LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 376 users in the forums

smith @ end of game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I see what youre saying but why didn't you make this thread about Davis or Crabtree? I mean honestly at what point do we hold other accountable to? Alex pretty much led us on a great 90+ yard game winning drive only to be let down by VD and Crabtree. It's a whole different level of play and mentality when you're driving with 3 min vs 48 seconds. And the play call on 3rd and 3 at the end was just plain retarded. If there was ever a time for our conservaball 3 yards and a cloud of dust that was the time.

Alex Smith and Patrick Willis were the only ones that showed up today.

. . . and if Gore does not fumble on the long drive, we win the game and Smith is the hero.

There you go. Alex leads us twice to potential victory but Frank fvcks up, then VD, then Crabs. Then we expect Smith to just win it with 50 seconds left. And why we throw deep on 3rd and 3 is beyond me. I guess the only "knock" on Alex would be he should have said fvck Raye and ran for 3 yards on that play.

I guess Tom Brady lost the game today for his team too. You know guys, sometime a QB can really only do so much. Sure Montana was a great closer but even he couldn't always pull off a miracle.

Gore. WTF?
Hell if they kick that fieldgoal in the first quarter instead of going for it on fourth down they atleast tie the game, and possibly game changing momentum. But who knows hindsight is twenty-twenty isnt that what they say.
Hasselback did it today with 30 seconds left
Originally posted by filthydogma:
Hell if they kick that fieldgoal in the first quarter instead of going for it on fourth down they atleast tie the game, and possibly game changing momentum. But who knows hindsight is twenty-twenty isnt that what they say.

or..

if the ref was wearing his glasses we get a new set of downs and 3 more tries for a TD.
No doubt in my mind Alex Smith is our man for the future. -He's been throwing really gorgeous passes, and with the horrible field position Alex had to work with he didn't panic once/throw anything that entire game which could have led to an interception.

Our season is shot and there are no positives, but just imagine Alex Smith getting an ENTIRE training camp to himself with that offense under 'spread-formation' focus, and hopefully some first round linemen surrounding the pocket... something good could possibly be on the horizon finally.

No doubt in my mind Kurt Warner is finished after this season, and possibly Hassleback. -The 49ers might be the only team in the NFC West in 2010 with a consistent head start at the QB position. 2010 is going to be a huge transition for many teams across the league, and we have a lot in our favor right now than people may think in terms of off-season decision-making.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by danimal:
Absolutely.

This thread is not about "blame"

It is about accurately labeling your players.

Alex Smith will not be a great QB. When you need him to overcome other peoples mistakes and save the game for you......7 times out of 10 he is not going to get it done.

So its his fault the GW TD was dropped

Oh boy

Are you hard of reading?
How many times does he have to do that, though?

The first mistake is Delanie Walker's drop in the endzone. So, Alex tried to make up for it by throwing a PERFECT strike to Vernon Davis. Drop. So, Alex tries AGAIN, and throws again, a perfectly catchable pass to Michael Crabtree, who decides to duck the ball.

At what point do you say that he did his best to overcome other's mistakes, but there were too many to overcome?
crap, i didnt know this one game would decide what Smith can and cant be for his entire NFL career?

when did all that get decided? guess we have to go get a new QB. screw career days. he didnt turn into peyton manning on the final drive.

Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
No doubt in my mind Alex Smith is our man for the future. -He's been throwing really gorgeous passes, and with the horrible field position Alex had to work with he didn't panic once/throw anything that entire game which could have led to an interception.

Our season is shot and there are no positives, but just imagine Alex Smith getting an ENTIRE training camp to himself with that offense under 'spread-formation' focus, and hopefully some first round linemen surrounding the pocket... something good could possibly be on the horizon finally.

No doubt in my mind Kurt Warner is finished after this season, and possibly Hassleback. -The 49ers might be the only team in the NFC West in 2010 with a consistent head start at the QB position. 2010 is going to be a huge transition for many teams across the league, and we have a lot in our favor right now than people may think in terms of off-season decision-making.

Our season IS shot but there are a TON of positives. Sometimes mistakes and miscues pay off dividends down the road. This year this team has found a lot of different ways to lose. We've had a ton of bad luck and some growing pains switching to a new style of play.

