There are 249 users in the forums

Owner/Management Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Owner/Management Thread

Yes but they won't.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by English:
No.

I don't see them as being the problem. For NT they are just convenient whipping boys after losses and they get forgotten after wins.

Coming into this decade (when the Yorks took over) the Niners were in bad shape. The salary cap situation was about as bad as it could be. There was one year when the Niners were paying more to players no longer on the roster then the one's that were. But given a bad situation, the Yorks made it worse through two disastrous decisions: Donahue and Nolan. How could a guy who had never been more than an assistant coach be made head coach and general manager? How? Both Donahue and Nolan were able to persuade the Yorks to hang onto them when it should have been clear that these men were not competent to do the job they were being paid for. There has to be some concern about the judgement at the top.

I'm not counting the good doctors impulsive decision to fire Mariucci because I don't think Steve could have won with the teams the Niners fielded after 2002. Also, I could add how Dr. York changed the perception of Niners as a first-class organization with such petty things such as his highly public cost-saving measures like putting a lock around the freezer were the players got their gatorade.

Maybe Jed can do better. I'm not sure he can't. He seems to have a passion for it which already puts him way ahead of his father in my opinion. Get the stadium deal done. Keep the Niners in the Bay Area. Get the organization straightened and keep the team competitive year in and year out. Throw in a Super Bowl or two would be nice. I'm willing to wait and see before I form a definative opinion on young Mr. York.

I don't entirely disagree with what you say, but when you mention Donahue and Nolan as two huge mistakes, that is a hindsight call. Nolan seemed a good shot at the time, and to be fair he started the rebuild. His player development skills were dismal, though.

And whilst I would agree in retrospect that TDon was appalling, he was recommended by Bill Walsh. Sorry, but can you blame the owners for followinng the advice of such a man?

I think not.
  • MonkeyButton
  • Info N/A
Yes!

My cat makes better decisions than the Yorks!
Originally posted by BHulman:
No.

I don't see them as being the problem. For NT they are just convenient whipping boys after losses and they get forgotten after wins.

Coming into this decade (when the Yorks took over) the Niners were in bad shape. The salary cap situation was about as bad as it could be. There was one year when the Niners were paying more to players no longer on the roster then the one's that were. But given a bad situation, the Yorks made it worse through two disastrous decisions: Donahue and Nolan. How could a guy who had never been more than an assistant coach be made head coach and general manager? How? Both Donahue and Nolan were able to persuade the Yorks to hang onto them when it should have been clear that these men were not competent to do the job they were being paid for. There has to be some concern about the judgement at the top.

I'm not counting the good doctors impulsive decision to fire Mariucci because I don't think Steve could have won with the teams the Niners fielded after 2002. Also, I could add how Dr. York changed the perception of Niners as a first-class organization with such petty things such as his highly public cost-saving measures like putting a lock around the freezer were the players got their gatorade.

Maybe Jed can do better. I'm not sure he can't. He seems to have a passion for it which already puts him way ahead of his father in my opinion. Get the stadium deal done. Keep the Niners in the Bay Area. Get the organization straightened and keep the team competitive year in and year out. Throw in a Super Bowl or two would be nice. I'm willing to wait and see before I form a definative opinion on young Mr. York.

I don't entirely disagree with what you say, but when you mention Donahue and Nolan as two huge mistakes, that is a hindsight call. Nolan seemed a good shot at the time, and to be fair he started the rebuild. His player development skills were dismal, though.

And whilst I would agree in retrospect that TDon was appalling, he was recommended by Bill Walsh. Sorry, but can you blame the owners for followinng the advice of such a man?

I think not.

Your right. It is easy to point out mistakes after they have been made evident. My main problem though is that they didn't fire either one of those men when it should have been clear that they were not the men the for the job. As I stated above, both seemed able to persuade the Yorks, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, to stay the course. These decisions set the Niners back.
Only if Eddie Debartolo can take over again........... Since he was kicked out, the franchise has never been the same........
Originally posted by IDontGetNaked:
Yes.

SEVEN losing seasons in a row. We should just forget the 5 Super Bowls of prior, it's a disgrace to the past when anyone even mentions them.

We've got a chance to go 8-8 this year. That would mean it wouldn't be a losing season.

I think Jed is doing a good job in his first year with the team. I'd rather have fans like you leave the team then Jed York.
No.

Thou shalt not be an enabler.
anal.
Yes we can!

Change we need!

I haven't heard of this before. Can we actually make them sell the team? Wow. I have about $60 in my wallet. That should be enough to buy this motley crew.

why would anyone want ownership of this team?

even if the Yorks wanted to sell, i don't think anyone would want to buy close to a decade's worth of fail
Sure, I'll sell the team..........

...to CHRIS COHAN!
Make it stop
Originally posted by znk916:
why would anyone want ownership of this team?

even if the Yorks wanted to sell, i don't think anyone would want to buy close to a decade's worth of fail

Steve Young and Brent Jones had a group all ready to buy them not that long ago. Trust me, there are TONS of very rich, capable people out there that would jump at owning an NFL franchise.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:
I haven't heard of this before. Can we actually make them sell the team? Wow. I have about $60 in my wallet. That should be enough to buy this motley crew.

You can make them sell the team if you hit them where it hurts. If people stop buying tickets and merchandise, they'll rethink their cheap business model. Next years pending work stoppage will only help in this regard.

Of course the big thing on the horizon is the new stadium. That deal would have to fall apart for them to sell. Hopefully they run into the same types of hurdles Lew Wolff has while trying to build in California. I think the biggest problem is that this thing is now Jed's toy. Its gonna take a lot of problems and headaches for him to want to get rid of the team.
Share 49ersWebzone