**t again??? GIVE SMITH THE REINS!!!! f**k!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If all this talk Carr is doing doesn't motivate Smith I don't know what will. I don't want another QB competition this year I want consistency and we can finally have that this year with the same starting QB and the same offensive system. I really hope Smith is motivated because if he's not I wouldn't be surprised if Carr ends up being the starter after all Smith couldn't even beat out JTO or Hill the past 2 years in camp.
There's nothing wrong with Smith having to look over his shoulder in training camp and exhibition. I'd be surprised as anyone if our Opening Day QB is David Carr. But let's not kid ourselves: Alex Smith is not Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan; a young QB with a firm grasp on the top job.

The ultimate winner in this could be Nate Davis. If Smith falters, Carr proves he's just another J.T. O'Sullivan and the Niners don't draft a quarterback in April (which I doubt they will unless one falls to them), then Singletary may have no choice but to look to see if Davis has made enough progress.

My guess is he hasn't. Our QB situation remains murky.
I think it's stupid that our coaching staff feels Alex still needs to look over his shoulder when he lost his f**king job because of said shoulder. Dudes known as one of he hardest workers on the team, he seems to be self motivated to be the best possible player he can be, these stupid f**king QB competiions just screw up our offensive continuity instead of allowing us to pick the right quarterback. It's a joke and it pisses me the the f**k off. We need to allow our qb to make mistakes through preseason, that's what it's there for. f**k.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Any arguements protecting Smith in the past five years can also bemade for Carr. In addition, Smith did not play near average until the offense catered to his strengths or to make things easy for him. Carr has yet to have this opportunity.

Personally, I would rather want the more mobile QB: Smith.

Your obvious disregard for the bad play calling/bad OL is almost hysterical. And also...whats wrong if he is good at the spread and it was working... cause if I remember correctly.... we would do the s**tty play calling run/run/crappy play and then punt and then all of the sudden do the spread and go down the field and scored a TD. I'd say his play was average.
Originally posted by Method:
I think it's stupid that our coaching staff feels Alex still needs to look over his shoulder when he lost his f**king job because of said shoulder. Dudes known as one of he hardest workers on the team, he seems to be self motivated to be the best possible player he can be, these stupid f**king QB competiions just screw up our offensive continuity instead of allowing us to pick the right quarterback. It's a joke and it pisses me the the f**k off. We need to allow our qb to make mistakes through preseason, that's what it's there for. f**k.

I don't care why he lost his previous job. What I care about is what he's doing to keep his current job. If he proves he's the man for the job, then he has nothing to look over his shoulder for. His fate is in his own hands...
Originally posted by D_Niner:

I don't care why he lost his previous job. What I care about is what he's doing to keep his current job. If he proves he's the man for the job, then he has nothing to look over his shoulder for. His fate is in his own hands...

Obviously. I just feel like this QB competition bulls**t hurts the team more then helps. If Carr looks like the better QB in OTAs, announce him as the starter and get to work. Practice is to get better in areas where a player needs improvement, making a mistake then feeling pressure of getting demoted has never helped anyone in practice. During the real season? Yeah, if Alex or David suck, change qbs. This way of merry-go-round qbs is stupid and hasn't worked in 3 straight seasons. We need to develop chemistry with our players, and that only happens when they make mistakes.
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Obviously. I just feel like this QB competition bulls**t hurts the team more then helps. If Carr looks like the better QB in OTAs, announce him as the starter and get to work. Practice is to get better in areas where a player needs improvement, making a mistake then feeling pressure of getting demoted has never helped anyone in practice. During the real season? Yeah, if Alex or David suck, change qbs. This way of merry-go-round qbs is stupid and hasn't worked in 3 straight seasons. We need to develop chemistry with our players, and that only happens when they make mistakes.

It's going to be the same type of competition as we had last year. I think Alex will get the majority of the reps and be allowed to make mistakes. Now, if Alex continues to make the same mistakes and David doesn't, then Sing has a decision to make. IMO, this is the type of competition that makes the team better. It's the competitions like when Martz was here that make us worse...
I get your argument. You feel like Alex has not proven to be a starter in the NFL, therefore he needs another player pushing him to get better, so this qb competiton can oh help him to get better or allow the better qb to get the job.

I feel rotating qbs only hurts our team because they don't get to gain the same chemistry with their teammates as other qbs in the league do. It obviously hasn't worked for the past 3 years so why keep doing it? There has been no example of a qb competiion during training camp, where the qbs rotate with the first team, actually ending up working in the long run. None.