There are 166 users in the forums

Why was Sing hired in the first place?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by sacniner:
It was the obvious choice. He took over and it was clear the team was playing a lot harder for him. He kicked VD off the field, brought some authority and credibility. York had to hire him, if not he would of got railed on by fans and media (unless he got a Shanahan or Holmgren type). Sing deserves another year also.

Hindsight is always 20/20. Can't really blame York for sticking with Sing.

That's the problem...it wasn't the obvious choice....we didn't interview anyone else....He did bring passion and a willingness to make changes and players did respond to that....but is that all a head coach needs??

I think Sings over his head and will have to rely on his Off. and Def. coordinators....but only time will tell....I guess we love hope....because we've been hoping for the past 7 years...:)
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
i would rather have a coach who can inspire a team who doesnt have the credentials, than a coach with decades of experience who has absolutely no motivational abilities..

Same here

Then you would approve hiring Anthony Robbins for HC???
Originally posted by Ninerbowl6:
It was the obvious choice. He took over and it was clear the team was playing a lot harder for him. He kicked VD off the field, brought some authority and credibility. York had to hire him, if not he would of got railed on by fans and media (unless he got a Shanahan or Holmgren type). Sing deserves another year also.

That's the problem...it wasn't the obvious choice....

It WAS the obvious choice. He was already the head coach of the 9ers for half a season and the team performed admirably under him going 5-2 to finish the season. It's not like they hired him off the street. They gave the CURRENT head coach a contract to coach for the next few seasons. They kept the guy that was already producing results, a guy they were already happy with. WTF would interviewing a few other guys do to change that (other than the show they have doubts about the guy they wanted in the first place)?
Originally posted by Gavintech:

That's the problem...it wasn't the obvious choice....

It WAS the obvious choice. He was already the head coach of the 9ers for half a season and the team performed admirably under him going 5-2 to finish the season. It's not like they hired him off the street. They gave the CURRENT head coach a contract to coach for the next few seasons. They kept the guy that was already producing results, a guy they were already happy with. WTF would interviewing a few other guys do to change that (other than the show they have doubts about the guy they wanted in the first place)?

Absolutely. How was it not the obvious choice?? That argument makes no sense. Had he not been retained, he likely would have ended up a HC somewhere else
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He represented great value to the YORKIES. Instead of paying $5 - $6 MILLION they got a bargain basement value HC. That's what they always seek. Good value rather than a great coach with experience. Plus they didn't have to go through the TEDIUS interview process of looking at 3, 5, 7 candidates and narrowing it down which is stressful and time consuming. The YORKIES have been mailing it in for years. They don't try. That should be obvious by now.

1) Great Value (CHEAP).
2) Don't have to go through the tedius interview process (too much work).

Plus we have JED "Silver Spoon" YORKIE who is a 27 year old Billionaires kid who ZERO experience at anything in life. He is completely overmatched and overwhelmed. Singletary probably gave him one good speech or said some motivational words about Vernon Davis and Spoon gave him the job.

Our organization is a joke. Probably only the Raiders and Lions are worse.

This
Simple... to maintain a little continuity. The 9ers believed that they had done some decent things and in the draft and had established at least enough to be competitive, but Nolan wasn't getting it done. Rather than bringing in a whole new regime and blowing things up again the team went internal. Plus big Mike did pretty well as an interim coach and sort of earned it. I liked the move personally and submit that the team would likely be a couple years behind where it is today.
Originally posted by tommyncal:
Originally posted by kemp_j:
Originally posted by MaliCali:
i would rather have a coach who can inspire a team who doesnt have the credentials, than a coach with decades of experience who has absolutely no motivational abilities..

Same here

Then you would approve hiring Anthony Robbins for HC???

No; Robbins is a con artist and has nothing to do with football........

As far as I know Tony Robbins never played a down in the NFL. Coach Sing is a HOFamer so there's no comparison..... There's a huge difference between the two........

That's the problem...it wasn't the obvious choice....we didn't interview anyone else....He did bring passion and a willingness to make changes and players did respond to that....but is that all a head coach needs??

I think Sings over his head and will have to rely on his Off. and Def. coordinators....but only time will tell....I guess we love hope....because we've been hoping for the past 7 years...:)

actually relying on your coordinators is the best thing to do unless your name is Walsh. or you have an offensive system. The head coaches job is to make sure everything is done right while the coordinators job is the X's and O's. Championships are not made overnight and Sing has proven that the players on this team wants to play for him. That is more important than everything else.
Because Jed being from San Francisco couldn't resist a man who's so quick to pull down his pants and show his bung hole.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jan 7, 2010 at 17:47:55 ]
I cant believe some people are actually complaining. This is the first time I feel happy not making the playoffs because

a) We didnt have a losing season yet again (I know we didnt have a winning one either.)

b) Most games that we lost were very close

c) This team can only keep getting better and more mature which leaves me hopeful for next season because I actually saw results during the season.

Originally posted by cubanb:
It was the easy way out for York.

This.
Singletary is a top notch motivator, but should NFL players really need motivating?! Surely they need "coaching" more?
lmao, my friend just said Jessie Jackson made Jed hire him
1) He had no previous Head Coaching experience in the NFL (YORKS love this).
2) He had no proven winning record in the NFL (Yorks approved).
3) He doesn't know anything about offense (Perfect York hire).
4) He came cheap (Did I mention cheap).
5) He is an internal candidate. Yorks love this. They don't have to go outside the organization on a long Head Coacing search. The fastest, easiest, cheapest internal hire is the pattern usually.

Any questions?...
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He represented great value to the YORKIES. Instead of paying $5 - $6 MILLION they got a bargain basement value HC. That's what they always seek. Good value rather than a great coach with experience. Plus they didn't have to go through the TEDIUS interview process of looking at 3, 5, 7 candidates and narrowing it down which is stressful and time consuming. The YORKIES have been mailing it in for years. They don't try. That should be obvious by now.

1) Great Value (CHEAP).
2) Don't have to go through the tedius interview process (too much work).

Plus we have JED "Silver Spoon" YORKIE who is a 27 year old Billionaires kid who ZERO experience at anything in life. He is completely overmatched and overwhelmed. Singletary probably gave him one good speech or said some motivational words about Vernon Davis and Spoon gave him the job.

Our organization is a joke. Probably only the Raiders and Lions are worse.

How many coaches get paid 5-6 million a year?

How many playoff games did Dallas and Redskins win with such coaches and assistant coaches?

This is just absurd. Stop this bs about Yorks being cheap and what not? They have shelled out a lot of money to put and keep talent on this team. Willis and Vernon have been signed to long term contracts, they gave s**t load of money to Clements and Michael Lewis as well.
Share 49ersWebzone