Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by Super5:

this

~Ceadder
Originally posted by rigs49:
Is that he smokes way too much pot.

No, if anything, that would loosen him up. In my opinion, I believe he over-thinks the game. He's so afraid to make a mistake and can't relax. He needs to find a way to calm down and have fun!
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by kezar49er:
Originally posted by Super5:

this

~Ceadder

THIS!!
You criticize Smith for being too tight, afraid to make a mistake. Would you like him to make more mistakes?
Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by rigs49:
Is that he smokes way too much pot.

No, if anything, that would loosen him up. In my opinion, I believe he over-thinks the game. He's so afraid to make a mistake and can't relax. He needs to find a way to calm down and have fun!

How much is too much!?!?
Originally posted by WestCoast:
Originally posted by ninerforyears:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Too many OC's
Bad OL
Poor coaching
Lucky to come out in weak draft
System QB
Not good to begin with

Dude's a robot! Know football feelings at all!

a robot? i was thinking more cyborg than straight roboto

Manning is a Robot. Alex is more of a C3-PO.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Spoonerism:
I don't think anyone can convince me or narrow down any one problem with Alex Smith. He looked pretty good to me this year behind a very poor offensive line and receivers he didn't have much timing with. What stands out when I watch him is the wild throws or the rocket balls on short passes and the footwork on those throws. However, I also have to take into account that he was usually under pressure during these situations. The worst pass I saw him throw all year was the duck he laid up to Crabtree in the last game of the season. Other than that he looked light years ahead of where he was before getting injured.

So it looks like we'll have to wait and see how he functions behind a solid line and more reps with his receivers.

Usually under pressure???? its the NFL dude....
Alex is just not the guy, dont be suprised he gets replaced by the start of the 2010 season.
  • Joe49er4life
  • Info N/A
Alex is good the problem is he rarely has more than 2 seconds to make freakin decision but he does its generally a good one. at least based on this season..
Staring down his receivers when he learns not to do this he might have a shot at being a decent QB in this league until then we will continue to have doubts about him at least I will and I like him. Hopefully Raye and company will address this in camp this year......
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
....is that he played behind a bad o-line.

same as it was yesterday and same as it will be tomorrow.

• hopeforniners
  • Info N/A
The problem is that he has 0 football instincts.
If he hasnt practiced or seen the play occur before the way its presented during a game, he cant react.
He has no improvisation skills whatsoever.
On top of all that, he can be inaccurate. He is at best a backup QB that can serve well for a few games where the starter may be missing.

We should attempt to either draft a qb this year, if we feel N.Davis is not the one, or pick one up in trade or free agency.

Even if A.Smith does well next year, it will only be because he's had enough time to go through all the plays a bunch of times in the off-season. But thats only good enough for a few games and at most a season. Defensive coordinators will figure his tendencies and find ways around those plays which will lead him to have rather ineffective future games or seasons. This works in college only because the players are on the team for such a short amount of time.

We should start planning right now and find a true heir to the qb role - although I'm not sure Singletary has the foresight or the capability to choose one.
Originally posted by fly15:
I don't think anyone can convince me or narrow down any one problem with Alex Smith. He looked pretty good to me this year behind a very poor offensive line and receivers he didn't have much timing with. What stands out when I watch him is the wild throws or the rocket balls on short passes and the footwork on those throws. However, I also have to take into account that he was usually under pressure during these situations. The worst pass I saw him throw all year was the duck he laid up to Crabtree in the last game of the season. Other than that he looked light years ahead of where he was before getting injured.

So it looks like we'll have to wait and see how he functions behind a solid line and more reps with his receivers.

Alex is just not the guy, dont be suprised he gets replaced by the start of the 2010 season.

j/k? Hill or Davis? Or a rookie? Just wait and see what he does with a line and the pre season as starter.

He starts. Only an injury stops that
Originally posted by hopeforniners:
The problem is that he has 0 football instincts.
If he hasnt practiced or seen the play occur before the way its presented during a game, he cant react.
He has no improvisation skills whatsoever.
On top of all that, he can be inaccurate. He is at best a backup QB that can serve well for a few games where the starter may be missing.

We should attempt to either draft a qb this year, if we feel N.Davis is not the one, or pick one up in trade or free agency.

Even if A.Smith does well next year, it will only be because he's had enough time to go through all the plays a bunch of times in the off-season. But thats only good enough for a few games and at most a season. Defensive coordinators will figure his tendencies and find ways around those plays which will lead him to have rather ineffective future games or seasons. This works in college only because the players are on the team for such a short amount of time.

We should start planning right now and find a true heir to the qb role - although I'm not sure Singletary has the foresight or the capability to choose one.

This is quite ignorant of the facts, but hey, why let that stop you huh?
Originally posted by English:

j/k? Hill or Davis? Or a rookie? Just wait and see what he does with a line and the pre season as starter.

Or a trade. If available, we must trade a 1st for McNabb just to stop him from going to the Cards if Warner retires. Send Smith to Buffalo, maybe they will give us a 4th round pick
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by English:

Or a trade. If available, we must trade a 1st for McNabb just to stop him from going to the Cards if Warner retires. Send Smith to Buffalo, maybe they will give us a 4th round pick

McNabb is injured too easily, let him go to the Cards, he will be injured and out for the season after a game or two. He was a great QB in his prime, but he is past it now.
Share 49ersWebzone