There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

Carr is going on and doing interviews and talking like he expects to end up the starter and all this and that he's ready to go..... and Singletary is extremely quiet about naming Alex Smith the set starter..... Coincidence?
It should be smith's job to lose..i would hate to see the smith to davis chemistry broken up
Originally posted by northstar:
Carr is going on and doing interviews and talking like he expects to end up the starter and all this and that he's ready to go..... and Singletary is extremely quiet about naming Alex Smith the set starter..... Coincidence?

Yeah, it's f**king stupid. Either Singletary should announce Smith as the starter or say that there will be a competition. This halfway bulls**t to appease his players is the way of a head coach who doesn't know what the f**k he's doing.
Why????
The facts:

He said he always wants competition:

Signs Carr who has similar arm strength to Alex Smith:

Carr also needs to desperately prove himself:

Carr seems oddly commited to a backup role(stating he wants friends/family to come watch him play in person/and or tv):

Carr talks like he is going for the starting spot:

If singletary doesn't say anything word will spread and even if it isn't officially announced competition will begin.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by northstar:

Yeah, it's f**king stupid. Either Singletary should announce Smith as the starter or say that there will be a competition. This halfway bulls**t to appease his players is the way of a head coach who doesn't know what the f**k he's doing.

You guys need to relax.

Quote:

"The thing for me is I'm always going to use words like 'probably' and all those other things because I like competition. I like guys knowing that they're always going to compete. But I feel very comfortable in saying Alex Smith is our starting quarterback going forward."

Link

C'mon are you guys actually worried about David Carr taking Alex Smith's job?? If so, then what people have been saying about Smith all these years hold true, cause David Carr sucks.
Sorry Kolohe, was still kind of upset at this team for not even calling Shaun Hill to tell him we are trading him; as of yet he still has not received an official call from the 49ers. What a joke. s**t like this pisses me off, specially when Hill was a very classy dude who fans and players alike respected. He wasn't the hardest thrower, but he was a hard worker who came to play every time he went out there, the way our coaching staff and FO is treating him, to go along with this "QB Competition" is rubbing me the wrong way.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Sorry Kolohe, was still kind of upset at this team for not even calling Shaun Hill to tell him we are trading him; as of yet he still has not received an official call from the 49ers. What a joke. s**t like this pisses me off, specially when Hill was a very classy dude who fans and players alike respected. He wasn't the hardest thrower, but he was a hard worker who came to play every time he went out there, the way our coaching staff and FO is treating him, to go along with this "QB Competition" is rubbing me the wrong way.

No need to apologize bro, I have to agree with you. Sure McCloughan could've shown Hill more class or however way it way down. But this is the business side of football now. As of late I have found myself also disagreeing with some moves McCloughan has made, and I think if Smith fails than McCloughan shouldn't be too far behind him.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
I know that many of you have stated we shouldn't have one, and to a certain extent I agree. Smith can't help but look over his shoulder especially with this revelation from Carr:

"I want my actions to matter," Carr said Monday. "For me I got the right answer from him that 'you can go out and compete and, yeah, we're going to pay attention to what you do.' After that, I was good. That's all I wanted to hear. Now it's just hard work."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/carr-got-right-answer-when-asked-if-actions-will-matter.html

So will this be a return to what we've seen where if Smith makes a few mistakes, Carr is waiting in the wings? Has Alex done enough to be the designated starter? I know you have to compete for your job every day, but again does this imbue the starter with confidence if the team doesn't have complete confidence in him as the starter?

Your thoughts!

you act like this wasnt common sense from the day we signed Carr...

we didnt sign Carr because we werent happy with Smith, we signed him to light a fire under his butt and not get complacent with his position. he will push himself harder if theres something to take it away. and i heard rumblings the team thought Shaun Hill and Alex were too good of friends to have fierce competition.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

No need to apologize bro, I have to agree with you. Sure McCloughan could've shown Hill more class or however way it way down. But this is the business side of football now. As of late I have found myself also disagreeing with some moves McCloughan has made, and I think if Smith fails than McCloughan shouldn't be too far behind him.

Yeah, it just sucks that these guys decide to deal with issues this way.

You don't tell a well-liked player he's going to be traded? He has to learn by going on the internet? Uh...

Then you go and get another quarterback, telling him that he has a great chance to win the job by competing even though you've told the quarterback you have that he's the "starter going forward."

How far did that "forward" movement go? Like three days? LOL.
Any arguements protecting Smith in the past five years can also bemade for Carr. In addition, Smith did not play near average until the offense catered to his strengths or to make things easy for him. Carr has yet to have this opportunity.

Personally, I would rather want the more mobile QB: Smith.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
If it's an open (fair) competition. I could see Carr winning. I expect this to be a Smith's job-to-lose type of competition though...

If Al Smith were performing at a high level, then I could understand the scepticism about Carr taking over.
Originally posted by RogerCraig:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
If it's an open (fair) competition. I could see Carr winning. I expect this to be a Smith's job-to-lose type of competition though...

If Al Smith were performing at a high level, then I could understand the scepticism about Carr taking over.

I have no doubts that Alex will win the job, but my problem is with the fact that we need to have this stupid f**king QB competition every preseason. There's no need for it. If Alex plays bad during the season, fine, bench him. Didn't we already announce him as the starter? "Every player has to look behind his back, etc, etc." That's pure bulls**t, lol. Michael Crabtree could have a horrible camp, and suck in every preseason game, he'd still be our #1 WR. There's no one "behind him, as a competition." Where was the competition when Crabs signs 6 weeks late, and immediately is made a starter? This team has committed a long list of fallacies already this season, and this is just another one to top the list. What a joke.

"But I feel very comfortable in saying Alex Smith is our starting quarterback going forward."

"For me I got the right answer from him that 'you can go out and compete and, yeah, we're going to pay attention to what you do.' After that, I was good. That's all I wanted to hear. Now it's just hard work."

What a bunch of bulls**t.
[ Edited by Method on Mar 16, 2010 at 1:08 AM ]
I don't think people have a problem with Smith not being annointed 110% as the starter. The problem that some of us have is with the idea that ANOTHER QB competition is going to help.

I think we need the QB (I don't care who it is) to just get some continuity, all the 1st team reps, and really build solid chemistry, trust, and timing with the offense.

Alex has not proven he shoud be the guy. I agree. But he's also proven that he's a hard worker regardless of what the circumstance. So I don't see the whole point of bringing someone in just to"push" him. Alex needs 100% reps, not motivation or "push." That's for the QB on the other side of the bay.