LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 224 users in the forums

smith @ end of game

Shop Find 49ers gear online
danimal you should watch the game. I saw smiith drive the length of the feild twice to win the game only to have gore fumble and davis and crabs drop td passes. What more do you want. Oh 50 seconds on there own ten yeah thats gonna happen. Didnt the defense have a chance to stop them and take the game into ot? Oh but alex missed that wr running buckwild. Wake up.
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
Originally posted by danimal:
Absolutely.

This thread is not about "blame"

It is about accurately labeling your players.

Alex Smith will not be a great QB. When you need him to overcome other peoples mistakes and save the game for you......7 times out of 10 he is not going to get it done.

So its his fault the GW TD was dropped

Oh boy

Are you hard of reading?

My apologizes I read quickly

No prob.

Hey at the end of the day, its not a bad thing to have a Good QB....it means we have a shot at hitting the next level with a couple more Patrick Willis types.

On the same note. I also am pretty convinced that Vernon Davis does not have it in him to be our Savior either.

The Future of the 49ers may include Smith to Davis as the Meat and Potatoes of the offensive production. But as far as clutch Superstars, I can only hope Crabtree takes over that role
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Bottom line with only 50 seconds on our own ten with the score tyied I am yelling at the tv to run the damn ball and take into ot. The coaching staff lost this game. Seattle could have only stopped the clock twice and would have recieved the punt with about ten seconds. Come on

Yes, the real lesson of this game is what we have known for months now...we have no run blocking.
Originally posted by ninersush:
let me first say this is not to bash/luv on anyone. i would just like to see if anyone's thoughts are similar to mine or why not.

smith played a great game today for the most part. the drops/fumbles/coaching (3 TOs in Q1 amongst other things) killed us.

yet in the end we had the ball tied with about 50 secs to go. everyone was expecting smith would drive us down for a game winning score (FG or TD).

this is when a good qb becomes great. this is when leaders/winners are made. this is when u need ur qb to win the game.

however, alex had his 2 worst plays at that point. very disappointing.

and at this point you forget all the mistakes that have happened to this point. all the other stuff. all that matters is scoring. somehow. someway. and it didn't happen.

so i'm left to think that alex is good but not great. i don't if it is something that he can learn....that is being clutch in critical moments or is it something you just have.

but i personally came away very disappointed in how alex played on the 2 most crucial downs and have lost some faith in him.

so can he learn to finish or is it curtains for smith? lets keep this a respectable discussion folks.

VD And Gore need to finish the game , not Alex he played a perfect today ...What a lame post ....
Absolutely.

This thread is not about "blame"

It is about accurately labeling your players.

Alex Smith will not be a great QB. When you need him to overcome other peoples mistakes and save the game for you......7 times out of 10 he is not going to get it done.

So its his fault the GW TD was dropped

Oh boy

Are you hard of reading?

My apologizes I read quickly

No prob.

Hey at the end of the day, its not a bad thing to have a Good QB....it means we have a shot at hitting the next level with a couple more Patrick Willis types.

On the same note. I also am pretty convinced that Vernon Davis does not have it in him to be our Savior either.

The Future of the 49ers may include Smith to Davis as the Meat and Potatoes of the offensive production. But as far as clutch Superstars, I can only hope Crabtree takes over that role

I feel Alex could continue this into next year only if we keep Raye. Rayes warming up to me I believe Sing had him on lock down. I feel you on VD he will NEVER be a superstar TE. Well correction he will to "stats" guys but he will never get and make that catch when you need him to. For instance I know they didnt win but the ATL/PHI game its 4 and 1 ATL has the ball they do a playaction and Tony G runs a GREAT route to get his defender off but the throw is horrible doen to TGs feet right on the sideline but natuarally he caught it. Davis will never be that guy for us. I think Crabs will.

Oh and props to JMO he taken alot of flack this year but man way to hangon to that TD while gettin poped
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Bottom line with only 50 seconds on our own ten with the score tyied I am yelling at the tv to run the damn ball and take into ot. The coaching staff lost this game. Seattle could have only stopped the clock twice and would have recieved the punt with about ten seconds. Come on

Yes, the real lesson of this game is what we have known for months now...we have no run blocking.

very good point. the coaching staff as usual put us in a position to lose.

however, my only counter point to this is....they are showing confidence in alex and giving him a chance to shine and be a winner. that is why they called 3 passing plays. they said hey alex you took us this far, now finish it for us. imho.
let me first say this is not to bash/luv on anyone. i would just like to see if anyone's thoughts are similar to mine or why not.

smith played a great game today for the most part. the drops/fumbles/coaching (3 TOs in Q1 amongst other things) killed us.

yet in the end we had the ball tied with about 50 secs to go. everyone was expecting smith would drive us down for a game winning score (FG or TD).

this is when a good qb becomes great. this is when leaders/winners are made. this is when u need ur qb to win the game.

however, alex had his 2 worst plays at that point. very disappointing.

and at this point you forget all the mistakes that have happened to this point. all the other stuff. all that matters is scoring. somehow. someway. and it didn't happen.

so i'm left to think that alex is good but not great. i don't if it is something that he can learn....that is being clutch in critical moments or is it something you just have.

but i personally came away very disappointed in how alex played on the 2 most crucial downs and have lost some faith in him.

so can he learn to finish or is it curtains for smith? lets keep this a respectable discussion folks.

