There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

Originally posted by Method:
Originally posted by D_Niner:

Wasn't Alex benched in 2005?

Didn't he win the QB competition in 2006? He wasn't benched that year either... Didn't Alex regress (QB rate stat) as 2006 went on.

One could just as easily argue that playing Alex Smith hurts the chemistry of our O as much as a QB competition does. Alex has only 16 wins in 40 starts over 5 years and he still has not led us to a winning season.

I'm not hating on Alex here; I'm just point out the flaw in your argument... Just as QB competitions have not produced winning teams for us, playing Alex Smith has not produced winning seasons for us. This argument, or even yours, do not prove that the poor O performance is due to QB competition or even the QB position. It's all speculation. As a matter of fact, several of us think it's more on the line than the QB...

D-Niner, I got a lot of love for you, but you didn't even respond to my points. lol

I have no idea what you're trying to say in this paragraph. Obviously our O-Line sucks, I agree, and you don't like Smith. That's fine. Not sure where you want me to specifically respond to.

No worries Meth. I'll clarify...

You first said "Alex has never been benched". I pointed out that he did in 2005.

Next you said "EACH TIME SOMEONE HAS "WON" THEY HAVE BEEN BENCHED". Alex won a QB competition in 2006 but he was not benched that year...

Then, using your own words, you said "What my entire premise has always been is that the QB Competition, and the way we run it, has never before given us the "right QB"". My point is that the QB competition is not the only constant. Alex being in all the competitions is also a constant. It's just as logical to say the problem is with Alex as it is to say its with the act of competition itself...

Now, let me set one thing strait, I don't hate Alex. I'm just playing devils advocate here (please read the bolded above again). Logic shows that placing blame on the competition is just as wrong as placing blame on Alex himself... As fans, we don't have all the details to say where exactly the blame lies...

You and I see this differently, and that's fine. I guess I see more of a problem with someone who, most on here perceive, will get hurt by a little competition then grow from it (and trust me, Carr is just a little competition).
[ Edited by D_Niner on Mar 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM ]

Didn't he win the QB competition in 2006? He wasn't benched that year either... Didn't Alex regress (QB rate stat) as 2006 went on.

One could just as easily argue that playing Alex Smith hurts the chemistry of our O as much as a QB competition does. Alex has only 16 wins in 40 starts over 5 years and he still has not led us to a winning season.

I'm not hating on Alex here; I'm just point out the flaw in your argument... Just as QB competitions have not produced winning teams for us, playing Alex Smith has not produced winning seasons for us. This argument, or even yours, do not prove that the poor O performance is due to QB competition or even the QB position. It's all speculation. As a matter of fact, several of us think it's more on the line than the QB...

D-Niner, I got a lot of love for you, but you didn't even respond to my points. lol

I have no idea what you're trying to say in this paragraph. Obviously our O-Line sucks, I agree, and you don't like Smith. That's fine. Not sure where you want me to specifically respond to.

You first said "Alex has never been benched". I pointed out that he did in 2005.

Next you said "EACH TIME SOMEONE HAS "WON" THEY HAVE BEEN BENCHED". Alex won a QB competition in 2006 but he was not benched that year...

Then, using your own words, you said "What my entire premise has always been is that the QB Competition, and the way we run it, has never before given us the "right QB"". My point is that the QB competition is not the only constant. Alex being in all the competitions is also a constant. It's just as logical to say the problem is with Alex as it is to say its with the act of competition itself...

Now, let me set one thing strait, I don't hate Alex. I'm just playing devils advocate here (please read the bolded above again). Logic shows that placing blame on the competition is just as wrong as placing blame on Alex himself... As fans, we don't have all the details to say where exactly the blame lies...

You and I see this differently, and that's fine. I guess I see more of a problem with someone who, most on here perceive, will get hurt by a little competition then grow from it (and trust me, Carr is just a little competition).

ahh I get your point. Of course I don't necessarily agree.

What I do agree with is that signing David Carr was a f**king joke. Lol
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Which was the reason why McCloughan was let go!!!!

I'm kidding, no one knows the reason right now.
Regardless of Alex being pushed through the grinder, the fact he's even being given a chance to compete up to this point shows just how incompetent and retarded our front-office might possibly be. It doesn't take a genius to know Alex Smith doesn't have what it takes to be a grade A QB in the NFL.

