There are 104 users in the forums

is A. Franklin worth $7million for 1 year?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I like Flex's idea. My problem is we have 2 bad choices. Let him go or pay him more than he is worth, with just one yrs' production where he came thru. I like making him prove himself again for a yr before the big 3-4 yr contract. What i don't like is his lackluster play before this yr, and i hate to see us overpay AGAIN like we did with nate. He was good sure, but did he help us $65 mil worth? Ans: no, and that is tough to dispute. Same with Aubray...pay him, i guess, but if he plays like the $1Mil man, then cut him ASAP next yr.
Franchising him is the last resort...if they can't sign him to a longer term contract. My sense is they'll try very hard to get a contract done...it's in the team's and Franklin's best interests and would arguably have a lower cap impact (even though their may not be a cap this season). Abrayo was lost in Nolan's system...of constantly changing defenses. Once Singletary allowed Manusky to simplify the defense, he's shined. So, yeah, he'd be worth franchising if it comes to that, but I'm really hoping they get a longer term contract done soonest.
No but they will probably pay him.
Guys, you realize we have 52 million in cap space, and most likely we wont have a cap next year. So lets say we tag him for 7 Million dollars...we'd still have 45 MILLION DOLLARS IN CAP SPACE. 8 million of that cap goes towards our rookie pool..soo

52 MILLION IN CAP
-7 MILLION for the Franchise Tag
-8 million for rookie pool
-----------
37 MILLION DOLLARS TO SPEND ON F.A.!

so whats the complaining about? Pay the man the 7 million dollars, there is a good chance we go into the 2010 season with over 25 millon in cap space.

[ Edited by DaFaro49ers on Feb 13, 2010 at 01:12:12 ]
Originally posted by rapid4:
Too bad TDON drafted Rashaun Woods instead of Vince Wilfork

i always think of that when i see wilfork....worst draft i can remember
Originally posted by elguapo:

Not true! our CB spencer came from that draft and he was a stud. Donahue drafted spence with Spencer being one of a few people not invited into the COMBINE! Easily Donahues best decision, maybe his only good decision.
Guess putting the Franchise tag on him is better than signing him to a long term contract at this point. I worry that his play last year was due to it being a contract year and wanna see him repeat that again.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by 49ersRednGold:
Yes is he. He is a clog for our defense. He allows Willis to do what he does best and Willis knows how important Franklin is and has said so to the media. If you don't retain Franklin, Willis may not be too happy.

How many years has he been with the niners? what ever it is..this year(contract year) is the only year he showed up to play

goo point made. exactly. this is his first yr he has actually done something.hmm funny how it was his best yr...reminds me of a lot of players especially spencer. he had his best yr (& still to this day remains his best yr) when it was his contract yr, and got paid then what happened? he fell off the map until this past yr.
so i say no. tag him & maybe someone like denver will get him & we can pick up a solid vet like wilfork.
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Originally posted by elguapo:

Not true! our CB spencer came from that draft and he was a stud. Donahue drafted spence with Spencer being one of a few people not invited into the COMBINE! Easily Donahues best decision, maybe his only good decision.

your trippin man. spencer has had 2 good yrs with us! he never did s**t until his contract yr. up until then he was a nickel back. got paid! went MIA until this last yr. he's a decent cb, but not a stud!
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I think that would be a bad move to give him that kind of loot. PWillis would want upwards of $10-$12mill a year if you give AF that kind of contract franchised or not!
What other NT could we get for $5-$7million a year?

buddy how dare you put willis's name in with franklin's! apples & oranges!

Uh, hell yea pay the man. I'm actually quite surprised this is even a question in Niner Talk of all places. Imagine if the report was that we didn't want to franchise him and planned to let him walk. Then we'd hear (again, nonstop) about how the 'Dorks' are cheap and don't want to spend any money on quality players.

Anyhow, Franklin's salary is determined by market value (I believe the average of the five highest paid players at his position) so it's not like the front office is saying "here, have 7 million." And he already he'd like to stay in San Francisco, it's quite obvious that we want him to stay, so hopefully they're already working on a long term deal.

But if not, franchise him and see who's willing to trade.

Either way you slice it, we win here.
Originally posted by jrg:
Absolutely. He's the best DT in the game.

way to be positive! i never knew we had the best DT in the game?
  • delawareniner
  • Info N/A
Absoluty..for now. Frankilin really stepped his game up big time this year, but I feel that has a lot to do with being on the same defense as Patrick Willis. He makes everyone around him better.

SO..franchise him..BUT lets see if he gets better b/c he still has a way to go.

My biggest fear with Franklin is that he's one of these guys who played his best in his contract year and now will just fall off.
If your superstar MLB won't shut-up about how much he's loving the play of his DT, you keep him a year.

It's an uncapped year and we've got $7M, we don't have another DT of his caliber. He started to play well once Singletary made the defense simpler two years ago. At least keep him for 1 more year so we can find a suitable replacement if we need to.
It's not like we're giving him Haynesworth money for Haynesworth years.

It's a low-risk 1-year deal.

[ Edited by foreign49er on Feb 13, 2010 at 07:52:15 ]
Originally posted by DaFaro49ers:
Guys, you realize we have 52 million in cap space, and most likely we wont have a cap next year. So lets say we tag him for 7 Million dollars...we'd still have 45 MILLION DOLLARS IN CAP SPACE. 8 million of that cap goes towards our rookie pool..soo

52 MILLION IN CAP
-7 MILLION for the Franchise Tag
-8 million for rookie pool
-----------
37 MILLION DOLLARS TO SPEND ON F.A.!

so whats the complaining about? Pay the man the 7 million dollars, there is a good chance we go into the 2010 season with over 25 millon in cap space.

We still have to extend a few guys....and by guys I mean key guys a la Willis and Davis and a few more.
Share 49ersWebzone