LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 266 users in the forums

Adrian Peterson: I'd like to have Patrick Willis on my team

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
If AP wanted Willis on his team, he should become a 49er! I wouldn't mind. Peterson and Gore, FTW.

Haha.. u have good questions this!!

yuuup
Originally posted by Conejo:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Nes49:
I would like Adrian Peterson on our team

If the line performs the same as it has for Frank Gore, Peterson would do no better.

oh son, you had to go there didn't you?

Peterson >>> Gore, and I LOVE Frank.

To begin with AP has the ability to run both inside and outside unlike Gore who's only really effective between the tackles. AP's field vision is also significantly better, he's able to see the hole's better and makes better decisions with direction as a result. Granted, his running highlights look great because the Vikings' line opens some nice gaps, but Gore wouldn't have AP's numbers if he played in Minny.

So let's not get carried away. Please.

Gore is arguably a top-10 back in this league.

Peterson is one of the top-3 backs in the NFL.

Peterson has rare talent but I think the divide between him and Gore is smaller than people think. The Viking's line is simply one of the best run-blocking lines in the league and it is madness to think that Gore could not put up numbers comparable to Peterson when he already does so with a less talented supporting cast.

Gore's career carry average is 4.8 and AP's is 4.9 a tenth of a yard difference separates them per carry. This season Gore is averaging 5.4 compared to AP's 4.5. The naysayers will say this is because of Gore's long runs but AP has long runs inflating his stats as well. In terms of combined rushing and receiving yards per game AP averages 116.6 yards a game to Gore's 111.5 (I ruled out Gore's rookie season as Barlow was the starter back then). Peterson has been good for essentially 5 more yards a game than Gore.

Gore is a much better blocker and receiver than AP who is often taken out of the game in favor of Chester Taylor on passing situations to either block or make catches out of the backfield. Add in the fact that AP has had problems holding onto the ball(5 fumbles lost this year) and you have a guy who I think is a bit overrated as an all-around back. Yes, AP is hands-down better than Gore as a rusher but the difference in overall output between them is not as great as it's made out to be.

Would AP's numbers be much greater if he were on the 49ers? I don't think so, I think he might find the end zone slightly more than Gore does and he'd be especially happy to not face Patrick Willis, but he would suffer from our poor blocking and our tendency to be play from behind. On the other side, I think Gore would naturally have much more yardage if he were on the Vikings simply because he'd be getting more touches. I think Gore could match or possibly surpass AP's combined yardage totals.
Originally posted by collinzio:

If the line performs the same as it has for Frank Gore, Peterson would do no better.

To begin with AP has the ability to run both inside and outside unlike Gore who's only really effective between the tackles. AP's field vision is also significantly better, he's able to see the hole's better and makes better decisions with direction as a result. Granted, his running highlights look great because the Vikings' line opens some nice gaps, but Gore wouldn't have AP's numbers if he played in Minny.

Peterson has rare talent but I think the divide between him and Gore is smaller than people think. The Viking's line is simply one of the best run-blocking lines in the league and it is madness to think that Gore could not put up numbers comparable to Peterson when he already does so with a less talented supporting cast.

Gore's career carry average is 4.8 and AP's is 4.9 a tenth of a yard difference separates them per carry. This season Gore is averaging 5.4 compared to AP's 4.5. The naysayers will say this is because of Gore's long runs but AP has long runs inflating his stats as well. In terms of combined rushing and receiving yards per game AP averages 116.6 yards a game to Gore's 111.5 (I ruled out Gore's rookie season as Barlow was the starter back then). Peterson has been good for essentially 5 more yards a game than Gore.

Gore is a much better blocker and receiver than AP who is often taken out of the game in favor of Chester Taylor on passing situations to either block or make catches out of the backfield. Add in the fact that AP has had problems holding onto the ball(5 fumbles lost this year) and you have a guy who I think is a bit overrated as an all-around back. Yes, AP is hands-down better than Gore as a rusher but the difference in overall output between them is not as great as it's made out to be.

Would AP's numbers be much greater if he were on the 49ers? I don't think so, I think he might find the end zone slightly more than Gore does and he'd be especially happy to not face Patrick Willis, but he would suffer from our poor blocking and our tendency to be play from behind. On the other side, I think Gore would naturally have much more yardage if he were on the Vikings simply because he'd be getting more touches. I think Gore could match or possibly surpass AP's combined yardage totals.

I didnt know that. Thats really impressive. Although Gore's extra year or so also help his cause. That being said...anyone who says AP's vision is significantly better than Gore's isnt really checking otu Gore's runs. He sets up his blockers very well. and this guy is what 5'9? he comes out behind mammoth linemen and he gets to the second level and breaks that long run more often than not. AP is faster than Gore. and hes more elusive but in terms of vision and those nifty cuts i dunno whos out there better than Gore hands down.
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame

Wow, really interesting post.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Yeah, no sh!t. And I'd like to have air in my lungs, and food in my stomach.
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by KevinBarlow:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
In a recent interview, Jesus said he doesn't like playing against Patrick Willis and would preferred Willis to be on his team.

So did Muhammad. Can you imagine Muhammad, Willis, and Jesus on our team?

QB: Jesus/Smith/Hill
RB: Gore
FB: Norris
TE: Davis
WR: Crabtree
WR: Muhammad

That would be AWEEEESOME!!

I also forgot, throw in Hanuman (Indian god) at Free Safety, and you got yourself the best FS in football. He's got 4 arms! Imagine the INTs! It's 4 more arms than what Mark Roman has!

All that is well and good, but the real testament is that CHUCK NORRIS said he'd want Willis on his team and would be scared to play against him!
Originally posted by area49:
In a recent interview with Peter King for digg.com, Adrian Peterson said that, of all the players in the NFL not currently on the Vikings, he'd want Patrick Willis on his team.

Here's the interview. It's about 2 minutes in.

http://digg.com/dialogg/Adrian_Peterson_1

i would not.
Originally posted by ruthless49er:

I didnt know that. Thats really impressive. Although Gore's extra year or so also help his cause.

why would gore's extra year help him out here? he was talking about a per game average. it is going to be the same whether you have played 10 games or a 100 games.
  • Luca
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
Willis is the best in the game

I want him to be a niner forever

Amen to that.

He fumbles a lot..

Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by ruthless49er:

I didnt know that. Thats really impressive. Although Gore's extra year or so also help his cause.

why would gore's extra year help him out here? he was talking about a per game average. it is going to be the same whether you have played 10 games or a 100 games.

actually no. if you played 100 games you have more chances to push that per game average up. Thats why people dont compare Gore's average to say Emmit Smith's because Emmit Smith has accomplished more. What im trying to say is Gore has more body of work. AP with four years in the league could push his average up a couple of points more than Gore or it could drop.
Originally posted by teeohh:
Willis is the best in the game

I want him to be a niner forever

Originally posted by DaveWilcox:

He fumbles a lot..

Didnt gore use to have fumbling problems a couple years ago?
Originally posted by marshniners24:

He fumbles a lot..

I don't think they are fully solved yet.

BTW chester taylor is a free agent after this season, would he be a good pick up to go along with gore?
Originally posted by marshniners24:

He fumbles a lot..

check the second sea-hawks game, gore still fumble inside the 20 even if it's ours or there's!
Share 49ersWebzone