LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 285 users in the forums

49ers Return to London 2013

Shop Find 49ers gear online
maybe ill make my way back to the land of bad weather crappy food and horrible teeth afterall
Im going to try to go, I've always wanted to go to England. See Austin powers and eat Cheerios.
Originally posted by NinerTeam:
Originally posted by Chief:
What are the other 7 away games?

At least we know one team we are playing, tell us the rest.

below:
Originally posted by Gore_21:
In case anyone is interested our schedule for next year:

Home:
Falcons, Panthers, Texans, Colts, NFC North (same place in division as us)
Cards, Seahawks, Rams

Road:
Saints, Bucs, Jaguars (London), Titans, NFC East (same place in division as us)
Cards, Seahawks, Rams
I don't like it...atleast the NFL is making this a away game...last time it was a home game for the Niners and we had more travel miles then the Broncos.. ...The NFL should make East coast teams travel to Europe...or atleast two teams from the same time zone...When the NFL had its game in Mexico they didn't ask any eastcoast teams to play in that one...it was two NFC west teams...13 hour plane trip compared to a 6 hour trip...not fair....just like when we had to play a Thanksgiving day game...and it was the first time that a westcoast team had to travel to the eastcoast to play on a short week...keep getting the short end IMO
Originally posted by Hitman49:
I don't like it...atleast the NFL is making this a away game...last time it was a home game for the Niners and we had more travel miles then the Broncos.. ...The NFL should make East coast teams travel to Europe...or atleast two teams from the same time zone...When the NFL had its game in Mexico they didn't ask any eastcoast teams to play in that one...it was two NFC west teams...13 hour plane trip compared to a 6 hour trip...not fair....just like when we had to play a Thanksgiving day game...and it was the first time that a westcoast team had to travel to the eastcoast to play on a short week...keep getting the short end IMO

I believe that the rule is that every team in the NFL has to play two games in London - one home game and another away game.
Least we dont lose a home game like last time
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
While this may be fun for the fans,it's a competitive disadvantage for the team. All that travel creates disruptions to the practice schedule, preparation routine, and body clock of the players. Why would you volunteer to cross 8 times zones to play a football game? How does this help the team to win?

By my count, there have been 8 international games scheduled by the NFL since 2005. Only 12 of 32 teams have participated. The Patriots and Buccaneers have each played overseas twice. The 49ers have played, or will play, 3 times (2005, 2010, 2013).
Originally posted by Lifer:
While this may be fun for the fans,it's a competitive disadvantage for the team. All that travel creates disruptions to the practice schedule, preparation routine, and body clock of the players. Why would you volunteer to cross 8 times zones to play a football game? How does this help the team to win?

By my count, there have been 8 international games scheduled by the NFL since 2005. Only 12 of 32 teams have participated. The Patriots and Buccaneers have each played overseas twice. The 49ers have played, or will play, 3 times (2005, 2010, 2013).

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The NFL is always looking for new ways to cash in ...I agree with you , these overseas games can be physically taxing on the teams , and plus factor in all the goddamn terrorism , I for one would rather keep the games here in the US
  • Jiks
The Jags?
All I care about is how this will affect the 49ers scheduling....

since they're chosen to do this again, at least give the Niners any or all of these considerations:

- have their opponent the week before be an east coast or southern team

- have that same game be on TNF

- give the Niners (and Jags) a BYE week after the London game

It helps the 49ers future.

The league is pushing for international teams. They want international interest. Jed is making sure the Niners are exposed often to get people more familiar. Combine that exposure with a team that is hot as the Niners have been since Harbaugh and company took over and you have a recipe for an expanding fan base.

Plus the Niners have always been open to international exposure. With the game next year we will tie the Cowboys for a total of 9 games on foreign soil.
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM ]
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
All I care about is how this will affect the 49ers scheduling....

since they're chosen to do this again, at least give the Niners any or all of these considerations:

- have their opponent the week before be an east coast or southern team

- have that same game be on TNF

- give the Niners (and Jags) a BYE week after the London game

i think the week 9 BYE helps a lot
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WINiner:

It helps the 49ers future.

The league is pushing for international teams. They want international interest. Jed is making sure the Niners are exposed often to get people more familiar. Combine that exposure with a team that is hot as the Niners have been since Harbaugh and company took over and you have a recipe for an expanding fan base.

Plus the Niners have always been open to international exposure. With the game next year we will tie the Cowboys for a total of 9 games on foreign soil.

I understand the marketing angle, but you've got to balance marketing with the best interests of the team. You don't want self-promotion at the expense of winning.

As far as I know, the Cowboys have never played a regular season game on foreign soil. Are you talking about pre-season? Jed can schedule all the pre-season games overseas that he wants. Those don't count against your record.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
In case anyone is interested our schedule for next year:

Home:
Falcons, Panthers, Texans, Colts, NFC North (same place in division as us)
Cards, Seahawks, Rams

Road:
Saints, Bucs, Jaguars (London), Titans, NFC East (same place in division as us)
Cards, Seahawks, Rams

Damn. I love that schedule. I know their is no way to project how good teams are going to be a year from now, but based on what I know today thats awesome that we get the Texans and Falcons at home. All the non division road teams look like a mess right now. Titties!
[ Edited by WhoGotItBetterThenUs on Oct 11, 2012 at 8:26 AM ]
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Least we dont lose a home game like last time

Second ! plus much better coaching and team.
Jags likely move to London in the future at some point i would guess
Share 49ersWebzone