LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 273 users in the forums

Bee-Rows : Don't expect cornerback Nate Clements to go anywhere next season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great. We need Nate on this team, he's on of our best defensive backs. I told you guys he'll give up 1 big play a game though.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Originally posted by taney71:
I've never been a big fan of signing Clements. I understand Clements has done a good job of nailing down one side of our defensive secondary but he never had been the shut down corner he was suppose to be. Clements cost too much for the lack of on the field production.

With that said I think it is a smart move to let him go into the offseason as the PRESUMPTIVE starting CB. Nothing in this report says to me that Clements is a lock to start at CB next year. There are too many question marks about his speed and covering ability. Plus the 9ers don't know how Brown will develop and if Walt Harris comes back close to the same player he was when he got hurt.

Assuming Spencer is our starting CB on the other side the 9ers are sitting pretty with the options of Clements, Brown, and possibility Harris. I really like our CB situation.

As for safety, if Clements doesn't work out there I'd like to see if he'd take a salary cut to move to SS.

Why does everyone on this board keep saying that? I have never ever read anything that would suggest that the staff wants to do that and Clement in an interview 2 months ago said he absolutely does not want to be a saftey. He kept saying, "I'm a corner, I'm a corner." And you can tell the host was getting on his nerves with that.

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. It gets on my nerves how often people make this same suggestion.
We will be a better team when Clements is back as being one of our top2 corners. He is one of the best tacklers at CB in the NFL.

Spencer/Clements/Bly (and maybe Walt Harris if he still has some gas) sounds like a good base trio with our young guys as nickel backs.
I want to bring back bly, hudson and walt harris! I dont think we let nate go either!!

Reality is, we resign hudson cheap, who is dope on ST! I'd take a flyer on walt harris, we could prob get him cheap and is still a great corner!! And for Bly, he might want more money than we want to pay him, but at the same time, if we want him back and he may want to stay with our ballin D, he might be willing to sign a respectable deal! Who knows, but I think his play will land him else where with good money!! Teams might think he is the second coming of charles woodson rebirth!
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
This is great news. Spencer is on the verg of probowl status and Nate is a very good corner. At the moment I dont care about his salary because we are so far under the cap. If the cap becomes an issue later on then lets worry about it. For now we dont need to create more wholes on our team roster.

At the moment Nate isn't playing shutdown football, but maybe he's just in a slump? It happens in sports you know. If you remember at the beginning of the season he was playing lights out and everyone was like "Nates back." Then he had a few ok games, not horrible and everyones like "he's washed up."

Exactly.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
This is great news. Spencer is on the verg of probowl status and Nate is a very good corner. At the moment I dont care about his salary because we are so far under the cap. If the cap becomes an issue later on then lets worry about it. For now we dont need to create more wholes on our team roster.

At the moment Nate isn't playing shutdown football, but maybe he's just in a slump? It happens in sports you know. If you remember at the beginning of the season he was playing lights out and everyone was like "Nates back." Then he had a few ok games, not horrible and everyones like "he's washed up."

Exactly.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Good he's still valuable and this doesn't put us in a jam to "have to" drat a CB very early.
Good. Now people can stop the nonsense.
Nate's a solid corner. And the niners really don's have cap issues. You guys are penny pinching with someone else's money.

I'll be really surprised if Walt Harris comes back.

He's going to be 36 in August and he's coming off of a torn ACL injury. If he does play this upcoming, he's not going to be at the level he was.

I really think his career is done.

That's why we need to keep Clements.
  • rob28
  • Veteran
I've never been a big fan of signing Clements. I understand Clements has done a good job of nailing down one side of our defensive secondary but he never had been the shut down corner he was suppose to be. Clements cost too much for the lack of on the field production.

With that said I think it is a smart move to let him go into the offseason as the PRESUMPTIVE starting CB. Nothing in this report says to me that Clements is a lock to start at CB next year. There are too many question marks about his speed and covering ability. Plus the 9ers don't know how Brown will develop and if Walt Harris comes back close to the same player he was when he got hurt.

Assuming Spencer is our starting CB on the other side the 9ers are sitting pretty with the options of Clements, Brown, and possibility Harris. I really like our CB situation.

As for safety, if Clements doesn't work out there I'd like to see if he'd take a salary cut to move to SS.

Why does everyone on this board keep saying that? I have never ever read anything that would suggest that the staff wants to do that and Clement in an interview 2 months ago said he absolutely does not want to be a saftey. He kept saying, "I'm a corner, I'm a corner." And you can tell the host was getting on his nerves with that.

He already is a safety like all our cb's the way they play 20 yards of the wr's. our secondary is 4 safeties instead of 2 and 2 cb's.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you. It gets on my nerves how often people make this same suggestion.

It is clear Clements is getting slower and his coverage is spotty at times. Coming off an injury he might not be even the same player as before. I'm just saying the GM and coaches have to have that option in the back of their minds.
Originally posted by blunt_probe:

It is clear Clements is getting slower and his coverage is spotty at times. Coming off an injury he might not be even the same player as before. I'm just saying the GM and coaches have to have that option in the back of their minds.

It doesn't seem as if anybody has that option. I also agree with blunt_probe.

If Clements is not going to take a paycut as a CB, why would you think he's going to take a paycut as a FS? Do you want a $6M FS?

-9fA
[ Edited by 9erfanAUS on Jan 3, 2010 at 7:02 AM ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I like Clements, glad he's gonna be staying
Share 49ersWebzone