Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by blunt_probe:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

4 Super Bowls has something to do with the team you are on. The biggest myth in the world is that it's all the QB. And people right here on this very WZ believe that.

Montana had Ronnie Lott, Charles Haley, Fred Dean, Jerry Rice just to name a short few. It was pre salary cap era and nobody was as big of a spender as Eddie D. The 49ers fieled the best O Lines and best defenses year in and year out. And they had outstanding WR's, TE's and good special teams.

Montana didn't do that by himself. In fact in the salary cap era my bet would be he wouldn't win 4 times. Maybe 1 or 2.
What a load of crock. You guys make it sound like Manning has nothing and isn't playing in a more pass friendly era. The real reason everyone says Montana is because of how clutch he was. Ask yourself this. One drive to win it at all. Who do you choose: Manning or Montana? /discussion

He doesn't have as much as Montana had. Not even close.

People on this site have idolized and glorified Montana because it is a 49ers fan site. He is envied here. But they fail to take into account the POWERHOUSE teams he was on year in and year out over the course of his career.

So, he doesn't have nothing which is my point. To be considered the G.O.A.T in my eyes, the most important attribute is how clutch one is. Manning is a consistent choker in that department. Even the year they won it all, it was the D, not him that carried the team. Hell, he nearly blew it against the Chiefs. He's a glorified Marino with a ring.

You're looking at the whole situation as negatively as possible as it pertains to Peyton Manning. The year they won the Super Bowl, their defense was ranked dead last in the league. They finally started playing decent defense with the return of Bob Sanders and that was all Manning needed to win it all. Every QB brought up in GOAT conversations has had defenses that did their share, EXCEPT Peyton Manning.

Here is a stat that disproves what you are saying.

Peyton is 0 - 3 in Playoff games after a first round bye. So, Peyton hasn't had great teams according to you, yet (including this year) it is the 4th year they have had the top 1 or two record in the AFC (plus as we know they have won more games than any team in NFL history in this past decade - obviously not good teams according to you) and Peyton loses that first game. Those loses are not because his teams were not good, but because he was confused in the playoffs and played poorly.

Wait, so the team got them to the playoffs and Manning lost the playoff games? Look, I'm not saying that Manning hasn't had bad games in the playoffs before, but I live in Indiana, and I've seen them play virtually every game since before Jeff George was their QB. Manning has not had a consistently good defense until this year. He has had offensive weapons, most definitely, but he has not had a defense. The Colts make no secret of the fact that in the Manning era there, the defense has been designed to play with a lead. The team was set up to get an early lead, forcing the opponents' to have to abandon the run so that Freeney and Mathis could just pin their ears back and get at the QB. Whenever an opponent was able to run early and successfully, playing that time of possession game against the Colts, the whole thing would fall apart. The defense wasn't designed to stop a run game, and they would inevitably get tired from being on the field too long, allowing the opposing offense to have a field day. This, in turn, forced Manning and the offense to be more aggressive and take more chances, which didn't always work.

Look at the teams they have struggled against in the playoffs...the Patriots (interesting that the Colts have been on the winning side now that the Pats are a pass happy team), the Steelers, the Chargers...all with very strong running games. Add to that those teams play 3-4 defenses, which the Colts rarely faced back then, meaning that both Manning and the O-Line could not be as confident in their reads. That was a recipe for failure, for a team failure.

I have a feeling that the Colts this season will have a much better chance against the Chargers if they end up facing them in the playoffs. The 3-4 defense is much more prominent today, so the Colts have more familiarity of it. In particular, the Colts have faced the Chargers several times in the last few years, so Manning now has a few pages of notes on them that he didn't have before. And this year's Colts defense is designed differently. They can stop the run, they have depth in the front seven meaning they don't get tired as easily (notice that against the Pats this season, the Colts D seemed fresh at the end while the Pats D could barely keep on their feet they were so winded). But today's Charger team is more of a passing team than they have been in the past, which actually helps the Colts defense. With a stronger defense, the offense doesn't necessarily have to worry about scoring every drive. They don't have to take chances if they get behind like they used to.

It should be a really good game assuming they can get past the Ravens again.

But back to the point...Montana, Brady, Manning. They play(ed) completely different styles, and in the case of Montana, in different eras. Comparing them is really not something that can be done.