Alex Smith's composure/mechanics are still mediocre, and some of it cannot be fixed. This kid should have been a grief counselor after college, not a football player. He's full of heart, but he has no swagger to be a leader in today's NFL.

But the most worrisome trait about Smith is not his ailing mechanics, but the fact that he never communicates with his o-linemen or WRs on game day the way guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Philip Rivers do. Alex shows the type of timid immaturity for preparation that Carr himself had referred to within his time in Houston.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 19, 2010 at 12:28 AM ]
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Which was the reason why McCloughan was let go!!!!

I'm kidding, no one knows the reason right now.

LOL... I thought he was caught sleeping with Jed's Girlfriend...
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Regardless of Alex being pushed through the grinder, the fact he's even being given a chance to compete up to this point shows just how incompetent and retarded our front-office might possibly be. It doesn't take a genius to know Alex Smith doesn't have what it takes to be a grade A QB in the NFL.

Alex Smith's composure/mechanics are still mediocre, and some of it cannot be fixed. This kid should have been a grief counselor after college, not a football player. He's full of heart, but he has no swagger to be a leader in today's NFL.

But the most worrisome trait about Smith is not his ailing mechanics, but the fact that he never communicates with his o-linemen or WRs on game day the way guys like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Philip Rivers do. Alex shows the type of timid immaturity for preparation that Carr himself had referred to within his time in Houston.

He doesn't need to be a "grade A QB" in order for the 49ers to be successful, improve on last year's improvement and they will get to the playoffs
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Super5:

He doesn't need to be a "grade A QB" in order for the 49ers to be successful, improve on last year's improvement and they will get to the playoffs

No Smith doesn't need to be a "Grade A QB" in order for the 9ers to be successful. But its something you should expect from your #1 overall pick, you don't draft a QB #1 overall to be a game manager.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by Super5:

No Smith doesn't need to be a "Grade A QB" in order for the 9ers to be successful. But its something you should expect from your #1 overall pick, you don't draft a QB #1 overall to be a game manager.

That was Shaun Hill who has since departed.

What I expect from #1 Smith this year is to light it up and help get the 49ers to the playoffs

go Niners
There is a QB competition EVERY year that you don't have a bonafied starter like Brady, Brees, Mannings, Rivers etc. on your roster. Essentially it's Smiths job to lose and Carr will have to take it if he wants to start.

I thought Alex got hurt in 2005? Then came back a couple weeks later?
Originally posted by WINiner:
There is a QB competition EVERY year that you don't have a bonafied starter like Brady, Brees, Mannings, Rivers etc. on your roster. Essentially it's Smiths job to lose and Carr will have to take it if he wants to start.

Would be nice to go into a season with one guy getting pretty much all the reps with the first team offense. Hopefully Smith can get that.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Its David Carr! Do you guys think that he is all of the sudden going to become a good QB? Up to this point, he has never done anything as a QB. And if the coaching staff believes that David Carr will lead our team to victory, we are in deep, deep trouble. I know Alex Smith is not a great QB, but is he bad enough to lose his position to David friggen Carr!?

that's why on just continuity alone, smith should be starter. I laugh when people give Carr's stats or see smith play. And I can say yup. See. Smith looked better then carr has in 10 games than Carr for a whole season.

That's why I say, barring injury if Carr ever starts this season, we"ll be sitting home watchin the playoffs again.
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

Would be nice to go into a season with one guy getting pretty much all the reps with the first team offense. Hopefully Smith can get that.

WORD! A competition will only hinder the offense IMO.
Does Raye even know what kind of offense he's gonna run? Is this team a wide open spread/shotgun team or are they a grind it out "cloud of dust" team?
The last thing this team needs is another competition for starting QB.
[ Edited by AKfanster on Mar 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM ]
Originally posted by AKfanster:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:

WORD! A competition will only hinder the offense IMO.
Does Raye even know what kind of offense he's gonna run? Is this team a wide open spread/shotgun team or are they a grind it out "cloud of dust" team?
The last thing this team needs is another competition for starting QB.

We havent got the receivers to effectively run the spread formation. Only 2 of our guys are any good (Vernon and Crabs).