There are 149 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Crash Course for Nate Davis?

Originally posted by jimbagg:
You're missing the point. Why wait until late July to begin re-coaching Davis on a daily basis? Why waste the next 5 months?

I mentioned the CFL as a possible developmental opportunity, on a "loaner basis", as is done with soccer players all the time. Maybe there is a QB guru who runs a special QB development camp during the off-season (example: Pete Newell's Big Man camp in basketball)? Maybe Mike Johnson should be running that camp. Just sayin......

Being content with trucking along with the same ol' NFL preparation schedule is NOT going to get the Niners back on track QUICKLY. Isn't it reasonable to question why the club isn't being innovative in its QB development program? I don't pretend to know all the answers or alternatives (I don't work in the NFL), but I do know enough to ask the question that more fans should also be asking.

Damn, I'm tired of losing! Let's get this QB development program in gear! NOW!

Two points in response:

1. Are you at the Niner facility in Santa Clara everyday? Do you know how often Nate Davis is there, working out, watching film, studying up? I'd be very surprised if N. Davis doesn't fully participate in the offseason conditioning program, plus all the film study he can handle during the offseason--but I'm only guessing, cuz I'm not at or near HQ everyday either.

2. What is this "soccer" of which you speak?
this board is unbelievable.

Nate Davis plays decent in the PRESEASON, against 3rd string players, and everyone has him waiting in the wings to be the next star QB.

for all we know he sucks.
  • cupcheck
  • Info N/A
I saw Davis's wonderlic score from last years combine. 11. Just say'n
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

no we dont need a competition. that just makes the team worse.

Please use a smiley, otherwise someone might think you're serious!

He's right. We need a training camp where our starting QB gets all the reps and comes into the season as prepared as possible for once. Nate Davis was a project pick that the niners are giving plenty of time to develop. It's not like he's gonna come in and out play Alex at this point. Alex is gonna throw 25+ touchdowns in 2010 and probably 10ish interceptions. Davis is not gonna be ready to perform at that level for at least another year or two.
Originally posted by YuNGaCE:
i had a dream last night that nate davis was our starting qb and threw a game winning td. weird

I actually had a dream that Singletary said that he was going to try Nate Davis as a kick returner! Now that was weird!!!
Originally posted by thojess:
Originally posted by aiiyiiyiii:
Originally posted by NinerFan408:

no we dont need a competition. that just makes the team worse.

Please use a smiley, otherwise someone might think you're serious!

He's right. We need a training camp where our starting QB gets all the reps and comes into the season as prepared as possible for once. Nate Davis was a project pick that the niners are giving plenty of time to develop. It's not like he's gonna come in and out play Alex at this point. Alex is gonna throw 25+ touchdowns in 2010 and probably 10ish interceptions. Davis is not gonna be ready to perform at that level for at least another year or two.

See, I think that's the problem. They choose their starter, then hold this sham "competition" and the non-chosen ones hardly see any snaps. Remember when Shaun Hill ended up the starter, but had to do it without the benefit of practice snaps, because his "arm was sore." and he had to go public to say it really wasn't?

I just can't imagine a scenario where open, honest competition for jobs is bad for the team. If they don't allow it, then sure, Nate won't be ready to perform until his rookie contract is nearly over. Then, he'll go elsewhere and star for another team.

Do I think Nate can outperform Alex in a fair competition? I think there's a good chance of it. I'd like to see him have the chance to make it happen.

[ Edited by aiiyiiyiii on Feb 24, 2010 at 17:47:38 ]
Originally posted by Niners99:
this board is unbelievable.

Nate Davis plays decent in the PRESEASON, against 3rd string players, and everyone has him waiting in the wings to be the next star QB.

for all we know he sucks.

Its the webzone. What else would one expect?
I look forward to seeing him this preseason. He looked good enough last prseason to make me wonder if he could really be something in the NFL.
Isn't it completely up to the player in the off season?

Aren't OTA's COMPLETELY contolled by negotiated agreement?

He can come in to the facility voluntarily and workout/study film, but I don't believe the team can mandate anything.

If Davis approached the team and asked for a coach to show up at certain time(s), that's OK. May HE doesn't want formal one on one with the team?
All one has to do is look how the 49ers have handled quarterbacks since the York's took over & you have your answer. Look how the 49ers handled Alex Smith's development...and they were paying him a sh*tload of money.
Yeah spend all your time with the THIRD STRING QUARTERBACK instead of with starters or getting ready for the combine or preparing for free agency. The NFL has rules about practice(which i believe is stupid) which restricts off season training. Nate Davis will get his playing time in the preseason. Let him do well there again and maybe the 9ers will use resources on the practice squad QB.
people just come up with random crap to talk about to waste time i think. Nate Davis will not start for the niners...hopefully. if he is in a game next season something is seriously wrong...
He may be a good athlete but not enough to take on a starting position. if/when he is ready he will most likely be on another team.
Yeah, why spend any effort on Nate Davis, what's he ever done but play against preseason scrubs? The longer he doesn't get a fair chance, the longer people can hide behind this sort of logic. We don't want no QB controversy here, no sir. We paid good money for our #1 and we intend to make sure he earns it, even if he sucks rocks.
It is possible that Singletary and co. are sitting with their thumbs up their asses in regards to Nate Davis but I am inclined to doubt that. They had less need to play Nate in preseason last year and he played more then any rookie I ever recalled playing. This while a crucial contest for starter was being waged. I don't think Nate was being used as switch and bait for getting pressure off of Alex. If anything the team may know that Nate has all world talent if he is well schooled and they are grooming him well. I watched Nates every pass highlights and had he had good protection, I think he could have torn teams apart. I am not one to say a passing team is the way to go but having a good running team and a guy who can win a game with one throw is a real plus. I think Alex can play but the difference between Nate and Alex is vast and it isn't tools that one can acquire.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by jimbagg:
You're missing the point. Why wait until late July to begin re-coaching Davis on a daily basis? Why waste the next 5 months?

I mentioned the CFL as a possible developmental opportunity, on a "loaner basis", as is done with soccer players all the time. Maybe there is a QB guru who runs a special QB development camp during the off-season? Maybe Mike Johnson should be running that camp. Just sayin......

Being content with trucking along with the same ol' NFL preparation schedule is NOT going to get the Niners back on track QUICKLY. Isn't it reasonable to question why the club isn't being innovative in its QB development program?

Damn, I'm tired of losing! Let's get this QB development program in gear! NOW!