LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After watching this, there will be no doubt who was the best. Joe Montana had a game for the ages in Superbowl 19. There is no SB performance by Brady that even comes close. Brady wishes he could play like Montana did in this game.

Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
Originally posted by midrdan:

. . .
3. He lost a super bowl. To a team quarterbacked by Eli Manning.
I guess QB's have never lost big games? Montana lost an NFC Title Game to Jeff Hostetler for christ sake.
. . .

And quite simply folks, THAT'S why R. Craig will NEVER belong in the HOF!!
In my mind, Tom Brady is the only QB close to Montana, but Brady's having a rough time in big games lately. Montana brought the team through a transition period between the 2nd and 3rd Superbowls and stayed on top. Brady has struggled more with his team's transition... but I think he'll turn it around and you'll see the Pats win a title or two more.

Still, I think that's evidence enough to give the nod to Montana, who never lost a Superbowl. Brady will have to get to 5-1 to match Montana's 4-0 at this point before we can reopen this debate.

And don't get me started on Manning... he's gotta get past Elway and Unitas on my list yet.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
It's simple really:

When the oline fails, the qb fails.

tell that to steve young..
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:

. . .
3. He lost a super bowl. To a team quarterbacked by Eli Manning.
I guess QB's have never lost big games? Montana lost an NFC Title Game to Jeff Hostetler for christ sake.
. . .

And quite simply folks, THAT'S why R. Craig will NEVER belong in the HOF!!

The New York Giants ala Parcells were a great team. The eras were different - in the 80s the Giants were one of 4 teams that perennially challenged for the NFC title. They had arguably the greatest defensive player in NFL history and were coached by two future HOF coaches. Joe was knocked out of that game with an injury that, I believe, knocked him out the entire 1990 season ...

The Giants circa 2007? They haven't made the playoffs 2 out of the past 3 years and were not much of a team before 2007 either ... so, yeah I put the 49ers loss to the 1990 Giants as a bit less of an upset than the Patriots loss in 2007.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by xx49erfanxx:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

Na , Peyton needs to win some more SB before you can say that . Peyton stinks it up in the playoffs way to much . I would say Brady before Peyton .

Yeah ... Manning???? He's 9-10 in the post season. He's lost a super bowl. He isn't even the best QB of the decade. Manning is the most overrated player in football history, IMO. His super bowl victory came against Rex Grossman for chrissake!

So you look at the Colts playoff record since Manning has been there and automatically put that on Manning?

P.S. Their Superbowl win came against the Bears, not Rex Grossman.

P.P.S. Brady is very good, but even so he's the most over-rated player in the NFL right now.

Yes, I automatically put the team's win loss record on the shoulders of the most important player on that team. Perhaps it's unfair, but that's how history judges QBs - on their wins and losses.

Who cares if it's fair to do so? The question is how wise it is (hint: not very). Wins and losses are not even a stat the NFL keeps for players, even a QB. Tennis players? Yes? Starting pitchers even? Yes (even though that stat can be misleading). But a quarterback? Nope. And there's a good reason for that.

I realize their win came against the Bears. But considering that the league is driven by QB play, the Bears season in 2006 was somewhat of an anomaly. My point being, this wasn't Montana vs. Marino or Elway, or Aikman vs. Kelly, or even Roethlisberger vs. Warner. A team with a solid QB, read New Orleans last year, beats the Colts.

Not one of those Super Bowls were QB vs QB.

And what is the reason for not judging QBs on their wins and losses? If not then obviously Favre is the greatest QB ever because he holds all the records. Then Marino. Then Manning. Hell, if you didn't count wins and losses then Bart Starr, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Montana, Troy Aikman ... all of these HOF QBs would be second rate - none of their statistics approach Favre's or Manning's.

Great players are "great" because they win games, not simply pile up statistics.
Joe Montana has won 4 super bowls, lost 0. /end thread
[ Edited by skynet907 on Jan 25, 2011 at 10:28 PM ]
Another stat for Montana vs Brady
Joe covered the spread in 3 of his 4 superbowl appearences
Brady has only covered the spread once.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place
Keep in mind that they both played in different eras.

- Montana was allowed to be mauled while Brady gets his own set of rules.

- Both QB's are products of their system. But Brady's system involves illegal footage. No rings since they got caught.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by jojomellon:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
First of all, you have read this as a fan of the NFL; not of the 49ers.

I hate to say it, but I believe that if Tom Brady wins the Super Bowl this year with these random players on his offense, he will go down as the GREATEST EVER. Montana had the GREATEST RECEIVER OF ALL TIME to throw to. Who is Tom Brady throwing to? Besides Randy Moss, Tom Brady has never had a DOMINANT wide receiver to throw to.