Clutch play is the difference between good and great!
some of you guys are missing my point. i know there were mistakes and all.

but we had a chance to win with 50 secs left. if smith made better decisions/throws and we had more drops then i can say smith was not to blame at all. but it did not happen that way. he made bad plays when it was most cluth.

the 2nd & 3 pass to hill was bad. and so was the 3rd & 3 to crabs i think.

but can the lack of clutch play be fixed or not? that is all i'm asking.
  • Chico
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Originally posted by Chico:
this is a valid point. I like Alex but he needs to close these games when the game is on the line. He has failed too may times. He had time against the Texans and failed, he had time today twice and failed. Frank failed, VD failed, Crabs failed... this team has let me down too many times this year.

Sorry, but that's total crap. He closed the game twice, once when he bounced the winning TD off Vernon's helmet and once when he lead a drive from his 1 yard line to Seattle's 20, where Frank fumbled. He also lead them down the field for a tying TD.

And against Houston he came in at 1/2 time, down 3 TD's.

This is a team game. Maybe you should pay a bit of attention to the other players.

Then why is it that JOE always won these games?
Originally posted by Bobbi9698:
Bad play calling

This....we should have played for OT....the Niners where at there 15 no way where going to drive the field with 50 seconds.....I gotta put that on Sing.

some of you guys are missing my point. i know there were mistakes and all.

but we had a chance to win with 50 secs left. if smith made better decisions/throws and we had more drops then i can say smith was not to blame at all. but it did not happen that way. he made bad plays when it was most cluth.

the 2nd & 3 pass to hill was bad. and so was the 3rd & 3 to crabs i think.

but can the lack of clutch play be fixed or not? that is all i'm asking.

Yes, it can. Look at the improvement Smith has made. He's coming. He's gaining confidence. The next step is becoming the guy who can't be stopped when the game is on the line.

He needs a bit more time and he needs to have confidence in his receivers/blockers, etc.

But he can learn it.
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
this is a valid point. I like Alex but he needs to close these games when the game is on the line. He has failed too may times. He had time against the Texans and failed, he had time today twice and failed. Frank failed, VD failed, Crabs failed... this team has let me down too many times this year.

Sorry, but that's total crap. He closed the game twice, once when he bounced the winning TD off Vernon's helmet and once when he lead a drive from his 1 yard line to Seattle's 20, where Frank fumbled. He also lead them down the field for a tying TD.

And against Houston he came in at 1/2 time, down 3 TD's.

This is a team game. Maybe you should pay a bit of attention to the other players.

Then why is it that JOE always won these games?

If his WR's dropped the game winner then he wouldn't of, 1 guy can only do so much. Lats time I checked Rice wasn't running routes for SMITH.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I see what youre saying but why didn't you make this thread about Davis or Crabtree? I mean honestly at what point do we hold other accountable to? Alex pretty much led us on a great 90+ yard game winning drive only to be let down by VD and Crabtree. It's a whole different level of play and mentality when you're driving with 3 min vs 48 seconds. And the play call on 3rd and 3 at the end was just plain retarded. If there was ever a time for our conservaball 3 yards and a cloud of dust that was the time.

Alex Smith and Patrick Willis were the only ones that showed up today.

. . . and if Gore does not fumble on the long drive, we win the game and Smith is the hero.

Agreed.

Because as Jerry Rice said, when a receivers hands touch the ball it should be caught.

Haters can Blame Smith all you want because while he had a good day, yes the team lost.

But I DARE anyone do me this favor. Tell me a team that's had 10 dropped passes from their TE's and WR's. And their main weapon fumble on a key drive. not 1, but 2, maybe 3 dropped TD passes.

Just name an actual proven playoff team thats had the same. I've seen 5 int's. But not 10 drops collectively on key drives. At what point do we hold the other personel, other than that QB, as Sing says, "accountable".

[ Edited by Jersey9er on Dec 6, 2009 at 19:32:19 ]
Originally posted by tohara3:
Don't forget on the drive before he hit Vernon in his hands & he dropped a touchdown. Then Crabtree wasn't looking for the ball that would have been a touchdown.

Yep. Its frustrating that people only think of that last drive. The only difference between that last drive and the one before where VD dropped a TD pass was the time on the clock. With 4 mins on the clock and that would-be TD pass, everyone thought that would be the Niners last shot at it.

The only thing on the last drive that I didnt like was throwing it down the field. I would have liked to see him step up and run it or do a dump off there, but everything else he was expected to do in the game he did. Its unfortunate that nobody else did. Not Gore, Not VD, Not Crab, Not the coaches, Not Brandon Jones. Patrick Willis and Alex Smith both played just about as well as you could ask.

I am getting tired of saying "if _____ didnt drop that, Smith would have had _ TDs" Last game it was "If Crabtree didnt drop that, Smith would have had 3 TDs". This game it was "If Davis and Walker didnt drop those, Smith would have had 4 TDs"
So how many 4th QTR comeback wins does Alex Smith have? 1? 2? maybe 3? maybe none?

How many opportunities has he had in his career? 10? 15?

Now you can look at each of those failed comebacks and argue he was not the primary reason we lost.

But at some point you have to look at the entire set don't ya?
Share 49ersWebzone