LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 346 users in the forums

Crash Course for Nate Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I'm just wondering how the f**k you know that Nate Davis isn't training?
Originally posted by phatbutskinny:
I'm just wondering how the f**k you know that Nate Davis isn't training?

I demand a live offseason web-cam in every meeting room and practice field! We have a right to know!
Davis needs to learn each play by actually running it or watching it over and over on film. He has a learning disability. The first thing he needs to do is learn a large and complicated playbook. Onece he has the plays down he will improve. Gore had a one on one tutor who helped him learn the playbook. Ditto for Davis. I can remember Davis's 1st year when Smith had to tell him where to line up on almost every play.
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
The time for crash-coursing Nate Davis (and I'm all for it!) was last season, when they could have at least gotten him on the field for a few plays. Several other teams in the league did this with rookie QBs, but not the 49ers.

The reason he's not being coached up in the offseason has to do with NFL rules which limit active coaching and practice sessions to OTA's, mini-camps, and of course training camp. All these are regulated with respect to their dates and length.

What I'd like to see is, Nate getting a good share of the work in training camp, and being allowed to compete for the starting job with whoever else is on the roster at the position. You know, competition. REAL competition, not some rigged "we already know who our starter is" farce like the 49ers have had in recent years. I've gotten a little cynical so I don't really expect this, but that's what I'd like to see.

i don't know what year you remember that we had "our guy" but it's been qb competitions the last 2 years and we haven't had "our guy" since jeff garcia. davis hasn't done crap but look good in a youtube video and done well against third stringers. cut the crap.
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Well, what the Ball State coaches did with him in his freshman year worked, but would never fly in the NFL.

The starting QB was a senior who, while not great, was a very solid QB, especially considering what BSU normally had, and went into the season as one of, if not the, top QBs in the nation for completion percentage. But early in the season, Brady Hoke (head coach) would put Nate Davis in for a series or two each game, in certain situations. At first I, and many other Ball State fans, were sitting there thinking "What the hell is the coach thinking?" I mean, there were a couple of games where we were winning, and it had been a long time since Ball State had won many games, and the coach would pull out Lynch to put in this freshman? Serious WTF thinking going on in the stadium. But it only took a few games to realize that Nate Davis was going to be very, very good. Sure, he was making freshman mistakes occasionally. But not many, and fewer every game. Over the coarse of the season, he got more series to lead the team, and his play improved every game until he eventually took over the starting job all together. One of his first full games was against an undefeated Michigan team in the Big House. In the first half, it looked like it was going to be ugly, but they hung in there, and late in the fourth quarter, down by only eight to the #1 team in the nation, he led them to goal to go. They weren't able to get the touchdown (I still say the receiver was mugged on his last pass into the end zone, but no flag) but he showed he was not intimidated and could play with the big boys.

You could literally see him growing every single game. Both QBs ended the season tied with the single season TD record for Ball State, which he then shattered the next year. But I can't imagine a team in the NFL doing that with their QBs. I doubt it would work well even if a team tried it. You'd have to have a special kind of person as the starting QB that could handle that mentally. In college, it's playing time you're sharing. In the pros, you're talking about a paycheck. Also, in this case, you would literally be telling Alex Smith that his days are numbered, and if "being thrown to the wolves" ruined him, imagine what that would do.

• aiiyiiyiii
  • Info N/A
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
i don't know what year you remember that we had "our guy" but it's been qb competitions the last 2 years and we haven't had "our guy" since jeff garcia. davis hasn't done crap but look good in a youtube video and done well against third stringers. cut the crap.

lol, the qb competitions. Almost forgot about those.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
The time for crash-coursing Nate Davis (and I'm all for it!) was last season, when they could have at least gotten him on the field for a few plays. Several other teams in the league did this with rookie QBs, but not the 49ers.

The reason he's not being coached up in the offseason has to do with NFL rules which limit active coaching and practice sessions to OTA's, mini-camps, and of course training camp. All these are regulated with respect to their dates and length.