Lol.. umm noo. Not even close. Joe never threw any interceptions in any superbowls. Also Joe never lost a superbowl. Tom Brady won three superbowls that all should have an asterisk next to them. They cheated for all those superbowls that they won and don't give me this bullshhiit about how filming the opposing teams defensive signals really didn't benefit them. Umm.. that is why they ran a lot of hurry up so they could see the defensive calls. If it didn't seriously help them, then they wouldn't have done it. And they still barely won those superbowls with field goals. No way in hell they beat the Rams in superbowl 36 if they don't cheat. That Rams team was deep. And you see Belecheat's disciples like mcdaniels who was just fired from denver. That shows you how that organization works. They'll lie, cheat, and steal in order to win. Also Tom Brady FOLDS UNDER PRESSURE. New York Giants supplied pressure in the superbowl and brady couldn't handle it. Montana was clutch under all circumstances.. even with pressure in his face. Tom brady could have never made that play against the cowboys in the championship game in 81. You bring heat up the middle and Tom Brady falls down. Now don't get me wrong, Brady is dead accurate and a good quarterback, but nowhere near Montana and never will be. You see how much time the Pat's line gives Brady? It's ridiculous. Tom Brady could not succeed on the current 49er team. Montana could. Oh and everyone always says that Montana had so many weapons to throw to. He only had Rice for two superbowls. Case closed.

Yeah Brady folds like a deck of cards. He should be able to avoid oncoming pass rushers, how dare he take sacks. The Giants are lucky they are the only team all year to think of the genius idea to PROVIDE PRESSURE to Brady. The Giants D line didnt out play the Pats o line at all, it was all on Brady's shoulders. He simply folded.

Very unbiased.

Bottom line is this: Its asinine to compare players and choose one as being greater than the other because there are countless other factors involved. Football is a TEAM GAME. Brady cheated. Montana had a HOF wr. Brady had a better defense,. Montana had a better coach. Etc Etc Etc. You could go on all day but there are a million factors involved in both players' success. Itd be silly to pit one against the other claiming the other to be superior and inferior to the other. Whats the point?

The Giants were the only team that year to finally get a decent amount of pressure on Brady. Like I said, when provided with time Brady is dead accurate, as are a lot of quarterbacks. But when a good amount of pressure is provided.. that is when you are able to distinguish great quarterbacks from good ones. Brady gets flustered and he does not have the athletic ability to escape it. Tom Brady has been clutch throughout his career for the most part, but when teams are successful at putting heat on him, he is much more prone to failing and letting the pressure get to him when compared to some of the all time greats such as Johnny Unitas, Bart Star, and Montana. Brady relies much more on tremendous protection than any of those quarterbacks ever did. A lot of people forget how good Montana really was because it has been nearly two decades since he played. I watched Montana and Brady throughout their careers and it's very evident that Brady is the type of quarterback that relies on others to execute their assignments. Brady needs a comfortable pocket consistently in order to succeed.. Great quarterbacks make things work even with poor protection. Again.. Brady could not succeed with the current 49er team and Montana could. If you think Brady could make shiit happen with Chilo Rachaal and Anthony Davis trying to provide that incredible pocket for him you are incredibly ignorant. Of course no one can prove what would happen if different quarterbacks were subjected to different situations and eras but you can analyze it and break down their strengths and styles of play. Brady simply couldn't do some of the things Montana could my friend. May I remind you that Montana took a mediocre Kansas City team far into the playoffs and beat the superbowl champion 49er team. Now let me ask you.. who would you rather have as your quarterback in the superbowl? Tom Brady or Joe Montana...End thread.

LOL, can you see the difference between the two quarterbacks yet? Brady goes down like Jim Everett. Brady needs that nice little pocket and time to throw the ball, while great quarterbacks and great athletes make plays when the pocket collapses. Montana, Young, Rodgers, Brees are all examples of qbs who can make things happen under pressure. End of discussion.

If Big Ben wins a 3rd ring, should he be in this discussion?
Originally posted by verb1der:

Wow, great question! I don't like Pittsburg or Ben but can't think of a good reason to keep him out of the discussion. He does tend to perform well under pressure and is very difficult to bring down.

That said...go Green Bay!!

Fuuuuck Big Ben. He is this generation's Terry Bradshaw. I do agree though with the above comment that he is hard to bring down and does do well under pressure, but nowhere near being a great quarterback. And I hope the Packers raape him and the Steelers.. see how he likes it.
  • TheNef77
  • Q46 Draft 3rd place

Really? In 2 Super Bowls, he's become the worst rated winning QB in history and has only thrown 1 Touchdown. Get real.

No.
Share 49ersWebzone