I agree that it is impossible to compare. But to say that Manning never had good teams and that is why they lost is bulls**t. If you don't have good teams you don't consistently win 13+ games a year only to lose in the playoffs. And no, it is not always on Manning for losing. But as you said, when they play 3 - 4 teams he gets confused. That is on him. You can't give some bulls**t reason that they rarely play those types of teams so it is tough for them to adjust. Adjust is what being a clutch good QB did. Montana was able to do that. Now yes, Montana had bad games, had games where he lost the game by his play. But as history has shown there are many many more occasions where Joe was clutch, Manning there is not that case yet.
Montana never cried on the field.

...THE FU*K WAS THAT?!
Originally posted by NinerFan1979:

I agree that it is impossible to compare. But to say that Manning never had good teams and that is why they lost is bulls**t. If you don't have good teams you don't consistently win 13+ games a year only to lose in the playoffs. And no, it is not always on Manning for losing. But as you said, when they play 3 - 4 teams he gets confused. That is on him. You can't give some bulls**t reason that they rarely play those types of teams so it is tough for them to adjust. Adjust is what being a clutch good QB did. Montana was able to do that. Now yes, Montana had bad games, had games where he lost the game by his play. But as history has shown there are many many more occasions where Joe was clutch, Manning there is not that case yet.

Well, not to sound like a Smith apologist, because Manning did have troubles against the 3-4, but see if you can find tapes of some of those playoff games. The offensive line, which normally does an exceptional job at protecting Manning, looked, well frankly, like our O-line most of this year. I've seen Manning against a 3-4 defense get sacked on a run play. Yeah...the offensive line whiffed so badly that the defense was in the backfield and tackled Manning before he could complete a hand off. That's Jeff Saturday's job. He's the one who directs the line on that offense.

In the regular season against most teams, if Manning doesn't get the right pre-snap read (and nobody gets it right all the time), the O-line can usually provide him with enough time to make the correct read during the play. If the O-line whiffs on a play, Manning can normally overcome that mistake based on his pre-snap reads, quick release, and knowledge of the opponents' tendencies. But when Manning doesn't have the knowledge/data of a team to make consistently good pre-snap reads, and the O-line consistently fails not giving him any time to make reads during the play, well...it's a failure. Add to that the defense not being able to stop a team with a strong run game and it's an embarrassing failure (and don't tell me the Colts have had solid defenses, because they haven't...they have been among the worst in the league in rush defense for years, until very recently). And that's a team failure, not a Manning failure, a team failure. He most definitely was a part of the failure, but he was not the cause of it.

And you can't say he chokes in the playoffs, because for it to count as a choke, it has to be a failure in a situation where you would normally succeed. Those same problems happened when the Colts would play those teams in the regular season. It didn't matter if it was a playoff game or the opening game of the regular season, the Colts struggled mightily against those types of teams. They played very few of those teams during the regular season, so they'd finish with 12+ wins and those shortcomings weren't apparent going into the playoffs. And then when the Colts would lose, everybody says Manning choked. Everybody says he can't win in the playoffs, he can't handle the pressure of the big games. Fact is, it wasn't the pressure, or the fact that it was the playoffs. The Colts just simply struggled against those types of teams period. They weren't built to beat those teams. The fact that it happened in the playoffs is just coincidence, because that's when they faced those teams most often. It wasn't like the Patriots only beat the Colts in the post season back then. The Patriots beat the Colts during the regular season too. Of course, that was then, in recent years, the Colts have handled the Pats in regular season and post season alike. Their most recent problem team has been the Chargers, regular season and post season alike.
If I had to pick 1 guy to win 1 game and my life was on the line, i'd pick Joe Montana. In my mind, he's the greatest of all time.
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
I thought it was Adam Vinatieri vs. Joe Montana. As far as contributing to post season wins.

Ding ding ding.....it was never Joe vs Brady....
I just have three words for you KANSAS CITY YEARS. Name two receivers who were worth a s**t before or after Joe went there. So those of you say anything about Marino and Brady or Elway. Joe was one game away from taking guys like Willie Davis and JJ Birden to the Superbowl. END THREAD
I thought it was Adam Vinatieri vs. Joe Montana. As far as contributing to post season wins.

lol thats the funniest name ive seen on the zone yet. Joe Montana never had to rely on his kicker for a ring, he went out and took over in every super bowl he ever played in. best there ever was.
Originally posted by Ricethefngoat:

lol thats the funniest name ive seen on the zone yet. Joe Montana never had to rely on his kicker for a ring, he went out and took over in every super bowl he ever played in. best there ever was.

