• Veteran
Originally posted by RonMexico:
he was louder than everyone else

with a deeper and blacky voice
Affirmative action.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
Affirmative action.

LOL!! Nice
Why did you buy that nice condo on sale at 60% off? Why did you buy that camaro with all the bells and whistles, without really checking it out.? Why did jed hire BM with out checking him out...really checking him out re" knowledge of game, coaching philosophy, how would he rebuild 9ers , etc. Answer to all the above: Because they were pretty and shiny, and we/you just couldn't pass up such a good deal. In one case, a worse for wear condo with hidden miseries in plumbing, electric, and termites. In the camaro's case, there were a blown head gasket, needed rings and pistons, and tranny was gone. In BMs case, great cover on the book, real pretty, well known, and bland pages, or just scribbles inside. that's why. Everything looked good on outside, but no where near enough attn was paid to inside, where we should have looked the hardest.
Yeah, I think it was mostly the "bird in the hand" syndrome...the team looked like they were responding to Singletary, so why look elsewhere. Maybe Jed also bought into the Singletary mystique...tough, hard-nosed leader who commanded and got respect/commitment from the players. We all know Jed should've looked deeper...but the body of Singletary's work as head coach was limited...so his permanent hiring was likely based on potential more than his actual resume. The real point is, what to do now...and I firmly believe Jed simply needs to recognize that Singletary's just not the head coach we need. With proven winners like Gruden, Billick and Cowher out there, Jed has some viable options to get a legitimate head coach. He simply needs to fess up and do the right thing...now.
My opinion is that Singletary has helped this team make great strides, improved the talent on both sides of the ball and done a better job developing that talent than any coach we've had since Mooch. That said, I feel like he has maxed out as a coach. He helped get us to the doorstep of success, but his limitations as a coach--and his hubris--make it impossible for us to get to the next level. I think the best thing we could do is hire a proven winner with an offensive background and a better grasp of strategic football like Gruden and have him take us to the promised land. Barring an unbelievable turnaround, Alex is done here and we will need to cultivate a new QB--the equivalent of starting over. To do this as quickly and painlessly as possible is the goal so we dont waste many more prime years in the careers of our stars (Gore, Davis, Willis).
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Yeah, I think it was mostly the "bird in the hand" syndrome...the team looked like they were responding to Singletary, so why look elsewhere. Maybe Jed also bought into the Singletary mystique...tough, hard-nosed leader who commanded and got respect/commitment from the players. We all know Jed should've looked deeper...but the body of Singletary's work as head coach was limited...so his permanent hiring was likely based on potential more than his actual resume. The real point is, what to do now...and I firmly believe Jed simply needs to recognize that Singletary's just not the head coach we need. With proven winners like Gruden, Billick and Cowher out there, Jed has some viable options to get a legitimate head coach. He simply needs to fess up and do the right thing...now.[/quote]

quote]

Good luck with that. He's a legacy Notre Damer and a moron.[/
[ Edited by MBniner on Sep 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM ]
I don't know if he's a moron, but there comes a time you need to bite the bullet, and that time is now. Realistically, unless the team is 1-7 or 2-6 at midseason, Jed may wait 'til the off-season to make a move. Problem with that is, there are going to be a number of other HC vacancies, so Jed may not have the choices that are available now.
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by highwayone:
Because Jed was in love with Singletary's BS. He should have waited until the offseason, and weighed his options.

I got sick to my stomach when they hired him, then two days later (or whatever) Washington grabbed Shannahan.

That still pisses me off.

LOL...you're pissed off for no reason. Shanahan was hired this year.

WAIT A MINUTE, Look what Lowell Cohn just wrote about when he was hired:
"I thought then — as I wrote — the Prince was in an awful hurry. Mike Shanahan would become available in a few days and Jon Gruden would become available in about a month. Maybe they could do a better job. But there was no comparison shopping for our Prince, and certainly no waiting."
Link to Article

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He represented great value to the YORKIES. Instead of paying $5 - $6 MILLION they got a bargain basement value HC. That's what they always seek. Good value rather than a great coach with experience. Plus they didn't have to go through the TEDIUS interview process of looking at 3, 5, 7 candidates and narrowing it down which is stressful and time consuming. The YORKIES have been mailing it in for years. They don't try. That should be obvious by now.

1) Great Value (CHEAP).
2) Don't have to go through the tedius interview process (too much work).

Plus we have JED "Silver Spoon" YORKIE who is a 27 year old Billionaires kid who ZERO experience at anything in life. He is completely overmatched and overwhelmed. Singletary probably gave him one good speech or said some motivational words about Vernon Davis and Spoon gave him the job.

Our organization is a joke. Probably only the Raiders and Lions are worse.

YUP!!!
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Because Jed was in love with Singletary's BS. He should have waited until the offseason, and weighed his options.

I got sick to my stomach when they hired him, then two days later (or whatever) Washington grabbed Shannahan.

That still pisses me off.

LOL...you're pissed off for no reason. Shanahan was hired this year.

WAIT A MINUTE, Look what Lowell Cohn just wrote about when he was hired:
"I thought then — as I wrote — the Prince was in an awful hurry. Mike Shanahan would become available in a few days and Jon Gruden would become available in about a month. Maybe they could do a better job. But there was no comparison shopping for our Prince, and certainly no waiting."
Link to Article

Yes, Jed is a moron. Any of these people were the obvious first play. I really wanted him to go after one, especially Shanahan, but no.
Originally posted by 49erman5692:
his an amazing motivational coach who can get his players to fight all day long

yeah with wooden swords and plastic shields.
It was an emotional decision...and he's a likable guy but that doesn't mean he's a good coach. Colin Cowherd hit the nail right on the head....The NFL is not a ra ra leauge...you need to know the X's and O's and be able to coach these guys up.....not just motivate.
Is it no surprise that no one wanted to hire Singletary? Remember he interviewed for the Atlanta job but instead it went to Mike Smith. Arthur Blank interviewed Singletary and wasn't impressed with his philosophy. Can you blame him?

Singletary has no philosophy. No one wanted him.