LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs. Tom Brady

Shop Find 49ers gear online
First of all, you have read this as a fan of the NFL; not of the 49ers.

I hate to say it, but I believe that if Tom Brady wins the Super Bowl this year with these random players on his offense, he will go down as the GREATEST EVER. Montana had the GREATEST RECEIVER OF ALL TIME to throw to. Who is Tom Brady throwing to? Besides Randy Moss, Tom Brady has never had a DOMINANT wide receiver to throw to.
SIGH
Tom Brady does remind me of Montana. The poise in the pocket and accuracy are pretty close.
He's very good. It's hard to say where he fits. His career is not over yet. He's had great defenses backing him and a great coach too. It's not all Brady. He's had some real good WR's over the years. The O Lines have always been solid.

Montana was outstanding. But he's also overly romanticized on this board. He had great WR's, TE's. Offensive Lines and Defenses backing him. And pre salary cap era Eddie D. fielded the best teams year in and year out. Throw in a hall of fame coach. Was he good? Yes. Is he overly romaticized on this board? Yes.
Like it or not, the patriots are a new age 49ers. They have a great coach, great qb, and a great organization. Something we used to have
Originally posted by asu49ers:
Like it or not, the patriots are a new age 49ers. They have a great coach, great qb, and a great organization. Something we used to have
Montana has four.end of discussion.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
Tom Brady does remind me of Montana. The poise in the pocket and accuracy are pretty close.

Tom Brady also does it without the big play-makers that Montana had. Now I'm not saying that Brady is better than Montana, but it's definitely something to ponder.
Again (as I said in the other topic posted above regarding this), different eras!

-But Joe is the king, regardless of how anybody looks at it. Montana played in an era where murdering a QB was encouraged, and led last-minute TD drives without the help/reliance of bulls**t DPIs, and ridiculous ankle-grabbing calls.

It is what it is, Joe was a man, and he didn't scream to refs everytime somebody touched him wrong, and didn't need to rely on a kicker to win any of his comebacks.
Originally posted by obx49:

Tom Brady also does it without the big play-makers that Montana had. Now I'm not saying that Brady is better than Montana, but it's definitely something to ponder.

That's a VERY ignorant sentiment coming from a 49ers fan (who should know his history). All you youngins think Montana started building his career tapestry in the late 80's, the moment Jerry Rice came onto the scene.

Two f**king words: Freddy Solomon.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Dec 15, 2010 at 5:17 PM ]

Brady may be good now, but he and his a$$ of a HC cheated their way through his development. So I have no respect for Tom, and he doesn't deserve being mentioned in the same sentence as #16.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He's very good. It's hard to say where he fits. His career is not over yet. He's had great defenses backing him and a great coach too. It's not all Brady. He's had some real good WR's over the years. The O Lines have always been solid.

Montana was outstanding. But he's also overly romanticized on this board. He had great WR's, TE's. Offensive Lines and Defenses backing him. And pre salary cap era Eddie D. fielded the best teams year in and year out. Throw in a hall of fame coach. Was he good? Yes. Is he overly romaticized on this board? Yes.

What Montana did with the 49ers, he also did at Notre Dame, and in Kansas City (sans Super Bowl).

So speak for yourself when saying how Montana is viewed.

Joe is/was the GREATEST to ever play QB. The End.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Brady may be good now, but he and his a$$ of a HC cheated their way through his development. So I have no respect for Tom, and he doesn't deserve being mentioned in the same sentence as #16.

How do you know The 49ers never did this? You have ZERO RESPECT because the team figured out a few defensive hand signals? You think its that big of a deal? You think the Patriots are the only team to ever look at another team's signals?
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
First of all, you have read this as a fan of the NFL; not of the 49ers.

I hate to say it, but I believe that if Tom Brady wins the Super Bowl this year with these random players on his offense, he will go down as the GREATEST EVER. Montana had the GREATEST RECEIVER OF ALL TIME to throw to. Who is Tom Brady throwing to? Besides Randy Moss, Tom Brady has never had a DOMINANT wide receiver to throw to.

Lol.. umm noo. Not even close. Joe never threw any interceptions in any superbowls. Also Joe never lost a superbowl. Tom Brady won three superbowls that all should have an asterisk next to them. They cheated for all those superbowls that they won and don't give me this bullshhiit about how filming the opposing teams defensive signals really didn't benefit them. Umm.. that is why they ran a lot of hurry up so they could see the defensive calls. If it didn't seriously help them, then they wouldn't have done it. And they still barely won those superbowls with field goals. No way in hell they beat the Rams in superbowl 36 if they don't cheat. That Rams team was deep. And you see Belecheat's disciples like mcdaniels who was just fired from denver. That shows you how that organization works. They'll lie, cheat, and steal in order to win. Also Tom Brady FOLDS UNDER PRESSURE. New York Giants supplied pressure in the superbowl and brady couldn't handle it. Montana was clutch under all circumstances.. even with pressure in his face. Tom brady could have never made that play against the cowboys in the championship game in 81. You bring heat up the middle and Tom Brady falls down. Now don't get me wrong, Brady is dead accurate and a good quarterback, but nowhere near Montana and never will be. You see how much time the Pat's line gives Brady? It's ridiculous. Tom Brady could not succeed on the current 49er team. Montana could. Oh and everyone always says that Montana had so many weapons to throw to. He only had Rice for two superbowls. Case closed.
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Originally posted by obx49:

That's a VERY ignorant sentiment coming from a 49ers fan (who should know his history). All you youngins think Montana started building his career tapestry in the late 80's, the moment Jerry Rice came onto the scene.

Two f**king words: Freddy Solomon.

"Youngin?" Hahaha...thanks. Anyways, I guess Dwight Clark, Roger Craig, John Taylor, Brent Jones, Jerry Rice, and I won't include the great OL with the likes of Bubba Paris, Guy McIntyre, and Randy Cross are not good enough to include your list of Freddy Solomon (who btw was a great wr)? But you know your Niner history more than I do, right?
Share 49ersWebzone