There are 694 users in the forums
smith @ end of game
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM
- grizzlyadams
- Veteran
- Posts: 5,674
Stupid thread!
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:00 PM
- ClassicNiner
- Veteran
- Posts: 827
Originally posted by Chico:Originally posted by ClassicNiner:Originally posted by Chico:
this is a valid point. I like Alex but he needs to close these games when the game is on the line. He has failed too may times. He had time against the Texans and failed, he had time today twice and failed. Frank failed, VD failed, Crabs failed... this team has let me down too many times this year.
Sorry, but that's total crap. He closed the game twice, once when he bounced the winning TD off Vernon's helmet and once when he lead a drive from his 1 yard line to Seattle's 20, where Frank fumbled. He also lead them down the field for a tying TD.
And against Houston he came in at 1/2 time, down 3 TD's.
This is a team game. Maybe you should pay a bit of attention to the other players.
Then why is it that JOE always won these games?
Obviously, cause Joe had a great team behind him. Don't you remember?
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:06 PM
- qnnhan7
- Veteran
- Posts: 35,181
Originally posted by ninersush:Originally posted by qnnhan7:Originally posted by danimal:
So how many 4th QTR comeback wins does Alex Smith have? 1? 2? maybe 3? maybe none?
How many opportunities has he had in his career? 10? 15?
Now you can look at each of those failed comebacks and argue he was not the primary reason we lost.
But at some point you have to look at the entire set don't ya?
At some point you have to look at the entire team and not depend on one or two players to make the play. Your attention on Smith at this point in his second time around is too critical and missed the team's other inadequacy.
you make a very fair point. perhaps i'm being too critical of smith. he has shown remarkable growth/progress. no one can dismiss his progress this year. and this game was put squarely on alex and he did hold up his end of the bargain. so i can only hope that all the pieces around him continue to improve as well as him. and that the team can collectively learn to win games like this that they should have won.
Oops ! Misread please ignore

[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 6, 2009 at 20:08:20 ]
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM
- LambdaChi49
- Veteran
- Posts: 13,368
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:Originally posted by Chico:Originally posted by ClassicNiner:Originally posted by Chico:
this is a valid point. I like Alex but he needs to close these games when the game is on the line. He has failed too may times. He had time against the Texans and failed, he had time today twice and failed. Frank failed, VD failed, Crabs failed... this team has let me down too many times this year.
Sorry, but that's total crap. He closed the game twice, once when he bounced the winning TD off Vernon's helmet and once when he lead a drive from his 1 yard line to Seattle's 20, where Frank fumbled. He also lead them down the field for a tying TD.
And against Houston he came in at 1/2 time, down 3 TD's.
This is a team game. Maybe you should pay a bit of attention to the other players.
Then why is it that JOE always won these games?
Obviously, cause Joe had a great team behind him. Don't you remember?
Wow love the ridiculous double standards. When we compare Joes TEAM to Alexs team it's blasphemy. When Alexs TEAM can't close out games like this then it's ok to bring up Joe and compare him to Alex.
Wow. Bullsht double standard if I've ever seen one.
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM
- excelsior
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,432
I've been watching 49er football since before Joe Montana. And I think Alex is truly amazing! Despite all the hurdles placed in his path, it did not destroy him. He has persevered, matured and improved. Even still, he has to play with enormous handicaps that other good QBs of today do not have to deals with.
Alex plays behind a shaky OL that makes the OC go to the shotgun to allow him the extra second in which to function. Even today he was often throwing before he wanted to.
He continues to play with WRs and TEs that are still learning and that make too many route mistakes and drop too many passes.
Montana did have to operate in these conditions. I remember Taylor and Rice coming clean in the clutch and making unbelievable plays. I shudder to think how Montana have done today playing behind this line with these WRs.
One final point: Alex's critics used to foolishly believe that he was a bust and would never improve. Even they will have to admit they were wrong. He has improved beyond their wildest dreams.