Smith said that he didn't feel the need to gun it on that last drive with 51 left. He said he wishes he could have made better throws at the end. Hindsight is 20 20 and I don't think he or any of us thought the Hawks would move into field goal range at the end of the game with 21 seconds left.
Originally posted by ninersush:
let me first say this is not to bash/luv on anyone. i would just like to see if anyone's thoughts are similar to mine or why not.

smith played a great game today for the most part. the drops/fumbles/coaching (3 TOs in Q1 amongst other things) killed us.

yet in the end we had the ball tied with about 50 secs to go. everyone was expecting smith would drive us down for a game winning score (FG or TD).

this is when a good qb becomes great. this is when leaders/winners are made. this is when u need ur qb to win the game.

however, alex had his 2 worst plays at that point. very disappointing.

and at this point you forget all the mistakes that have happened to this point. all the other stuff. all that matters is scoring. somehow. someway. and it didn't happen.

so i'm left to think that alex is good but not great. i don't if it is something that he can learn....that is being clutch in critical moments or is it something you just have.

but i personally came away very disappointed in how alex played on the 2 most crucial downs and have lost some faith in him.

so can he learn to finish or is it curtains for smith? lets keep this a respectable discussion folks.

I'd like to say he did do that. Davis dropped the td. Crab tree got laid out ball was the only place it could be right over the shoulder of the db and away from the safety. Personally the best game i've seen from any niner qb in the last 10 years. Give me OSU All american line men. and sign me up for 8-8 next season!
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
I see what youre saying but why didn't you make this thread about Davis or Crabtree? I mean honestly at what point do we hold other accountable to? Alex pretty much led us on a great 90+ yard game winning drive only to be let down by VD and Crabtree. It's a whole different level of play and mentality when you're driving with 3 min vs 48 seconds. And the play call on 3rd and 3 at the end was just plain retarded. If there was ever a time for our conservaball 3 yards and a cloud of dust that was the time.

Alex Smith and Patrick Willis were the only ones that showed up today.

. . . and if Gore does not fumble on the long drive, we win the game and Smith is the hero.

I have a REAL hard time blaming Frank here. Cause it happened FAST. He's running gets one leg wrapped in a really odd form his knee couldn't even touch the ground that's how weird it was. And then BAM from behind it got punched out of there. He didn't even have time to cover it with both arms and wrap it up.

So nope can't blame Frank. Especially when the Refs screwed us so many damn times.

The blatant 7 points or the the Blatant Safety and the possession resulting from that. It your choice as to which hurt more. Personally I think the Safety hurt us more cause that would have been a HUGE dagger in that Offense if he got the Safety on em an then had another shot at it. That Defense would have been gassed too.

~Ceadder

We lost that game because gore put the ball on the turf simple. Were not a good enough team to over come are own mistakes. Until are d can create more turnovers themselves. I no gore was fighting for more yards but sometimes i wish he just go down. I'm not going to fault the man for being such a tough sob.
Originally posted by Spoonerism:

Our season IS shot but there are a TON of positives. Sometimes mistakes and miscues pay off dividends down the road. This year this team has found a lot of different ways to lose. We've had a ton of bad luck and some growing pains switching to a new style of play.

Smith said that he didn't feel the need to gun it on that last drive with 51 left. He said he wishes he could have made better throws at the end. Hindsight is 20 20 and I don't think he or any of us thought the Hawks would move into field goal range at the end of the game with 21 seconds left.

Shoot I think the Refs would have given the Seahawks a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGE spot if they didn't get down there within 10 seconds.

That guy SO pushed off it wasn't funny. I was hoppin mad at that point cause I saw it an was like no way they let something that BLATANT go. Yeah right they don't.

~Ceadder
We lost the game because of a lot of reasons. It was a collection of reasons. You can't say it was JUST because of this or we WOULD have won if not for that. Gore did fumble but he is also huge in pass protection. He had an off day catching but no one can run behind this line. Go ahead and find me a better blocking RB in the NFL. Some of you guys are like Quakers hunting witches. Just shut up already.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

Shoot I think the Refs would have given the Seahawks a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGE spot if they didn't get down there within 10 seconds.

That guy SO pushed off it wasn't funny. I was hoppin mad at that point cause I saw it an was like no way they let something that BLATANT go. Yeah right they don't.

~Ceadder

Ref's were horrible. The Brandon jones play he hardly touched the guy. Then you go back and make a horrible call because the cb caught crab tree's arm with his elbow and was playing the ball.

lol almost threw something at my computer, because i thought they blew the holding call on manny i was screaming he released manny released manny released.

also the shot on alex should have been called for roughing the passer there going to get him killed out there if it was brady you see a flag.
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:

~Ceadder

Ref's were horrible. The Brandon jones play he hardly touched the guy. Then you go back and make a horrible call because the cb caught crab tree's arm with his elbow and was playing the ball.

lol almost threw something at my computer, because i thought they blew the holding call on manny i was screaming he released manny released manny released.

also the shot on alex should have been called for roughing the passer there going to get him killed out there if it was brady you see a flag.

Yeah, normally I don't pay too much attention to the officiating but this game is the worst I think I've ever seen. Maybe Hass paid them a dollar?
Share 49ersWebzone