There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Reality Check People

Originally posted by B650:
Originally posted by geturembedder:
Originally posted by 49ersking:

What the heck is this spread offense? So Alex can only function as a QB if there are 3-4 WR sets all the time? What that says is he is a "limited" QB. We can't win with "limited" QBs...I believe Shaun Hill was replaced just for that reason.

This is by far the most realistic argument against Smith that we have seen. However, I think it's just more the passing plays designed out of our limited run sets are atrocious.
Where are the stretch plays? Counters? Anything to run off of our plays. Our running plays actually hurt our passing plays, because in order to stop both a DC just needs to crowd the line.

I agree, but the thing is, it seems like it's all or nothing with Raye. Either we line up in the I and run the ball up the gut, or we go into a spread and pass the ball. Has he ever heard of compromise? You don't always have to have 4 or 5 WRs on every play. How about 3? How about get creative? I don't think Smith absolutely needs to operate from a spread offense, but it just seems that way because of Raye's horrendous plays. Turner didn't have Smith run a spread, but he seemed fine that year (for a 2nd-year QB).

I posted a similar gripe in the spread thread.

I definitely agree with you where he gets tunnel vision. I want to see more of a balance there. We definitely need more formation variety. But I can sort of see why we do what we do when these knuckleheads keep making the same mistakes play after play.
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The bottom line is that this team was incredibly underprepared for this game, and was blown out early in the contest.

McCarthy made Singletary and staff look silly.

This is what had me so pissed off! We had a bye week more or less & got our asses handed to us!
Great post, good points....it's just too bad that here in Niner Talk Land great points equate to: Excuses...
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfan27:
First off, this is sings first year, anyone who though we were making the playoffs is an idiot. Secondly, this is rayes first year implementing his offensive system, if teams picked up an offensive system in 1 year, Tod Haley's Chiefs would be superbowl contenders. Thirdly, Alex Smith came in halfway through the season without developing a rapport with the 1st teamers, oh and did i mention our starting receiver is a rookie. You people with your complaints of fire sing and start Nate Davis, I seriously think half the people on this board are mentally unstable, and i'm serious about that. Everybody just needs to shut up and look for constant improvement each week, which in all honesty, even it's for a half, i am seeing. We will be legit next year, we finally have franchise players we just need a year of stability. Everyone please calm down and just sit back and relax.

Mariucci made the playoffs in his 1st year. Anyone who thinks that we should wait decades every single time we hire a new coach is also an idiot.

Not a very good argument at all Mr. 650. The Mooch situation was a completely different situation on most if not all fronts. Even the biggest of moron's who have followed 49er football long enough knows the reasons why, so, no explanation is necessary.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
atlanta made the leap from 4-12 to a playoff team with a rookie head coach and rookie QB.

And a rookie left tackle protecting the QB's blind side!
  • B650
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Blitz:
First off, this is sings first year, anyone who though we were making the playoffs is an idiot. Secondly, this is rayes first year implementing his offensive system, if teams picked up an offensive system in 1 year, Tod Haley's Chiefs would be superbowl contenders. Thirdly, Alex Smith came in halfway through the season without developing a rapport with the 1st teamers, oh and did i mention our starting receiver is a rookie. You people with your complaints of fire sing and start Nate Davis, I seriously think half the people on this board are mentally unstable, and i'm serious about that. Everybody just needs to shut up and look for constant improvement each week, which in all honesty, even it's for a half, i am seeing. We will be legit next year, we finally have franchise players we just need a year of stability. Everyone please calm down and just sit back and relax.

Mariucci made the playoffs in his 1st year. Anyone who thinks that we should wait decades every single time we hire a new coach is also an idiot.

Not a very good argument at all Mr. 650. The Mooch situation was a completely different situation on most if not all fronts. Even the biggest of moron's who have followed 49er football long enough knows the reasons why, so, no explanation is necessary.

Do I have to make you a list of all the other hundreds of new coaches that did make the playoffs their 1st year? There are a lot of morons out there who know that.
Yes we do have a rookie WR starting, but is he playing like a rookie? Not really. Yes Alex stepped in mid season, but since then we haven't put him ina position to be successful. Certainly the offensive line deserves a lot of the blame for that, but Singletary wanting to be a power running team that dinks and dunks its way down the field behind this line with a QB who is 1000x better in another system, and refusing to change this mindset when it's obvious that we don't fit the mold is very troubling.

It's the job of a head coach to understand his team and put them in a place to be successful, Singletary has failed at this. It's his first full year, but he was the HC through 1/2 the season last year and had been on the staff for year before that, he should have had an easy transition and a high understanding of this team.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran

Do I have to make you a list of all the other hundreds of new coaches that did make the playoffs their 1st year? There are a lot of morons out there who know that.

