There are 145 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Mike Moroski>>>Jeff Kemp>>>Joe Montana
Originally posted by Thizz415:

Yeah his defense was not the best but it sure wasn't horrible come playoff time were they did step up.

They stepped it up ONE YEAR, and guess what year that was? That's right, the year they won the Super Bowl. Other than that year, he has received no help from his defense.

LOL @ acting like they step it up every year only to have Manning piss it away.

And your name is awful. You should consider a new one. But that's just my advice, which I'm sure you will decline to utilize.

[ Edited by 49erRider on Jan 10, 2010 at 23:43:38 ]
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by 49erRider:

Don't fool yourself. The ONLY reason Brady is included is because of the Super Bowls, which everyone with half a football brain knows is a team effort that Brady would have never accomplished without the defenses and kicker at his disposal.

Is it his fault that he only needed 3 pts to win? It's SBs and being clutch with him. Even when Brady had no weapons he was still able to win. Then in '07 when he did have quality weapons, he killed the NFL.

Is it his fault he only needed 3 points to win? No. Is it because of him that he only needed 3 points to win? No.

There's something called a defense that was responsible for that.

Don't fool yourself. The ONLY reason Brady is included is because of the Super Bowls, which everyone with half a football brain knows is a team effort that Brady would have never accomplished without the defenses and kicker at his disposal.

Is it his fault that he only needed 3 pts to win? It's SBs and being clutch with him. Even when Brady had no weapons he was still able to win. Then in '07 when he did have quality weapons, he killed the NFL.

Is it his fault he only needed 3 points to win? No. Is it because of him that he only needed 3 points to win? No.

Yup, just like every team there should have. My point is the year Manning did have the D, it was them, not him that carried the team. He turned it down as per usual. Even in the SB, it was Addai and Rhodes who were the work horses until Manning woke up in the second half.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Jan 10, 2010 at 23:54:20 ]
Actually, I take it back. Manning didn't even wake up. Looking at his stats, he had a very Alex Smithish day. 25 of 38 for 247 passing yards with one touchdown and one interception, that's hardly MVP like.

[ Edited by blunt_probe on Jan 10, 2010 at 23:59:09 ]
Originally posted by Thizz415:

Yeah his defense was not the best but it sure wasn't horrible come playoff time were they did step up.

They stepped it up ONE YEAR, and guess what year that was? That's right, the year they won the Super Bowl. Other than that year, he has received no help from his defense.

LOL @ acting like they step it up every year only to have Manning piss it away.

And your name is awful. You should consider a new one. But that's just my advice, which I'm sure you will decline to utilize.

His defense was NEVER HORRIBLE, since 2002 his defense has been outside of the top 11 in 3 of those years. He hasn't done much either to help his defense. Like i've said, come post season manning is not better than montana and what does my username have to do with anything related to this discussion.
Montana had his bad games as well, but overall I think he was still the most impressive of both Brady and Manning in the playoffs.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that people rate Manning better than he really is. Especially with all the hoopla over how he calls his own plays and throws his hands up in the air at the line when he audibles and makes a big show out of it when he's really not doing anything special. He's a great quarterback but I've seen many times when he's been flustered and had a case of happy feet, especially during the playoffs.

I wonder how his stats would look had he played against some of the better defenses of Montana's era. I'm sure he'd still be good, but doubt he'd make it look as easy as he has during his career. I've heard some argue that if you put Peyton on Montana's teams then the Niners might have even more rings. I'd bet that if you put Montana on Peyton's teams they'd have at least one more Super Bowl by now.

But It's all speculation at the end of the day. Who the f**k knows. However, if I had to choose one quarterback to win a championship game for me I trust Montana over Manning every time.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

did anyone see the postgame graphic of the most all time playoff TD passes?

Montana has the most, but Brett Favre is only 6 behind him. hopefully the Vikings get knocked out early so Favre doesnt catch him.

but whats crazy is, Favre, after playing a million years, and going to the playoffs on a yearly basis, STILL doesnt have the total of playoff TD passes that Montana accomplished in ALOT less time.
Coach for Brady = Cheater

Coach for Montana = God

Montana has God like status, Brady is only as good as his coaches cheating

Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

you were 6 years old when he stopped playing for the 49ers

you have one hell of a memory
Montana vs. Brady is an absolute joke and whoever even questions if brady is as good or better is a joke too. There was one stat that they showed yesterday that proves my point.

In the second half i believe he threw to edelman for like 15 yards and then ran for 5.

A stat showed up that is the first playoff game in the last three including the superbowl that Brady has completed a pass over 20 yards.

C'mon, Brady does s**t in the playoff he always has and always will. Puts pressure on brady and he sucks, he is not at the level of Montana or any other of the greats.

Put pressure on the greats and they find a way to get rid of it either throwing it away or most of the time scrambling for a gain or finding a receiver with guys in their face.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

4 Super Bowls has something to do with the team you are on. The biggest myth in the world is that it's all the QB. And people right here on this very WZ believe that.

Montana had Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, Fred Dean, Jerry Rice just to name a short few. It was pre salary cap era and nobody was as big of a spender as Eddie D. The 49ers fieled the best O Lines and best defenses year in and year out. And they had outstanding WR's, TE's and good special teams.

Montana didn't do that by himself. In fact in the salary cap era my bet would be he wouldn't win 4 times. Maybe 1 or 2.
What a load of crock. You guys make it sound like Manning has nothing and isn't playing in a more pass friendly era. The real reason everyone says Montana is because of how clutch he was. Ask yourself this. One drive to win it at all. Who do you choose: Manning or Montana? /discussion

He doesn't have as much as Montana had. Not even close.

People on this site have idolized and glorified Montana because it is a 49ers fan site. He is envied here. But they fail to take into account the POWERHOUSE teams he was on year in and year out over the course of his career.

So, he doesn't have nothing which is my point. To be considered the G.O.A.T in my eyes, the most important attribute is how clutch one is. Manning is a consistent choker in that department. Even the year they won it all, it was the D, not him that carried the team. Hell, he nearly blew it against the Chiefs. He's a glorified Marino with a ring.

Dude...I can't believe you just wrote that.

Really. Do you know why? Because Marino and Manning play the same "antiquated" audible system.

Manning is not awful...and right now, he's the better quarterback when compared to Brady. He is smarter, he has a better arm, and is the coach of his offense. Make no mistake...every player on the offensive side of the ball knows who they have to answer to, and it isn't Jim Caldwell. There is a reason that the Colts win, and its Peyton Manning. There is a reason why the Patriots win...and his name is Wes Welker.

While we're on the subject, Marino was great, too. I'd say he was better than Elway...only because Elway's two rings were gift wrapped by Terrel Davis, and Marino never had a running back in all of his years under center.

That stated, none of the above mentioned QBs can hold a candle to Montana in his prime.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
I never let this debate enter my mind....Joe is god

A co-worker of mine is now demanding (the Partiots) dump Tom Brady.