There are 212 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

So There WILL Be A QB Competition This Year

I know that many of you have stated we shouldn't have one, and to a certain extent I agree. Smith can't help but look over his shoulder especially with this revelation from Carr:

"I want my actions to matter," Carr said Monday. "For me I got the right answer from him that 'you can go out and compete and, yeah, we're going to pay attention to what you do.' After that, I was good. That's all I wanted to hear. Now it's just hard work."

http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2010/03/carr-got-right-answer-when-asked-if-actions-will-matter.html

So will this be a return to what we've seen where if Smith makes a few mistakes, Carr is waiting in the wings? Has Alex done enough to be the designated starter? I know you have to compete for your job every day, but again does this imbue the starter with confidence if the team doesn't have complete confidence in him as the starter?

Your thoughts!
If David Carr is going to challenge our starting qb for his position, then we are in deep trouble if our qb cant beat him out.
My guess? It will be similar to last year. It will be Smith's job to lose as it was Hill's last year. They will most likely say okay, your the starter, but if Smith really looks aweful in preseason and TC, while Carr looks substantially better, then they would give him the start. If Smith does "okay" in TC and preseason, he will most likely be the starter.

It would take some serious shining by Carr to become the starter, as it would have taken Smith last year... They are basically saying Smith better be careful of his mistakes and don't take his starting gig too lightly. I do not understand those that do not him "looking over his shoudler". If he can't take a little pressure, he needs to get lost anyway...
[ Edited by SJniner7 on Mar 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM ]
If it's an open (fair) competition. I could see Carr winning. I expect this to be a Smith's job-to-lose type of competition though...
[ Edited by D_Niner on Mar 15, 2010 at 1:01 PM ]
To me that says Alex is the starter but the they will be keeping an eye on Carr and if he completely outplays Alex then he may get a chance. It sounds to me though that he is gonna have to be really impressive
It's a really interesting interview. He doesn't view himself as "the back-up". I understand the politics of what's being said, but possible added instability to an unstable position?

I know it's Alex's to lose, but does this split your locker room if one starts to look better in camp than the other?
on a 8-8 team...every player is looking over his shoulder.

Smiths does not have a "go win the game" history to fall back on.

Its not like he can play bad and you know come crunch time he will pull it together.

does not matter what the coaches say...SMITH is going to be looking over his shoulder.

Smith has to be the best week in and week out , there is no more excuses left for him. The coaches dont have a "free ride" to throw games to help developing him.
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It's a really interesting interview. He doesn't view himself as "the back-up". I understand the politics of what's being said, but possible added instability to an unstable position?

I know it's Alex's to lose, but does this split your locker room if one starts to look better in camp than the other?

If Alex looks better, then No...

If David looks better or really connects with one or two key guys, then it's possible...
Its David Carr! Do you guys think that he is all of the sudden going to become a good QB? Up to this point, he has never done anything as a QB. And if the coaching staff believes that David Carr will lead our team to victory, we are in deep, deep trouble. I know Alex Smith is not a great QB, but is he bad enough to lose his position to David friggen Carr!?
What you guys are missing is that in a true competition, the qb's would split snaps with the first team. That was the situation last year. From what the coaches are saying, it sounds like they plan on working on getting ALEX in sync with everyone on offense. Having said that, Alex may or may not be on a short leash. We'll probably have to wait till preseason games before we get any real competition. And you can bank on him starting at least the first couple of preseason games. I think it would take a regression (which I think is unlikely with continuity, crabs, etc...) for Carr to be even in the running for starter. And if he does regress, he deserves to be beched. This is it for him with the niners, make or break.

Oh, and F the cowboys.
Also, this is Alex's make or break year (contract wise too).

If Alex breaks then I believe management will let him go and not resign him.

Carr signed a 2 year contract. So if Alex does not live up to the expectations and is let go we're only left with Carr and Nate Davis in 2011. I believe management brought in Carr to also fill the possible void (whether to compete as a starter or as backup) in 2011 if Alex is not brought back.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Its David Carr! Do you guys think that he is all of the sudden going to become a good QB? Up to this point, he has never done anything as a QB. And if the coaching staff believes that David Carr will lead our team to victory, we are in deep, deep trouble. I know Alex Smith is not a great QB, but is he bad enough to lose his position to David friggen Carr!?

Have you ever watched Alex Smith play???

I don't expect Carr to be a great player, I just think he's played better than Alex while David was on a worse team... I say we all should hope they both improve so we can have a serviceable starter and backup.
I was really hoping this year that there would be no competition with Alex so when he goes out and plays the way he always has....below average....that their would be no excuses. now Carr is the new excuse. well he didn't get a fair shot in camp, etc. etc.

and then when Carr plays below average like he has his whole career we can start all over again with the excuses, its his first year, lets give him a few more years. yada yada.
Originally posted by 9er2631:
I was really hoping this year that there would be no competition with Alex so when he goes out and plays the way he always has....below average....that their would be no excuses. now Carr is the new excuse. well he didn't get a fair shot in camp, etc. etc.

and then when Carr plays below average like he has his whole career we can start all over again with the excuses, its his first year, lets give him a few more years. yada yada.

What the heck are you talking about? Singletary confirmed already that Smith would be the starter going into the season and NEVER said there would be a QB competition in training camp.

Smith will start the season and if he doesn't improve his play, Carr will step in and play. If Carr doesn't play well, then Davis probably. If nobody plays well, then the Niners are in deep trouble going into the future. That is the way football has always gone, and will go, unless you have Peyton Manning or a franchise QB.

No one said Smith was the franchise QB.