And now they point to his mistakes today, and conclude he will never improve. He is young and will continue to improve. But it is up to the team to get him the tools to be great.
Alex plays behind a shaky OL that makes the OC go to the shotgun to allow him the extra second in which to function. Even today he was often throwing before he wanted to.
He continues to play with WRs and TEs that are still learning and that make too many route mistakes and drop too many passes.
Montana did have to operate in these conditions. I remember Taylor and Rice coming clean in the clutch and making unbelievable plays. I shudder to think how Montana have done today playing behind this line with these WRs.
One final point: Alex's critics used to foolishly believe that he was a bust and would never improve. Even they will have to admit they were wrong. He has improved beyond their wildest dreams.
And now they point to his mistakes today, and conclude he will never improve. He is young and will continue to improve. But it is up to the team to get him the tools to be great.
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:27 PM
- BHulman
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,338
Originally posted by danimal:
So how many 4th QTR comeback wins does Alex Smith have? 1? 2? maybe 3? maybe none?
How many opportunities has he had in his career? 10? 15?
Now you can look at each of those failed comebacks and argue he was not the primary reason we lost.
But at some point you have to look at the entire set don't ya?
15? You would have to document that.
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:30 PM
- ninersush
- Veteran
- Posts: 274
Originally posted by excelsior:
I've been watching 49er football since before Joe Montana. And I think Alex is truly amazing! Despite all the hurdles placed in his path, it did not destroy him. He has persevered, matured and improved. Even still, he has to play with enormous handicaps that other good QBs of today do not have to deals with.
Alex plays behind a shaky OL that makes the OC go to the shotgun to allow him the extra second in which to function. Even today he was often throwing before he wanted to.
He continues to play with WRs and TEs that are still learning and that make too many route mistakes and drop too many passes.
Montana did have to operate in these conditions. I remember Taylor and Rice coming clean in the clutch and making unbelievable plays. I shudder to think how Montana have done today playing behind this line with these WRs.
One final point: Alex's critics used to foolishly believe that he was a bust and would never improve. Even they will have to admit they were wrong. He has improved beyond their wildest dreams.
And now they point to his mistakes today, and conclude he will never improve. He is young and will continue to improve. But it is up to the team to get him the tools to be great.
i never called him a bust nor did i say he will never improve. i simply wanted to know if being clutch is something he can learn or not. but you are right he has played amazing given all the crap that has happened to him.
Dec 6, 2009 at 8:53 PM
- filthydogma
- Veteran
- Posts: 223
Originally posted by Chico:
this is a valid point. I like Alex but he needs to close these games when the game is on the line. He has failed too may times. He had time against the Texans and failed, he had time today twice and failed. Frank failed, VD failed, Crabs failed... this team has let me down too many times this year.
Too many times this decade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 6, 2009 at 9:06 PM
- DaveWilcox
- Veteran
- Posts: 3,717
Originally posted by Chico:
this is a valid point. I like Alex but he needs to close these games when the game is on the line. He has failed too may times. He had time against the Texans and failed, he had time today twice and failed. Frank failed, VD failed, Crabs failed... this team has let me down too many times this year.
You realize that you are a moron, right?
Dec 6, 2009 at 9:07 PM
- horsecore
- Veteran
- Posts: 4,280
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:Originally posted by Chico:
this is a valid point. I like Alex but he needs to close these games when the game is on the line. He has failed too may times. He had time against the Texans and failed, he had time today twice and failed. Frank failed, VD failed, Crabs failed... this team has let me down too many times this year.
You realize that you are a moron, right?

Thanks - I needed that.
Dec 6, 2009 at 9:11 PM
- CorvaNinerFan
- Veteran
- Posts: 10,448
This game can't be on Alex...Vernon had two TD dtops...we coughed it up twice and "hawks scored 10 pts. They coughed it up and we got zippo...ST's and defense didn't do their jobs at key spots.
