There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

Carr is here as a safety blanket for 2011. I really don't think he has a shot at 'winning' the starting job during OTAs and training camp. If Smith falters then we will let him go and look for a QB in the draft. This will allow us to stay competitive with Carr as the starter in 2011 and develop two young QB's (along with Nate Davis if he still is on the roster).

*I should note that I am using the term 'falter' really loosely here. Essentially, if Smith performs like he did last season he will be gone. He needs to improve to earn an extension.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Its David Carr! Do you guys think that he is all of the sudden going to become a good QB? Up to this point, he has never done anything as a QB. And if the coaching staff believes that David Carr will lead our team to victory, we are in deep, deep trouble. I know Alex Smith is not a great QB, but is he bad enough to lose his position to David friggen Carr!?

The same thing could be said about Alex Smith. Also, have you guys even taken a look at Carr's stats along with his sack totals (Look at Carr's 3rd year)? He's done as well as if not better than Alex Smith.

I could see it now during TC: Carrpologists vs Alexcusers

Remember, that Raye-Gun type of offense makes it easier for a QB so who knows how well Carr can perform in it.
[ Edited by Joecool on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM ]
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
Carr is here as a safety blanket for 2011. I really don't think he has a shot at 'winning' the starting job during OTAs and training camp. If Smith falters then we will let him go and look for a QB in the draft. This will allow us to stay competitive with Carr as the starter in 2011 and develop two young QB's (along with Nate Davis if he still is on the roster).

*I should note that I am using the term 'falter' really loosely here. Essentially, if Smith performs like he did last season he will be gone. He needs to improve to earn an extension.

last season wasnt bad if you expand it to 16 games he had 28 tds and this is without practice and coming from a 2 year injury i think he will improve if the o line is improved
Carr said he was given assurance by Mike Singletary that the quarterback positions are not locked down. "That's one of the first questions I asked when I came out here," Carr said when asked about the opportunity to compete for a starting job. "And I didn't word it that way. The way I worded it was, 'Are my actions on the field going to matter?' Because the last two years being with Eli - and he's been entrenched, won a Super Bowl. We had a good time. But it felt like sometimes when I went out to practice that it didn't really matter what I did. ... I kind of wanted to feel in my next stop, my last stop in my head, is I want my actions to matter. For me, I got the right answer from (Singletary), that 'You can go out there and compete and, yeah, we're going to pay attention to what you do.' After that, I was good. That's all I needed to hear."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/carr-says-he-se.html#ixzz0iHlMqIHk

*I should note that I am using the term 'falter' really loosely here. Essentially, if [b]Smith performs like he did last season he will be gone. He needs to improve to earn an extension.[/b]

If they address the OL and work out the play calling to mix Spread/Gore running to keep defenses on their hills.... He will do fine.. he didn't play terrible last year... If you look back you notice that when he wasn't doing good it was because of terrible play calling... then we got desperate and started to mix it up and bring in more spread and what do you know... he plays good.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Carr said he was given assurance by Mike Singletary that the quarterback positions are not locked down. "That's one of the first questions I asked when I came out here," Carr said when asked about the opportunity to compete for a starting job. "And I didn't word it that way. The way I worded it was, 'Are my actions on the field going to matter?' Because the last two years being with Eli - and he's been entrenched, won a Super Bowl. We had a good time. But it felt like sometimes when I went out to practice that it didn't really matter what I did. ... I kind of wanted to feel in my next stop, my last stop in my head, is I want my actions to matter. For me, I got the right answer from (Singletary), that 'You can go out there and compete and, yeah, we're going to pay attention to what you do.' After that, I was good. That's all I needed to hear."

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/archives/2010/03/carr-says-he-se.html#ixzz0iHlMqIHk

In addition to common sense I am sure he has. Alex Smith is definitely on the verge of being counted out.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

last season wasnt bad if you expand it to 16 games he had 28 tds and this is without practice and coming from a 2 year injury i think he will improve if the o line is improved

I agree he played well considering what he had been through. And I also agree that he should improve this year. However, with that being said, I don't see the 49ers giving him a contract extension if he does not prove that he IS the QB of the future. Hence, the David Carr signing.
[ Edited by YouGotGored on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:13 PM ]
I do not see that we will have another QB Competition with split snaps like the years before and I would not interpret Carrs words like that.