What I'd like to see is, Nate getting a good share of the work in training camp, and being allowed to compete for the starting job with whoever else is on the roster at the position. You know, competition. REAL competition, not some rigged "we already know who our starter is" farce like the 49ers have had in recent years. I've gotten a little cynical so I don't really expect this, but that's what I'd like to see.

That's all he has really gotten a chance to do. All some of us are saying is that he was an OUTSTANDING college player, threw for a ton of yards and it is time for him to get some some reps in because he has shown nothing but quality play, regardless of who he played against.
I wonder how many of the people, who bash the OP, are over in the pro Smith threads hanging on his balls? Hmmmmmm.....
Originally posted by BigDaddy:
I wonder how many of the people, who bash the OP, are over in the pro Smith threads hanging on his balls? Hmmmmmm.....

Alex Smiths balls are strong, i have been hanging on them since 05 and im 250 lbs
Originally posted by valrod33:

Alex Smiths balls are strong, i have been hanging on them since 05 and im 250 lbs

Now that's funny, I don't care which side of the QB fence you're on. Bravo.

Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Originally posted by mrgneissguy:
Well, what the Ball State coaches did with him in his freshman year worked, but would never fly in the NFL.

The starting QB was a senior who, while not great, was a very solid QB, especially considering what BSU normally had, and went into the season as one of, if not the, top QBs in the nation for completion percentage. But early in the season, Brady Hoke (head coach) would put Nate Davis in for a series or two each game, in certain situations. At first I, and many other Ball State fans, were sitting there thinking "What the hell is the coach thinking?" I mean, there were a couple of games where we were winning, and it had been a long time since Ball State had won many games, and the coach would pull out Lynch to put in this freshman? Serious WTF thinking going on in the stadium. But it only took a few games to realize that Nate Davis was going to be very, very good. Sure, he was making freshman mistakes occasionally. But not many, and fewer every game. Over the coarse of the season, he got more series to lead the team, and his play improved every game until he eventually took over the starting job all together. One of his first full games was against an undefeated Michigan team in the Big House. In the first half, it looked like it was going to be ugly, but they hung in there, and late in the fourth quarter, down by only eight to the #1 team in the nation, he led them to goal to go. They weren't able to get the touchdown (I still say the receiver was mugged on his last pass into the end zone, but no flag) but he showed he was not intimidated and could play with the big boys.

You could literally see him growing every single game. Both QBs ended the season tied with the single season TD record for Ball State, which he then shattered the next year. But I can't imagine a team in the NFL doing that with their QBs. I doubt it would work well even if a team tried it. You'd have to have a special kind of person as the starting QB that could handle that mentally. In college, it's playing time you're sharing. In the pros, you're talking about a paycheck. Also, in this case, you would literally be telling Alex Smith that his days are numbered, and if "being thrown to the wolves" ruined him, imagine what that would do.

Walsh did this with Montana his rookie season. He picked his moments and put Joe into the lineup:

"Walsh’s offense emphasized short or middle passes, multiple formations, and motions. It was a complicated system, one that required a disciplined disciple to implement. Walsh knew that his prized rookie was up to the task, but was careful not to ruin his confidence by subjecting the young quarterback to untenable circumstances. When Montana did play in his rookie season and early in his second, it was in carefully selected situations. "We didn't want to throw him to the wolves," Walsh said. “We thought it was important to give him moments of success early, to build his confidence.” Midway through his second season, Walsh made the move and designated Joe the regular starter. He played well; completing 176 passes for 1,795 yards and 15 touchdowns. But it was only a small prelude of the successes that were to follow."
this place is pure comedy sometimes
  • aiiyiiyiii
  • Info N/A
the impure comedy is fun too
Originally posted by valrod33:

So you're the reason he's gotten so many balls batted down.
Nate Davis won't be on this team in 3 years and people won't even remember his name.
Share 49ersWebzone