Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by Slippy509:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
again 8-8 is what i predicted before the season even started because this is pretty much the same team as last year. McClueless needs to start gettin some impact players in free agency and the draft, the niners got the cap room to do it.

McClueless needs to fix the damn OLine problem. This team will always have an offense that sucks until that OLine is fixed.

no doubt oline is on top of the list aswell as joe haden

If we can't get Berry(with probably won't happen) I say bring in a play maker at CB. Move Clements to FS. Starting DB line up

CB: Spencer/??
Safety: Goldson/Clements

Clements needs to play CB. 2 reasons, he is still good and he makes too much to be a safety. Plus, Very few have actually made that transition successful. Rod woodson to name one. Even charles woodson had to move back to corner.
AS far as I know harris will be back next year and maybe bly if we want him. Our corners are better than most teams out there. We need to draft a top tier safety! and there are a couple. We should be in position to get one.

the only safety the team should even consider drafting is Berry, and there is no way he falls to us in the draft.

What about Mays? I think he could do just fine.

Mays has absolutely no ball skill, he is a glorified hitter better suited to playing OLB than safety. He is big and fast, but lacks the skills you want to see in a NFL safety, can you say Roy Williams all over again?

Roy williams is a replay of leroy butler, he played in the box his whole career in college, and anyone in the draft can have shortcomings! U said it BIG and FAST, Roy does not have 4.28 speed!

4.28 speed means nothing when you cannot cover. We need a FS anyways, Goldson can move over to SS and is probably better suited to play there. We need another playmaker in the secondary, not a over hyped hitter with below average cover skills. If Berry is not on the board, the kid from Clemson would work.

I agree with speed does not translate to cover, but he is not being asked to be a corner, he is a safety and there arent too many with great cover skills anyway. Look at troy or ed. They are not known for their cover ability. They just dont miss gaps in the secondary. I brought up the speed because u compared him to Roy. As a safety u need to hit and not get beat deep. BIG and FAST can do that.

Troy and Ed are two of the best cover safeties in the league. Mays is nowhere near either of them in ability, not to mention he needs to learn how to wrap up when he hits someone. Hitting is overrated anyways, I would rather see a guy tackle than hit someone and bounce off of them because he didn't wrap up. If we could land a FA olineman that was good, I would trade up for Berry, he is exactly what we need in the secondary. If you like hitting, Berry can do it every bit as good as Mays and makes more tackles, is a ballhawk, and averages 40+ yards a return on interceptions.
Before the season most people on here said 9ers will be 9-7 or better and will win the division. Then how the hell does "played as expected" get 65 % of the votes after another playoff-less season?
Optomistically I hoped for 10-6, but I figured realistically between 9-7/7-9. That's probably where we're going to end up. This team still has some holes. The fact we were in some of those road games vs tough teams is encouraging.
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for 9inermaniac.
We got rid of TBC who has 8.5 sacks on the season and during his stint with us he hever got more than 5. Who made that decision?
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:
We got rid of TBC who has 8.5 sacks on the season and during his stint with us he hever got more than 5. Who made that decision?

oh MAN come on. it's a product of the scheme. he did well in NE before also -- he just didn't produce in SF. not to mention we didn't know if we were 3-4 or 4-3 under nolan so how is a player supposed to play his true position if he's always transitioning between two hybrid defenses. TBC? come on...
[ Edited by chico49erfan on Dec 22, 2009 at 7:05 PM ]
Originally posted by 9inermaniac:

Okkkkkkkkaaayyy......
  • Slippy509
  • Info N/A
again 8-8 is what i predicted before the season even started because this is pretty much the same team as last year. McClueless needs to start gettin some impact players in free agency and the draft, the niners got the cap room to do it.

McClueless needs to fix the damn OLine problem. This team will always have an offense that sucks until that OLine is fixed.

no doubt oline is on top of the list aswell as joe haden

If we can't get Berry(with probably won't happen) I say bring in a play maker at CB. Move Clements to FS. Starting DB line up

CB: Spencer/??
Safety: Goldson/Clements

Clements needs to play CB. 2 reasons, he is still good and he makes too much to be a safety. Plus, Very few have actually made that transition successful. Rod woodson to name one. Even charles woodson had to move back to corner.
AS far as I know harris will be back next year and maybe bly if we want him. Our corners are better than most teams out there. We need to draft a top tier safety! and there are a couple. We should be in position to get one.

the only safety the team should even consider drafting is Berry, and there is no way he falls to us in the draft.

What about Mays? I think he could do just fine.

Mays has absolutely no ball skill, he is a glorified hitter better suited to playing OLB than safety. He is big and fast, but lacks the skills you want to see in a NFL safety, can you say Roy Williams all over again?

Roy williams is a replay of leroy butler, he played in the box his whole career in college, and anyone in the draft can have shortcomings! U said it BIG and FAST, Roy does not have 4.28 speed!

4.28 speed means nothing when you cannot cover. We need a FS anyways, Goldson can move over to SS and is probably better suited to play there. We need another playmaker in the secondary, not a over hyped hitter with below average cover skills. If Berry is not on the board, the kid from Clemson would work.

I agree with speed does not translate to cover, but he is not being asked to be a corner, he is a safety and there arent too many with great cover skills anyway. Look at troy or ed. They are not known for their cover ability. They just dont miss gaps in the secondary. I brought up the speed because u compared him to Roy. As a safety u need to hit and not get beat deep. BIG and FAST can do that.

Troy and Ed are two of the best cover safeties in the league. Mays is nowhere near either of them in ability, not to mention he needs to learn how to wrap up when he hits someone. Hitting is overrated anyways, I would rather see a guy tackle than hit someone and bounce off of them because he didn't wrap up. If we could land a FA olineman that was good, I would trade up for Berry, he is exactly what we need in the secondary. If you like hitting, Berry can do it every bit as good as Mays and makes more tackles, is a ballhawk, and averages 40+ yards a return on interceptions.

I know they are some of the best but that is not what makes them the best. They can read offenses very well and put themselves in position. As far as hitting, I again agree that big hits are overated, but you cant put a less physical player up in the box and expect to help on run. U put clements in that position and he doesnt last 5 games. He will get injured fast. As far as Berry, I agree with an earlier assessment, he will not fall to us, and I dont like trading up for him. It would cost too much. We are sitting well in this years draft.
Share 49ersWebzone