There are 221 users in the forums

Bee-Rows : Don't expect cornerback Nate Clements to go anywhere next season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by confusedrhino:
We will be a better team when Clements is back as being one of our top2 corners. He is one of the best tacklers at CB in the NFL.

Spencer/Clements/Bly (and maybe Walt Harris if he still has some gas) sounds like a good base trio with our young guys as nickel backs.
It is in the 49ers' best interest to retain Nate Clements at all costs. He has been by far one of the biggest factors in the 49ers defense. Look at Fitzgerald's numbers for example:

Before Clements arrived in SF:

9 receptions, 131 yards, 1 td

15 receptions, 331 yards, 1 td

13 receptions, 226 yards, 1 td

Total
37 receptions, 688 yards, 3 tds

After Clements arrived in SF:

12 receptions, 176 yards, 2 tds (not all yards were Clements' fault)

11 receptions, 77 yards, 2 tds

2009:
8 rec, 43 yds 1 td

Total
31 receptions, 296 yards, 5 tds

As you can clearly see. Fitz has been seriously limited in yardage since Clements was signed. Also, the 49ers were 2-4 vs Arizona before Clements was signed. Since signing CLements, the 49ers are 4-2 and would be 6-0 if not for Martz and JTO. This is not a coincidence. Clements is one of the top CBs in the league and the niners need to do what they can to keep him on the team.

[ Edited by danny_Tanner on Jan 10, 2010 at 16:24:05 ]
I just want to touch on this matter, I've been hearing a lot angry Niner fans that want Nate to be cut or traded or moved to safety because of his struggles at times. Most of it comes from his salary. A lot don't believe he lives up to his cap figure.

Like some of you mentioned already we are low enough in cap space where we don't have to cut him. Leave him on the roster and make him earn his spot in camp. Don't get too enamored with the rookies in this year's draft. Were a better secondary with him on the roster than without him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why would we get rid of him? He's a good player. He's also helped shut down Larry Fitzgerald since he got here compared with what we had before he got here.

This!
Good, I wasn't expecting him to.
He's a highly under-rated corner, he's got at least 2 more years.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Why would we get rid of him? He's a good player. He's also helped shut down Larry Fitzgerald since he got here compared with what we had before he got here.

cuz people play madden too much.
Nate doesn't want to play safety but his time is coming. Even Lott saw the writing on the wall and made the most of it. You can still get a nice chunk of change playing SS.
Originally posted by smashmouth51:
Nate doesn't want to play safety but his time is coming. Even Lott saw the writing on the wall and made the most of it. You can still get a nice chunk of change playing SS.

true but hasnt come yet he did a above average job as our 1 corner last year
  • Chief
  • Veteran

Awesome, Nate is the man!

I would seriously love to see Clements get moved to a safety role of some sort, the guy hits people like nobody else in most of the NFC at that position (for even a coverage safety).

f**k, I'm not s**tting you, if Clements hits people as hard as his dick when he masturbates we all ought to say prayers for Mrs. Clements during the off-season.

[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Mar 2, 2010 at 20:32:56 ]
I think some of the disappointment has to be cast on Mac/Nolan for signing him to such a huge contract. Everyone expected Superman...and got something less. Nate's a good CB...maybe not a great one. For now, he and Spencer are the best tandem we have. So, all the rumors about cutting him or moving him to S have little merit. Best Singletary can do is draft someone like Perrish Cox to push him and make the secondary better.
I don't think most people actually understand Clements' contract even though I've seen dozens of threads and hundreds of posts explaining it. Yea, he may have been overpaid, but not nearly to the degree people suggest. He has his issues, yes, but he is very good nonetheless. It would be irresponsible to release him, especially if the very likely no-cap scenario plays out.

He will be with us for the next 3 years barring injury or extreme circumstances. His cap hit is pretty heavy this year, but we can't afford to lose him, and his cap hit is reduced by over 25% next year, and almost 75% the year after. Good corners are the toughest slot to fill, as it is arguably the most important defensive position in todays NFL. and to really feel comfortable you need 4 of them...which nobody has.

Just accept him and root for him because he isn't going anywhere for the next 3 years.
Nate still has top 10 CB skills, I wouldnt move him to safety just yet, and with our pass rush improving he will have a better season, but we still need to add a CB for depth and to groom for the future when Nate and Spencer are done
Just to follow up on this another thing I heard was that a lot his teammates have said that before he got hurt against Ind. he was being made the scapegoat by the media when our secondary would struggle.

I can almost say for sure it was the ATL game where White torched him. It's easy to make the guy who gets paid the most the scapegoat but it's good to hear his teammates don't look at him in a negative way.
Share 49ersWebzone