There are 138 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crash Course for Nate Davis?

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Nate Davis won't be on this team in 3 years and people won't even remember his name.

Thanks coach.
Originally posted by Niners99:
this board is unbelievable.

Nate Davis plays decent in the PRESEASON, against 3rd string players, and everyone has him waiting in the wings to be the next star QB.

for all we know he sucks.

I don't get this obsession with Nate Davis at all. He's a 5th round draft pick and here in the Zone you would think he is the second coming of John Elway. Does anybody really think if the Niner coaches thought he was as great as everyone here thinks he is, and he was going to win us 4 championships like Joe he wouldn't be on the field? Their jobs depend on winning games. Nate may be fine someday but he needs to hold a clip board for a while.
His time will come, Alex will be replaced by game 6 next season. Thats if he's not replaced in the offseason.
Originally posted by jimbagg:
Suppose that you were the coach responsible for getting Nate Davis up-to-speed and on the field as the Niner starting QB as soon as possible.

What would you be doing with Nate right now?

I ask the question because it seems to me that the club is being less than urgent in its efforts to develop Davis. Being an NFL QB is a 12 months/year job, yet we hear nothing about Davis being "fast-tracked". Only a few rumors about maybe working out with McNabb for a week or so at some performance center, with no Niner coaches involved. Weak!

Why isn't this guy being coached-up on a daily basis? Why isn't he "rooming" with Mike Johnson?

I would love it if Smith comes out and has a dominating, breakthrough year in 2010. I just don't expect it. I want to see the club's investment in Davis to be pressed with a real sense of urgency, so that maybe, just maybe, Davis is ready to challenge for a starting job by TC in 2011, and maybe, just maybe, Davis could actually contribute something in 2010, in the event of injury, etc.

I don't feel this way about any other position player, just young QB's who need development. Why not some out of the box thinking? Since NFLE is dead, why not take a page from soccer, and "loan" Davis to a CFL team, with Niner supervision, so that he can get some pro PT?

When can we expect the club to have the same amount of urgency about Davis' rapid development, that the club has about the June ballot initiative in Santa Clara for the new stadium?

I hate wasting time in the off-season, when there really should be no off-season for QB development.

Maybe because there are probably 40+ guys who may actually see the field as starters or backups during the regular season. Their preperation is a tad more important.

JQ
Originally posted by dbdublin:
Originally posted by Niners99:
this board is unbelievable.

Nate Davis plays decent in the PRESEASON, against 3rd string players, and everyone has him waiting in the wings to be the next star QB.

for all we know he sucks.

I don't get this obsession with Nate Davis at all. He's a 5th round draft pick and here in the Zone you would think he is the second coming of John Elway. Does anybody really think if the Niner coaches thought he was as great as everyone here thinks he is, and he was going to win us 4 championships like Joe he wouldn't be on the field? Their jobs depend on winning games. Nate may be fine someday but he needs to hold a clip board for a while.

This
Why are u in such a rush? Just say it u don't think alex can be our starter. I see the potential in Nate but don't u think that we should put all our efforts in developing Alex. Honestly the guy ( Alex) hasn't been given an actual shot to be sucessful in this league. Let Nate win the second string over Shaun (which he will) and then go from there.
He's a fifth round pick so that's not exactly what I consider a serious investment there.

The things he can do in the offseason are things he can and will probably do. I'm sure he'll work on his mechanics, study film, keep in shape, and throw a lot of balls.

Look all we've seen of the guy is that his college career and his preseason work which isn't a whole lot. I trust the guys who actually see him and work with him day in and day out to be able to judge his skills at QB. Singletary doesn't strike me as the guy that plays favorites at the QB position and would have no problem putting Davis in there if Davis was the best man for the job.

The last thing this team needs is a QB competition for starting QB because that's taking away critical reps from your starter and judging from the offensive play last year we need all the reps we can get.

The QB competition this year should be for 2nd string. I mean let Nate climb up the old fashioned way and have him duke it out with Hill for the 2nd spot. If he earns that spot than maybe you get a chance to see him during the season in case of injury or poor play. If he doesn't get a chance to go in than you evaluate how he handled the 2nd team over the course of the year and you evaluate how Smith did than in 2011 you think about opening up the QB competition or naming him the starter outright.

If Davis is starting NFL QB material than he'll rise to the top to become one if he's not than he'll sink. He was a 5th round pick so he was always intended to be a roll of the dice guy anyhow.