There are 183 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

Originally posted by excelsior:
We have a group of posters on this site who adopt each new face as their darling heart-throb. First it was JTO, then it was Hill, then it was Davis, now it is Carr. Why can't these people just wait until someone has proven beyond doubt that they are the answer? With very little to go on, there are some who cannot understand why Davis isn't the declared starter. With Carr having a meager history, how can they believe that Carr should beat out Smith? They could be right, but more likely they live in a dream world. Hope and change.

To maximize Alex's opportunity to improve this year, he is going to need maximum reps with the starters all through TC and beyond. I have often heard that Alex was the hardest worker on the team, so I have trouble relating to the argument that Carr's presence is needed to "push" him.

In order to understand this, you have to live in the 'real' world to appreciate where most of these fans are coming from. -Fans pay money to go to games, fans buy merchandise, and fans pay cable bills/Sunday Ticket to watch the 49ers win games by any means necessary, as long as they win. -These same fans are not doing all of the above because they live in this stupid MODERN SOCIETY where everybody is a winner, and that you should get 5 chances in life to earn your career back.

As I understand, 60% of the fan consensus here is made up of unemployed/non-college dips-hits between the ages of 16-24 mooching off of a trust fund/parent's income, that think Alex Smith deserves 50 chances because their b*****d teachers at school pumped them full of that "SELF-ESTEEM ASSURANCE" bulls**t!

I'm sorry, but there are no gimmes in this world, and we hold no pity for a guy who gets paid over 1-3 million dollars a year which does not consistently perform the job he's paid to do.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
what do you expect singletary to say to a QB?

"you have no chance of starting for this team and we won't pay attention if you show that you have starter potential....so are you interested in what i have to offer?"

Not really - For example, it's understood if any QB is signed by the Colts, we know what his role will be. Yes, that's an extreme example, but I think you have to understand why Carr came to San Francisco despite being wooed by a number of teams; he doesn't want to be a back-up forever.

That being said - he goes to the team that has (1) some of the most up-and-coming talent on offense (and defense) and (2) has a starting QB position to which he can challenge. Think Miami Dolphins under Jay Feidler.

-------------------------

It's a big priority for Carr to change the perception of him around the NFL. After all, if you say the name "David Carr," the first thing that comes to most people's minds is "bust." Carr said he could have remained with the New York Giants, but he wanted to go out and challenge himself.

Carr said he is a much better player now than he was during his five seasons with the expansion Houston Texans because of experience and confidence.

--Also, Carr has spoken with veteran free-agent guard Chester Pitts, who is scheduled to visit the 49ers this week. The played together with the Texans. "He's solid," Carr said. "He'd be a great addition to these guys."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/carr-leaves-comfortable-gig-behind-eli-to-prove-himself.html

i agree with that i'm just saying all coaches have to play politics to attract players sometimes...in this case i think it was a little bit of carr feeling the situation as you stated and a little bit of sing knowing the right thing to say
Originally posted by excelsior:
We have a group of posters on this site who adopt each new face as their darling heart-throb. First it was JTO, then it was Hill, then it was Davis, now it is Carr. Why can't these people just wait until someone has proven beyond doubt that they are the answer? With very little to go on, there are some who cannot understand why Davis isn't the declared starter. With Carr having a meager history, how can they believe that Carr should beat out Smith? They could be right, but more likely they live in a dream world. Hope and change.

To maximize Alex's opportunity to improve this year, he is going to need maximum reps with the starters all through TC and beyond. I have often heard that Alex was the hardest worker on the team, so I have trouble relating to the argument that Carr's presence is needed to "push" him.

Ummm.... I don't get that from this thread at all. I see a bunch of posters that are not sold on Smith here; but, who's saying that Carr is "beyond doubt" the answer?

In short, I think you're overreacting here...
[ Edited by D_Niner on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:44 PM ]
Didn't Sing already state that Alex is going to be the starting QB ?
I wouldn't be surprised if Carr ends up being the starter I mean Smith couldn't beat out JTO 2 years ago and couldn't beat out Hill last year. Now supposedly there won't be a QB competition this year but I'm not buying that and I wouldn't be surprised if smith can't beat out Carr.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
Didn't Sing already state that Alex is going to be the starting QB ?

I think he said the plan at that time was that Smith would be the starter; but, if someone better came available....
Singletary was reluctant to name Alex Smith the for sure 100% starter.... now it comes out he's telling Carr he will have competition. I wouldn't care if Carr is better then Smith... but I think Smith should be taking 100% snaps with the starters and really trying to build up the system with VD/Crabtee/Hill/Morgan and with Raye.... splitting the time again is only going to give us an unready Offense come week 1. The best bet is going to be consistency with QB and Offense.
Originally posted by ninerfan4life:
I wouldn't be surprised if Carr ends up being the starter I mean Smith couldn't beat out JTO 2 years ago and couldn't beat out Hill last year. Now supposedly there won't be a QB competition this year but I'm not buying that and I wouldn't be surprised if smith can't beat out Carr.

Shoulder injury and Mike Martz had everything to do with the JTO "competition". Last year everyone knew it was Hill's job to lose because of the way he ended the prior season. Not to mention that if the team threw Smith into the fire from week one, he would be booed the first time he threw a bad pass. Singletary is smarter than Nolan, and eased Smith back into the starting role. The writing was on the wall for Hill after the 3rd or 4th game of the season.
Alex Smith will start unless he is injured.
Carr played for Carolina a few years ago, and when he replaced Jake Delhomme, he didn't exactly set the world on fire. If I recall, he actually sucked. I'm not too worried about Alex Smith. The big issue is the offensive line. If Smith has time to throw, then he will be fine. If not, then it won't matter whether it's Smith or Carr under center.

Dan
49er Fan in NC
I don't give a sh*T who wins the competition or who starts, Smith, Carr, or Nate Davis... it doesnt matter, if we don't make the friggen playoffs and clinch the NFC West this year, I'm going to be f*ing pissed off!!! dammmit!

Both Smith and Carr have already been titled as BUSTS around the league. The only advantage I see Alex Smith having is obviously that he's been on the 49ers for 5 years already. Other than that... Smith = Carr.
blah blah blah

there is no qb competition, but if it makes you feel better then more power to you.
Originally posted by dankmeistr:
Carr played for Carolina a few years ago, and when he replaced Jake Delhomme, he didn't exactly set the world on fire. If I recall, he actually sucked. I'm not too worried about Alex Smith. The big issue is the offensive line. If Smith has time to throw, then he will be fine. If not, then it won't matter whether it's Smith or Carr under center.

Dan
49er Fan in NC

this
I'm not arguing for a QB competition folks.... I'm just saying it's interesting that Sing has said something publicly like "Alex Smith is the starter" but Carr then says "he said the things I needed to hear". If you have "something to prove" as a starter, why come to San Francisco? I'm just saying the implication is that he has a "shot" at challenging. Just interesting - that's all and wanted to understand your reaction(s).
[ Edited by NinerGM on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:59 PM ]