There are 246 users in the forums

The state of the 49ers Offensive Line, Statistically speaking...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
After re-reading the posts on this thread it seemed that this would be an excellent year for trading up or down in order to go after specific players. There may not be OLinemen where the 9ers are drafting worthy of the spot, so why not put a package together and go after an Okung? If they can do that for a 1st and a 3rd it should be done in a heartbeat. If Okung is not the apple of their eye, then they may be able to trade down a few places and still get Asamoah and a Davis.

This calls to question Pasodoc's view of Scot. If Scot can't think on his feet during the draft and have alternative scenarios in mind then they stay where they are and draft BPA (not the end of the world this year). On the other hand, if he can be creative, this year could be special.

There seem to be more top (or near top) OL and DBs in this draft than usual, so I hope they get it right.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 2, 2010 at 10:21 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
After re-reading the posts on this thread it seemed that this would be an excellent year for trading up or down in order to go after specific players. There may not be OLinemen where the 9ers are drafting worthy of the spot, so why not put a package together and go after an Okung? If they can do that for a 1st and a 3rd it should be done in a heartbeat. If Okung is not the apple of their eye, then they may be able to trade down a few places and still get Asamoah and a Davis.

This calls to question Pasodoc's view of Scot. If Scot can't think on his feet during the draft and have alternative scenarios in mind then they stay where they are and draft BPA (not the end of the world this year). On the other hand, if he can be creative, this year could be special.

There seem to be more top (or near top) OL and DBs in this draft than usual, so I hope they get it right.

Does anyone know who the top offensive linemen in this year's draft will be?
99, not wanting to put too fine a point on this, BUT: we HAVE been taking our OGs in the 2nd , 3rd or 4th rds...and it shows it. As far as taking an OG in the first rd, where in the heck do you think the great OGs are if not in the 1st rd? As for money, hell what is a successful franchise worth vs a failed one, which is us at present? We go nowhere without a top flite OL. We need future all pro OLs, and whether they be OGs or OTs, who the heck cares? CAn they block? THAT is the question. And if you want a great one, you gotta take him early on. Clown's failed philosophy of not paying OGs and not drafting them in the first rd is a proven failure. He has not taken them early, being unwilling to pay them, and he has gotten what he has not paid for. A bunch of 2nd, 3rds or 4ths that CAN'T block. Not taking a great blocking OL, whether OG or OT, is a recipe and plan for disaster. It is what Clown has done, and it has failed...miserably.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
99, not wanting to put too fine a point on this, BUT: we HAVE been taking our OGs in the 2nd , 3rd or 4th rds...and it shows it. As far as taking an OG in the first rd, where in the heck do you think the great OGs are if not in the 1st rd? As for money, hell what is a successful franchise worth vs a failed one, which is us at present? We go nowhere without a top flite OL. We need future all pro OLs, and whether they be OGs or OTs, who the heck cares? CAn they block? THAT is the question. And if you want a great one, you gotta take him early on. Clown's failed philosophy of not paying OGs and not drafting them in the first rd is a proven failure. He has not taken them early, being unwilling to pay them, and he has gotten what he has not paid for. A bunch of 2nd, 3rds or 4ths that CAN'T block. Not taking a great blocking OL, whether OG or OT, is a recipe and plan for disaster. It is what Clown has done, and it has failed...miserably.

Great post as usual PD. More than any other year in recent memory I can't wait to see what positions MehCloughan addresses with the picks and cash available to him. After seeing his previous work it wouldn't suprise me to see him disregard the OL again though.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

oh im well aware 2nd round Guards have failed us.

i think rather than drafting one, just sign a proven guy. he will cost more, but he will be instant improvement for the line. we need more vets like Larry Allen. when he was here, our line was alot more solid, because he helped the other guys understand how it all worked, and how to be great. since he left our OL went right back into the toilet.
  • nooj
  • Veteran
Does anyone know the average time our qbs have had to throw this season? Counting average seconds on 3-step, 5-step drops?

And maybe some comparisons with other teams with similar offensive schemes?
99, your point is well taken, but let's just look at our most recent chance to FA an all pro OG. Faneca FAed, we didn't give him a sniff. He goes to a team that gobbles him up and what happens? They suddenly lead the league in rushing. Our lackluster GM didn't even give Faneca a thot, and why? "Because he can ALWAYS pick up a good OG in the 2nd to 4th rds". Right, scot. With an attitude like that, i can't wait to see scot leave. Incidentally, once Faneca left, his team couldn't block all that well. Surprised? I don't think so. I still feel if we can take 2 OLs in rd 1 and draft an all pro OL in FA, this team will have unlimited upside. Our qB could "suddenly" become one of the best top half dozen, our receivers could become some of the best, our running game could return as a real threat, and the D will get some well deserved rest. All we need is to seriously fix the OL. But that is going to take some real guts and smarts on Clown's part, and much as i want him to fix this team, i just don't think he has it in him to devote both our first rd picks to OL, nor do i see him paying top $ for an all pro OL in FA.

I would love nothing better than to be proven wrong.
Share 49ersWebzone