Point taken. However, your original argument is still not very good at all. The Mooch situation was completely different. Someone would have to be pretty jaded in thier opinion not to see it.

Now, lets not exaggerate...there aren't "hundreds" of coaches as you claim. Not even close. Your claim that "there are a lot of morons out there who know that" says what it says...there are indeed a lot of morons out there if they are believing that s**t. This is a hard ass business, made a lot f**king harder since FA and parity arrived on the scene, there are only a few haves and a whole lot of have not's. That's the nature of the beast. My guess is there might be maybe 20 coaches(on a good day) in the span of the entire history of the NFL, out of what... a hundred/s of coaches? If you dispute this assertion..then feel free to produce a numbered list stretching from 1 to 100.

Absent that, I get the gist of the frustration you are trying to convey, and I'm calling BS on the rest of it.
[ Edited by Blitz on Nov 23, 2009 at 9:37 PM ]
Not sure if Singletary has enough X's and O's knowledge to properly prepare this team for games week in and week out
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The bottom line is that this team was incredibly underprepared for this game, and was blown out early in the contest.

McCarthy made Singletary and staff look silly.

This is what had me so pissed off! We had a bye week more or less & got our asses handed to us!

This is what I saw: An offensive line that couldn't function for jack s**t in the first half. This was not a rare thing with this line, what was relatively rare was the fact they actually functioned consistently in the second half.

On the defensive side of the ball, I saw piss f**king poor tackling everywhere, consistently. Bad angles, arms flailing around...pop warner s**t. Goldson may have looked the worst of them by far....he looked bad, real bad. Hell even Willis looked uncharacteristically bad at times yesterday.
  • B650
  • Veteran

Point taken. However, your original argument is still not very good at all. The Mooch situation was completely different. Someone would have to be pretty jaded in thier opinion not to see it.

Now, lets not exaggerate...there aren't "hundreds" of coaches as you claim. Not even close. Your claim that "there are a lot of morons out there who know that" says what it says...there are indeed a lot of morons out there if they are believing that s**t. This is a hard ass business, made a lot f**king harder since FA and parity arrived on the scene, there are only a few haves and a whole lot of have not's. That's the nature of the beast. My guess is there might be maybe 20 coaches(on a good day) in the span of the entire history of the NFL, out of what... a hundred/s of coaches? If you dispute this assertion..then feel free to produce a numbered list stretching from 1 to 100.

Absent that, I get the gist of the frustration you are trying to convey, and I'm calling BS on the rest of it.

The main point I was trying to make was that we, as fans, are tired of excuses. Smith is still 25 years old, York is a new owner, the uniforms are new, the stadium issue is causing negative energy, the fans are too passive, we have a hard schedule, and now, we have a rookie head coach. Seriously? Is having a rookie head coach an excuse for having a losing season? If it was, why in the hell would York hire Singletary in the first place, considering we've been losing for 6 years in a row? We're on pace for our 7th consecutive losing season. What's next year's excuse going to be? We're still rebuilding? Doesn't it get old?

What do we have to do then? Do we have to wait another decade until Singletary gets it? Do we have to wait until Raye knows how to run an offense? Singletary was hired because York felt that he would give us a chance to end our losing and make the playoffs THIS season. That's a fact. Now the fans are starting to use Singletary as an excuse for not making the playoffs? The fans should be asking...scratch that...demanding the ownership put out a winning product. Enough excuses. Get the right people in here and LET'S GO. Shanahan or Holmgren would have this team playing at a much higher level. I honestly believe that we should be 7-3 right now. A lot of it is coaching. It's a reason, but it shouldn't be an excuse. I'm not going to sit here and be happy with being 4-6, just because we have a rookie head coach. That's the point. I'm tired of losing. I believe the reason we're 4-6 is because of bad coaching, but at the same time, I don't use that as an excuse because it was York's decision to hire him in the first place, and this is after the brilliant decisions by 49ers management to hire Erickson, followed by Nolan. A pattern is developing, and it shouldn't be used as an excuse.
[ Edited by B650 on Nov 24, 2009 at 12:44 AM ]
Originally posted by teeohh:
Coaches win in their first year, it happened last year, it's not impossible

Why should we lower our expectations just because it's his first year? Sing practically promised us the playoffs, "we'll see them (vikings) in the playoffs". Now what? Look where we're at. I'm so tired of this s**t I'm beginning to doubt the guy.

I think he meant we will see them in the playoffs on TV from our living rooms where the 49ers will be seeing them from.