There are 73 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

Had David Carr on my fantasy team a few years back and strictly from a numbers standpoint, he actually did quite well for me.

Seriously though, living in Indiana, I see a lot of Colts games, and they play the Texans twice a year. Carr isn’t a great QB, but I do not think he is near as bad as a lot of people think. Not sure I’d put him as a significantly better QB than Smith, but I would say he’s not significantly worse.
If Smith is the kind of player that needs the coaches to give him special handling to build up confidence, then he does not deserve to be a NFL starter in the first place.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Had David Carr on my fantasy team a few years back and strictly from a numbers standpoint, he actually did quite well for me.

Seriously though, living in Indiana, I see a lot of Colts games, and they play the Texans twice a year. Carr isn’t a great QB, but I do not think he is near as bad as a lot of people think. Not sure I’d put him as a significantly better QB than Smith, but I would say he’s not significantly worse.

Similarity to Smith hard to avoid: 1st pick that is put in a terrible situation by his organization.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
If Smith is the kind of player that needs the coaches to give him special handling to build up confidence, then he does not deserve to be a NFL starter in the first place.
What's the mystery here?

Unless you are a proven Pro Bowler QB there will always be someone waiting to take your place. It's not like he said they will be sharing snaps with he first team.

Grasping at straws.
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Mar 15, 2010 at 1:41 PM ]
The only thing I don't want to see is splitting reps since I believe that's detrimental to not only the QBs but to your entire offense last year.

I thought quite a few of Smith's pass were off not because he wasn't accurate but because the timing wasn't there.

My point being is timing is so crucial that you can't waste reps and you should go into the offseason with a guy that you feel is your starter and have him get all the first team reps and if his backup outplays him than he gets promoted and gets all the 1st team reps and the other guy gets all the 2nd team reps.

So I think it'll be Smith is the starter until he's not mentality this offseason.
Singletary is such a manipulative b*****d.
It's just talk. Unless Carr looks like the second coming of Steve Young, I expect Smith to start the season.
We have a group of posters on this site who adopt each new face as their darling heart-throb. First it was JTO, then it was Hill, then it was Davis, now it is Carr. Why can't these people just wait until someone has proven beyond doubt that they are the answer? With very little to go on, there are some who cannot understand why Davis isn't the declared starter. With Carr having a meager history, how can they believe that Carr should beat out Smith? They could be right, but more likely they live in a dream world. Hope and change.

To maximize Alex's opportunity to improve this year, he is going to need maximum reps with the starters all through TC and beyond. I have often heard that Alex was the hardest worker on the team, so I have trouble relating to the argument that Carr's presence is needed to "push" him.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
It's just talk. Unless Carr looks like the second coming of Steve Young, I expect Smith to start the season.

look what happened with JTO
what do you expect singletary to say to a QB?

"you have no chance of starting for this team and we won't pay attention if you show that you have starter potential....so are you interested in what i have to offer?"
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

Yeah, and look what happened during the season because of JTO. After all that consistency talk and getting rid of Shaun Hill, I see no way Carr gets the nod unless he plays lights out, and Smith regresses to his rookie season form.
  • ImaMod
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Also, this is Alex's make or break year (contract wise too).

If Alex breaks then I believe management will let him go and not resign him.

Carr signed a 2 year contract. So if Alex does not live up to the expectations and is let go we're only left with Carr and Nate Davis in 2011. I believe management brought in Carr to also fill the possible void (whether to compete as a starter or as backup) in 2011 if Alex is not brought back.

Damn our QB situation is gonna be a huuuuge ? if Alex doesnt have a good year
Originally posted by TeambyTheBay:

Yeah, and look what happened during the season because of JTO. After all that consistency talk and getting rid of Shaun Hill, I see no way Carr gets the nod unless he plays lights out, and Smith regresses to his rookie season form.

Trust me, i'd rather go in with Smith also. Carr sucks, always has been. He's better than Noddle though.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
what do you expect singletary to say to a QB?

"you have no chance of starting for this team and we won't pay attention if you show that you have starter potential....so are you interested in what i have to offer?"

Not really - For example, it's understood if any QB is signed by the Colts, we know what his role will be. Yes, that's an extreme example, but I think you have to understand why Carr came to San Francisco despite being wooed by a number of teams; he doesn't want to be a back-up forever.

That being said - he goes to the team that has (1) some of the most up-and-coming talent on offense (and defense) and (2) has a starting QB position to which he can challenge. Think Miami Dolphins under Jay Feidler.

-------------------------

It's a big priority for Carr to change the perception of him around the NFL. After all, if you say the name "David Carr," the first thing that comes to most people's minds is "bust." Carr said he could have remained with the New York Giants, but he wanted to go out and challenge himself.

Carr said he is a much better player now than he was during his five seasons with the expansion Houston Texans because of experience and confidence.

--Also, Carr has spoken with veteran free-agent guard Chester Pitts, who is scheduled to visit the 49ers this week. The played together with the Texans. "He's solid," Carr said. "He'd be a great addition to these guys."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/carr-leaves-comfortable-gig-behind-eli-to-prove-himself.html
[ Edited by NinerGM on Mar 15, 2010 at 2:20 PM ]