LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 239 users in the forums

What have the Niners done this season

Shop Find 49ers gear online

What have the Niners done this season

Lots of talk and hand wringing, plenty of love and hate to go around on this board, So sports fans, what do you think we have seen this season.
Underachieved

lost so many games we should have won
With a chance to get to .500, after quite a few close losses this year, I'd say they're pretty much right where they should be.
Wasted a year of our lives.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
With a chance to get to .500, after quite a few close losses this year, I'd say they're pretty much right where they should be.

Not too many people predicted better than 8-8. If they don't win both of the next two, they will have underachieved. If they win them the record will be about as expected.
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Underachieved

lost so many games we should have won

Hmmm. That could also point to overachieving.
I'd have to say underachieved . . . even though we're two or three plays from being 8-6 here in week 14 with a shot at 10 wins and a playoff birth. Manny gets to Favre a split second earlier in Minnesota, a Bly pick in Indy, or a VD catch in Seattle and we all may be looking at things differently today. But close only counts with horseshoes and hand grenades.

Every man on the Niner roster will hopefully drive themselves crazy this offseason thinking about 2009's missed opportunities and how to finish games in 2010.
Failed us again as fans
  • krizay
  • Veteran

i'm dumbfounded by the current results of this poll. 65% voted played as a expected? All this "playoff" talk and "stop being negative nancies" and "haters". Now all of a sudden people want to be realistic.

Hopefully this carries over and next year we won't have to read all the "you're not a real fan" threads from you turncoats.
Anybody who believed that the niners are better than an 8-8 team is fooling himself. I looked at the schedule before the season and calculated that the team was about an 8-8 team. The 49ers had an extremely difficult schedule this year. They played 4 division leaders away from home. The only games the 49ers played so far against non-playoff teams are as follows: Tennessee, Houston, Rams, Seattle (twice), Chicago, Atlanta, Jacksonville. Of those, only four have been eliminated - Seattle, Atlanta, Chicago, Rams. I dont think this team has underachieved, but they have not overachieved either. Expectations will be high next year. They will need to do better than 1-6 away from home.

Originally posted by Gavintech:

Not too many people predicted better than 8-8. If they don't win both of the next two, they will have underachieved. If they win them the record will be about as expected.

Agreed.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gavintech:

91% of the PYMWYMI posters voted 9 wins or more. Albeit only 193 posters.
If they finish 8-8 that is about where I expected. It takes longer to build a team from scratch than some folks here realize. We were an expansion team in '05, no top level talent, and coaches that bailed on us year after year. We have to get some continuity going to ever be good again, otherwise we will end up being the Lions/Raiders. The idea that a rookie coach was going to come in here with an OC in his first year here and a QB that throws punts and lead us to the playoffs is crazy. You knee jerk reactionists just need to calm yourselves down and quit freaking out, it makes you look like silly little girls. It sucks no playoffs this year, but the team is only going to get better. Take your Ritalin and have a time out, and most importantly, realize that we have had 8 OC's in 8 years and that is not good for a young team trying to build an identity. If we fix the offensive line, a punt/kick returner and get a safety that can actually cover, you will be amazed how much better this team will be.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Take your Ritalin and have a time out...

That sounds like something I'd say.
Share 49ersWebzone