The way I see it, in New York the thing is, whatever Carr would do, Eli is and will be the QB of the Giants. He was their draft pick (kinda), he won a Super Bowl for them and he has the big contract now, so he is their QB, for better or worse. Because of that, even if Eli would struggle for a while, Carr would only play if Eli got hurt.

But now, in San Francisco, Carr has a chance to play either this year, if Alex Smith really struggles, or next year, if he does not get a new contract. So I can see that Carr believes he has a much better chance now with the Niners to be the guy.

That said, I believe Carr will clearly be the backup QB and we will not have split snaps in training camp like we had in the last years because Alex now has some distinct advantages over Carr:

Smith knows the system: For the first time in his pro career, Alex will have the same O-Coordinator and the same offensive system in consecutive years. In the QB competitions before, Alex and the other QBs all essentially started from square one in regards to the offensive system, sometimes (like JTO) the other QBs even had an advantage in that regard. Now with Carr, he will have to learn the system and the terminology first, while Alex can build on last year.

Smith has some rapport with Jimmy Raye: I am not sure, this could also be part of "he knows the system", but what the heck: Alex also has the advantage that he already worked with his O-Coordinator and Jimmy Raye already has some feel for Alex and what he likes and can do best. I think this is something that can influence playcalling a lot and is another factor where Carr will have to start from scratch while Alex can build on last year. Besides, Alex already knows when Raye takes a nap during gametime and can react quicker when he gets snoring noises instead of playcalls again

Smith has chemistry with the receivers: Alex already had the chance to play and build rapport with this offensive weapons. He knows guys like Gore and Vernon Davis well and already started some chemistry with Crabtree. Hill also had some of that advantage because he was in San Francisco as long as Alex, but Carr will have to start from scratch in that regard and especially with receivers, chemistry is huge.

Smith already has locker room support: Strangely, this could be one area where Alex actually profits from the fact that his good buddy Shaun Hill got traded. Until now, you always heard reports that Alex was a hard worker and well liked in the locker room and you also heard the same thing from Hill. You even got the impression that the players liked Shaun maybe a little bit more. But now Shaun is gone and Carr is a locker room unknown and if we believe Patrick Willis´ first reaction, at least some guys will be skeptic. Meanwhile, Alex remains as one the guy who is well liked and where the team knows he works hard and does everything he needs to do. You even heard some public declarations where teammates stand behind Alex and however serious those are, the other players do not know Carr yet and any form of similar backing for Carr he will have to earn first.

Now take those reasons and add the fact that right now Alex actually is our starter and I think there will be no QB competition like we had in the years before. But I can also see why David Carr thinks he has a much better chance in San Francisco and said so, because quite frankly, he has, compared to his situation in New York.
David Carr will beat out Alex Smith this year like Shaun Hill beat him out last year.

Sad but true.
Originally posted by BigBug415:
David Carr will beat out Alex Smith this year like Shaun Hill beat him out last year.

Sad but true.

LIES!
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
There seems to be some confusion over what constitutes "competition." Will there be an open competition in which the QBs split an equal number of snaps and each has an equal chance of winning the starting job? No, there will not be that type of QB competition.

But will Carr have a chance at unseating the starter Smith? Yes he will. Almost every starter in the league, at every position, has to look over his shoulder and prove every day that he deserves the job. That's the way it is. "Iron sharpens iron," as Singletary says (though in this case, it's more like "tin sharpens tin"). Unless you're in the Pro Bowl, you have to compete for your job every day.

In actual practice, coaches are reluctant to promote the backup into the starting role. The #2 has to clearly outperform the #1. In this case, Smith has the advantage of being in Jimmy Raye's system for the second year. He knows the plays and he knows the players. Carr will be learning a new system and probably won't seriously challenge Smith's position during training camp. But Smith will be looking over his shoulder, and that's what the coaches like.
IMHO Alex Smith will win the competition or else Carr/Davis will. Just my opinion.
The only competition should be between David Carr and Nate Davis to push eachother.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PTulini:
The only competition should be between David Carr and Nate Davis to push eachother.

that's probably it.
Originally posted by jreff22: