LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 305 users in the forums

Why was Sing hired in the first place?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by djfullshred:
He was lucky enough to follow Nolan, who set any replacement up to look good by his own ineptidude. The team couldn't go anywhere but up after they fired Nolan.

But it was Nolan who set this franchise up for staple of mediocrity. You got to give him credit for that. He accomplished phase 1, got the Niners out of the dumps, and not just temporarily, but securely out of the dumps.

Sing's task is to complete phase 2. A consistent playoff team.

So Sing and Nolan should not be overly compared. They both have far different goals based on far different starting positions.
HE KNOWS FOOTBALL.. WE ARE A TOUGHER AND BETTER TEAM WITH HIM PERIOD
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He represented great value to the YORKIES. Instead of paying $5 - $6 MILLION they got a bargain basement value HC. That's what they always seek. Good value rather than a great coach with experience. Plus they didn't have to go through the TEDIUS interview process of looking at 3, 5, 7 candidates and narrowing it down which is stressful and time consuming. The YORKIES have been mailing it in for years. They don't try. That should be obvious by now.

1) Great Value (CHEAP).
2) Don't have to go through the tedius interview process (too much work).

Plus we have JED "Silver Spoon" YORKIE who is a 27 year old Billionaires kid who ZERO experience at anything in life. He is completely overmatched and overwhelmed. Singletary probably gave him one good speech or said some motivational words about Vernon Davis and Spoon gave him the job.

Our organization is a joke. Probably only the Raiders and Lions are worse.

Really? And thats why we went 8-8, VD got 13 TD's changed his attitude, and Willis is an all pro yet again. And the Defense was awesome most of the yr, look at Justin Smith, Spikes, Franklin.

This org is not a joke, just most of its fans are a joke.
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by djfullshred:
He was lucky enough to follow Nolan, who set any replacement up to look good by his own ineptidude. The team couldn't go anywhere but up after they fired Nolan.

But it was Nolan who set this franchise up for staple of mediocrity. You got to give him credit for that. He accomplished phase 1, got the Niners out of the dumps, and not just temporarily, but securely out of the dumps.

Sing's task is to complete phase 2. A consistent playoff team.

So Sing and Nolan should not be overly compared. They both have far different goals based on far different starting positions.

My comment was tongue in cheek, but did Nolan get the team out of the dumps? His first three years was 4 wins, 7 wins, then 5 wins. He was a major factor in the ongoing quaterback fiasco. He had a lot of crazy ideas in drafting players & converting them to different positions. He was a poor game manager. He did not have a clue or seem to care much about the offense. He was a total BSer to players & media. He created a divisive locker room with his "accountability" crap, which really amounted to calling out & humiliating team mates. I don't think Nolan got the team out of the dumps. I think they are only just coming out of the dumps now that he is gone.
  • GORO
  • Veteran
He deserved the head coaching job. He was a leader that players are willing to follow. The problem is that the owners didnot want Martz, and they Scott and Mike selected Jimmy Raye as the replacement.

So Singleterry has done wonders with VD, Brooks, and has shown a willingness to adapt. His weakness as a headcoach is that he is not an offensive mind. And if we suffer another mediocre season next year, management has to be blamed first.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
CAUSE WE DON'T CARE ABOUT DA MOUF, WE WANNA HIT DEM IN DA CARDINALS!

Originally posted by jprchrds:
HE KNOWS FOOTBALL.. WE ARE A TOUGHER AND BETTER TEAM WITH HIM PERIOD