Dec 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM
- GoldenBear
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,236
I love it. I hate that we lost the game, but It seems that we have our QB. I absolutely love it. I have all of Smiths rookie cards, and two jerseys. I have been defending the kid since the day we drafted him. I catch hell from my friends and I tell them "Give him a chance and watch". I was so frustrated I just text my buddy-
"I'm done, the season is over."
He is a Charger fan, and is a Niner hater for the last 13 years, just to give me a hard time. He never gives the Niners any credit. He always jokes about my QB having small hands. This was his reply:
"I know it sucks, I get frustrated when my team isnt winning. But Vernon is coming around and Willis is a badass. And Alex is looking like he is gonna be okay. You got your QB. Dude, ur drafting well and its only a matter of time."
He is right. I know it sucks. I live and breath for this team, but we have some good things going for us. Not a Mike Nolan "we have a plan" thing, but a real good core. We always say "next year will be it, but come on guys. We haven't been this set up in a long time.
Look at all the Alex Smith love on the Zone.
I never thought this time would come. I absolutely love it.
I almost forgot.. 2 1st round Draft Picks.
JQ
"I'm done, the season is over."
He is a Charger fan, and is a Niner hater for the last 13 years, just to give me a hard time. He never gives the Niners any credit. He always jokes about my QB having small hands. This was his reply:
"I know it sucks, I get frustrated when my team isnt winning. But Vernon is coming around and Willis is a badass. And Alex is looking like he is gonna be okay. You got your QB. Dude, ur drafting well and its only a matter of time."
He is right. I know it sucks. I live and breath for this team, but we have some good things going for us. Not a Mike Nolan "we have a plan" thing, but a real good core. We always say "next year will be it, but come on guys. We haven't been this set up in a long time.
Look at all the Alex Smith love on the Zone.
I never thought this time would come. I absolutely love it.
I almost forgot.. 2 1st round Draft Picks.
JQ
Dec 6, 2009 at 11:43 PM
- susweel
- Hall of Nepal
- Posts: 122,136
Why the f**k would he throw bomb on 3 and 4. Just get the first down and giver yourself a chance. Instead he throws into double coverage. It should have been a pick. Noway should the seahawks gotten the ball back in fourth qtr, if anything just go to over time.
Alex had a good game, but once again he failed with the game on the line.
Alex had a good game, but once again he failed with the game on the line.
Dec 6, 2009 at 11:46 PM
- jdt84_2
- Veteran
- Posts: 25,978
Originally posted by susweel:
Why the f**k would he throw bomb on 3 and 4. Just get the first down and giver yourself a chance. Instead he throws into double coverage. It should have been a pick. Noway should the seahawks gotten the ball back in fourth qtr, if anything just go to over time.
Alex had a good game, but once again he failed with the game on the line.
this was discussed. everybody ran a deep route. if you look there was actually a WR about 10-15 yards ahead of morgan.
Dec 6, 2009 at 11:55 PM
- ginseng1000
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,146
Originally posted by ninersush:
let me first say this is not to bash/luv on anyone. i would just like to see if anyone's thoughts are similar to mine or why not.
smith played a great game today for the most part. the drops/fumbles/coaching (3 TOs in Q1 amongst other things) killed us.
yet in the end we had the ball tied with about 50 secs to go. everyone was expecting smith would drive us down for a game winning score (FG or TD).
this is when a good qb becomes great. this is when leaders/winners are made. this is when u need ur qb to win the game.
however, alex had his 2 worst plays at that point. very disappointing.
and at this point you forget all the mistakes that have happened to this point. all the other stuff. all that matters is scoring. somehow. someway. and it didn't happen.
so i'm left to think that alex is good but not great. i don't if it is something that he can learn....that is being clutch in critical moments or is it something you just have.
but i personally came away very disappointed in how alex played on the 2 most crucial downs and have lost some faith in him.
so can he learn to finish or is it curtains for smith? lets keep this a respectable discussion folks.
I agree. Can't always blame the play calling. Plays break down and improvising is needed sometimes...that's when good players become great!
