There are 105 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why can't Lee kick FG's

If he can kick it in the air 50yds why can't he do it on the ground? I never understood this about kickers. If They have really strong legs why can't they do both. I mean how many time's does lee need to punt in practice. Can't he practice a few FG's? I haven't seen Cincinatti's (college) kicker but they just said he does both. Why can't Lee?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 14,925
I've been thinking this for years. I remember going to a WVU game when Jay Taylor did both and was great at both. I for the life of me can't uderstand why NFL caliber kickers can't do both. Not saying we should only have one guy to do both. But they should be able to do both.

One of the problems though is the punter is usually the holder. Which again I hate. It should be someone you can use on trick plays to give you options on occasion.
Originally posted by krizay:
I've been thinking this for years. I remember going to a WVU game when Jay Taylor did both and was great at both. I for the life of me can't uderstand why NFL caliber kickers can't do both. Not saying we should only have one guy to do both. But they should be able to do both.

One of the problems though is the punter is usually the holder. Which again I hate. It should be someone you can use on trick plays to give you options on occasion.

Yeah it's always been a mystery to me too. Imagine the extra roster spot!
Originally posted by teeohh:
Originally posted by krizay:
I've been thinking this for years. I remember going to a WVU game when Jay Taylor did both and was great at both. I for the life of me can't uderstand why NFL caliber kickers can't do both. Not saying we should only have one guy to do both. But they should be able to do both.

One of the problems though is the punter is usually the holder. Which again I hate. It should be someone you can use on trick plays to give you options on occasion.

Yeah it's always been a mystery to me too. Imagine the extra roster spot!

What happens if the guy gets hurt during the game? Then no kicker or punter?
Originally posted by krizay:
I've been thinking this for years. I remember going to a WVU game when Jay Taylor did both and was great at both. I for the life of me can't uderstand why NFL caliber kickers can't do both. Not saying we should only have one guy to do both. But they should be able to do both.

One of the problems though is the punter is usually the holder. Which again I hate. It should be someone you can use on trick plays to give you options on occasion.

That too, i mean since apparently we don't have anyone better, why not have Battle back there and do a fake with a run throw option. It seems we could at least practice this stuff, unless battles to busy running with the scout team
Ricky Schmitt does both.
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Ricky Schmitt does both.

He also gets extra points blocked, awesome!
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Ricky Schmitt does both.

He also gets extra points blocked, awesome!

He and Alex had a contest as to who could hit the hands the hardest.
Because he's a punter.
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:

What happens if the guy gets hurt during the game? Then no kicker or punter?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:
Originally posted by 49erfaninPA:

What happens if the guy gets hurt during the game? Then no kicker or punter?

Go for it on 4th downs.

Someone can at least squib..

-9fA
because he's the holder
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Ricky Schmitt does both.

He also gets extra points blocked, awesome!

Not in games.
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Originally posted by itlynstalyn:
Originally posted by HaiGuise:
Ricky Schmitt does both.

He also gets extra points blocked, awesome!

Not in games.

I was at the Lion's game. One of his extra points was so low it got deflected on the way up. He also missed a 28 yard field goal that was too low and got blocked. He also kicks off like a 14 year old girl.
[ Edited by itlynstalyn on Jan 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM ]
  • crzy
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 39,284
Because kicking and punting are different. Duh.

Why doesn't Michael Crabtree play tight end, tight ends and receivers both catch.