...In addition brady is the biggest baby on the field..earlier this year he pointed to the ref that his knee almost got hit and the ref gave him a penalty..I would've loved to see how he would've done getting clobbered like Joe did against the Giant,Cowboys,Bears, and Redskins defenses of the 1980's and early 90's

[ Edited by sincalfaithful on Jan 12, 2010 at 23:48:31 ]
Originally posted by Bourbon:
This is nuts. All these QBs are different. Montana was the absolute bomb, we all know that, but do I remember the stinker games...where my heart was racing and the disappointment lasted for a couple of days afterward? Oh yeah. I admired Dan Marino too - but in his 67-7 loss to the Jags in a game that was a strikingly similar start and MUCH WORSE end to Brady's last play off game (and Marinos was an AFC championship), did I cry for the dude? Sure. When Peyton Manning, another dynamic QB to watch, threw 6 interceptions (A Record!!!) to the chargers and lost that stinker of a game, did I feel for the dude? Sure. But you don't judge any of these people on a game or even a season that has its ups and downs. Peyton has had his troubles in the post season - Brady has been a champ there, but had his up and downs this last season (I cop him a bit of a break as he did just return from knee surgury) - and my Montana had his as well. But all these QBs are special, there is no discounting that. They've done some miraculous stuff and are all deserving of being in the HOF. Comparisons are dumb, they don't ever make any sense. I just celebrate them all (and I would toss Young in there also).

Wait. According the Smith haters no good QB has bad games.
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by krizay:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Joe cool didn't lose a superbowl and never played like Brady is in today's playoff game. There was lack of clarity and conviction on this debate a couple of years ago. No more. When the big games come, the debate is over. Joe Montana is the better QB.

Discuss.....

I agree with you.

But Peyton > than Montana

lol. 4 super bowls > 1 super bowl

Peyton Manning is Dan Marino with 1 ring.

Joe Montana is the greatest player in NFL postseason history. period.

Word!

Originally posted by taney71:
This is nuts. All these QBs are different. Montana was the absolute bomb, we all know that, but do I remember the stinker games...where my heart was racing and the disappointment lasted for a couple of days afterward? Oh yeah. I admired Dan Marino too - but in his 67-7 loss to the Jags in a game that was a strikingly similar start and MUCH WORSE end to Brady's last play off game (and Marinos was an AFC championship), did I cry for the dude? Sure. When Peyton Manning, another dynamic QB to watch, threw 6 interceptions (A Record!!!) to the chargers and lost that stinker of a game, did I feel for the dude? Sure. But you don't judge any of these people on a game or even a season that has its ups and downs. Peyton has had his troubles in the post season - Brady has been a champ there, but had his up and downs this last season (I cop him a bit of a break as he did just return from knee surgury) - and my Montana had his as well. But all these QBs are special, there is no discounting that. They've done some miraculous stuff and are all deserving of being in the HOF. Comparisons are dumb, they don't ever make any sense. I just celebrate them all (and I would toss Young in there also).

I can't believe you chime in just to support Smith???????

You must be lost. The Alex Smith Man-On-Man Love Association is located here:

I Heart Alex Smith

[ Edited by GhostofJimmyDean on Jan 13, 2010 at 16:07:16 ]
Originally posted by sincalfaithful:
Originally posted by Ricethefngoat:

...In addition brady is the biggest baby on the field..earlier this year he pointed to the ref that his knee almost got hit and the ref gave him a penalty..I would've loved to see how he would've done getting clobbered like Joe did against the Giant,Cowboys,Bears, and Redskins defenses of the 1980's and early 90's
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:

You must be lost. The Alex Smith Man-On-Man Love Association is located here:

I Heart Alex Smith

Yeah! Get the f**k out of this thread! Smith is nowhere near good enough to even be mentioned in ANY conversation involving Montana!
They're both great QB's...Brady doesn't have the team around him now...too many savvy vets have been shipped off. Montana had great OL's, receivers (including TE), Pro Bowl RB. Also different eras...these comparisons don't really have much validity.
Share 49ersWebzone