Originally posted by tommyncal:
This is really not meant to start a debate again on those who support Singletary and those who don't. I don't. I'm just curious to those who 'do' support him and his hiring, why did York hire him? What qualified him to be a NFL head coach? A 5-4 record after he took over from his mentor? Because he sent V Davis to the locker room? His history as a HOF player? What? He had 1, yes, 1 year as a linebackers coach! He was never a coordinator, never coached in college, never game planned and never called plays, offensively or defensively! I don't believe he has worked long enough in the league to establish any network of coaches, thus having to establish his own network over time. What OL coach does he have a relationship with that he could hire if he fires Forester? He was made assistant head coach by Nolan strictly for his motivational skills. Which I believe he used on York to hire him. He is a great man and I love to listen to him speak, but, I'd rather have the future of the niners in a more qualified coach. Singletary will put everything he has to be a successful HC, I just wonder how long it will take. I think a very long time, if at all.
I don't post much on here, but read the zone everyday, but I am so frustrated with the front office I had to type something out. Fire away, would love to hear your opinions.

You forgot to mention the players wanted him to be the head coach. That is a big and important factor.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Because he took a 2-5 team and finished 5-4.
Because the players wanted him.
Because there really was nobody better available at the time.
Because it was the logical thing to do.

-9fA

/ Thread.

This^
Originally posted by D_Niner:

-9fA

/ Thread.

This^

That.
Originally posted by FILTHpigskin:

-9fA

/ Thread.

This^

That.

I love when people act like certain posts are thread enders when they are clearly no stronger than any other opinion.

2-5 to 5-4, pretty minor accomplishment(Nolan did the same)
players wanted him. How do you know that? and anyway should that really matter?
Nobody better available at the time. Uh, define the time. At many points in the off season other HC candidates were up for talks. This is very debatable
because it was the logical thing to do. Well that is what we are trying to determine isn't it.

lol. end thread. OK, sure if you already have your mind made up about it.

p.s. That Rollin with Nolan crowd was pretty sure he was the most logical choice also.
[ Edited by danimal on Jan 5, 2010 at 3:54 PM ]

i would rather have a coach who can inspire a team who doesnt have the credentials, than a coach with decades of experience who has absolutely no motivational abilities..

-9fA

/ Thread.

This^
Because every one of us would have had the York's ass if they didn't hire him. That's why.
Originally posted by danimal:
Nobody better available at the time. Uh, define the time. At many points in the off season other HC candidates were up for talks.

Which coach that WAS hired by an NFL team last offseason would have been a better hire?
Originally posted by Winners:
Originally posted by BobS:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He represented great value to the YORKIES. Instead of paying $5 - $6 MILLION they got a bargain basement value HC. That's what they always seek. Good value rather than a great coach with experience. Plus they didn't have to go through the TEDIUS interview process of looking at 3, 5, 7 candidates and narrowing it down which is stressful and time consuming. The YORKIES have been mailing it in for years. They don't try. That should be obvious by now.

1) Great Value (CHEAP).
2) Don't have to go through the tedius interview process (too much work).

Plus we have JED "Silver Spoon" YORKIE who is a 27 year old Billionaires kid who ZERO experience at anything in life. He is completely overmatched and overwhelmed. Singletary probably gave him one good speech or said some motivational words about Vernon Davis and Spoon gave him the job.

Our organization is a joke. Probably only the Raiders and Lions are worse.

I find it amusing that it seems just me and San Diego 49er are the only ones calling the Yorkies out as cheap skates. I wonder where all the York haters went after DumpYork.com stop being maintained? I think I am the only one who came here.

I find it amusing that you are agreeing with a troll that said only the Raiders and the Lions have a worse organization than us. I can name quite a few off the top of my head. Rams, Seahawks, Browns (Holmgren hasn't proven anything yet), Chiefs, Buccs and I'm sure there are more.

I can't believe I'm seeing so much complaining after Sing took us to our first non losing season in 7 years. Also, take a look around the NFL and you'll realize the 49ers are on the way up, not stuck in the dregs anymore like all the teams I listed above.

Please add Washington to this this as they and the Raiders have to suck the most. You also can not call the Yorks Cheap as they have doled out lots of Rookie money and Fa money. updated the practice facilitys and if not for some crack smokers in SF politics would probably have a stadium on the build.
Share 49ersWebzone